IGNORED

Marriage and government

Guest K9Buck

It's my view that the government should NOT be in the marriage business.  In my view, people should get "married" within their own, private organization and then they can tell whoever they like that they're "married".  I'm NOT saying that government shouldn't recognize marriage; I'm simply saying that government should NOT be in the business of issuing marriage licenses and actually marrying people.  

I know this will never happen because a majority of people apparently want government running everything under the sun, but it would resolve a lot of issues.  

If two guys want to get married within their private organization and then announce that they're "married", that's ok with me.  If six women and three guys want to get married within their organization, that's ok with me too.  Live and let live.  Who am I to dictate to them as to whether or not they can be married?  It doesn't affect me in the least.  

What are your thoughts?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

Im my state, there are mormon polygamists. The local law enforcement are oart of that cult so not much ever gets done. They manage to skirt the law by marrying within their church. The adults force underage girls into marriage with adult men. The stories that come out of that cult are horrifying. A group called tapestry tries to help the women get out of that. A reporter named mike watkiss was raised in that and made a series of videos called the polygamist diaries that exposes the problems in polygamous towns. He is not a polygamist btw. 

And this you feel is live and let live? 

Not to mention how much this is against the bible. 

To answer your question, I feel that marriage should be how He ordained it. One man with one woman. He didnt specify how it should be recognized so I do not have any problems with it being in conjunction with the govt. 

• Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, Sonshine said:

Live and let live?  You don’t care if people are lost, K9Buck?  

Sure, but I don't believe that I should deny them their free will by using government to force them to conform to my personal philosophy.  It's not like abortion, wherein an innocent third party is harmed. 

How would you feel about living under Sharia Law if and when Muslims become the majority?  No thanks.  

3 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

And this you feel is live and let live?  

Forcing an underage girl to marry someone is contradictory to the concept of "live and let live" because she is denied her right to choose whether or not to get married as well as whom to marry.  So, no, I oppose this.  

5 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

To answer your question, I feel that marriage should be how He ordained it. 

So it's your view that non-Christians should have to live under your belief system, right?  

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,280
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Days Won:  2

42 minutes ago, K9Buck said:

It's my view that the government should NOT be in the marriage business.  In my view, people should get "married" within their own, private organization and then they can tell whoever they like that they're "married".  I'm NOT saying that government shouldn't recognize marriage; I'm simply saying that government should NOT be in the business of issuing marriage licenses and actually marrying people.  

I know this will never happen because a majority of people apparently want government running everything under the sun, but it would resolve a lot of issues.  

If two guys want to get married within their private organization and then announce that they're "married", that's ok with me.  If six women and three guys want to get married within their organization, that's ok with me too.  Live and let live.  Who am I to dictate to them as to whether or not they can be married?  It doesn't affect me in the least.  

What are your thoughts?

That is fine as long as nobody else has to accept it.

• Haha 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  65
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

It might be that the government got into the business of regulating marriage in order to have authority to keep the community stable, by legislating things like not being too young, not being too closely related, and providing for laws that address the transfer of property if there are no previously decided plans.  One would think that those kinds of sensible expectations would be natural to all people, but apparently somewhere along the line it wasn't.  Unfortunately other aspects were legislated that didn't make sense, like forbidding inter-racial marriage back in the 1970's.  Not all states have the same rules, and it's an interesting study.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

18 minutes ago, K9Buck said:

So it's your view that non-Christians should have to live under your belief system, right?  

It is the system that has been in the us since we were founded. I see no reason to change.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,280
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Days Won:  2

Just now, ayin jade said:

It is the system that has been in the us since we were founded. I see no reason to change.

Nobody is forcing anyone into getting government recognition.  There are common law marriages and churches that will marry a couple without a license if they want that.  I don't see a need to change it, except we shouldn't have gay marriage forced on us.