IGNORED

Which Christian denomination is true?

Guest K9Buck

3 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

I refer to myself as a woman of faith. Now that I have recently learned that the term Christian is in the Bible, I may change my description and call myself a non denominational Christian. It sounds more accurate.

Whatever you do, don't tell anyone you're a Catholic!  ;):red-neck-laughing-smiley-emoticon:

2 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

Sorry, I don't understand, although I get that you are being funny?

Yea, some freak out when one tells them they're Catholic.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,247
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

9 minutes ago, K9Buck said:

Yea, some freak out when one tells them they're Catholic.  

When I learn that someone I'm talking to is catholic, I thank the lord for answering my prayer, 
and the privilege,  to share His good news with someone. (Like a faithful believer did for me)
I find it exciting, and what could be 'more better', to introduce them to an eternity with our creator.

• Well Said! 2

• Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

2 hours ago, K9Buck said:

I didn't mention Catholicism because I already know that members here reject that doctrine.  I'm not trying to "stir debate" but I do enjoy the opportunity to learn from others, particularly those who don't necessarily share my values or beliefs.  I like having my beliefs challenged and I enjoy challenging others to do the same.  I believe it's healthy.  

I like having my beliefs challenged and I enjoy challenging others to do the same.  I believe it's healthy.  

The best way of doing that is by reading the Bible,if it disagrees with what your church is teaching is called false teaching,so stick with the Bible and you can't go wrong,are you born again?

1 John 3 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

Children of God Love One Another

3 See [a]how great a love the Father has bestowed on us, that we would be called children of God; and such we are. For this reason the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. 2 Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we will be. We know that when He appears, we will be like Him, because we will see Him just as He is. 3 And everyone who has this hope fixed on Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.

4 Everyone who practices sin also practices lawlessness; and sin is lawlessness. 5 You know that He appeared in order to take away sins; and in Him there is no sin. 6 No one who abides in Him sins; no one who sins has seen Him or knows Him. 7 Little children, make sure no one deceives you; the one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous; 8 the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil [c]has sinned from the beginning. The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil. 9 No one who is [d]born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is [e]born of God. 10 By this the children of God and the children of the devil are obvious: [f]anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor the one who does not love his brother.

11 For this is the message which you have heard from the beginning, that we should love one another; 12 not as Cain, who was of the evil one and slew his brother. And for what reason did he slay him? Because his deeds were evil, and his brother’s were righteous.

13 Do not be surprised, brethren, if the world hates you. 14 We know that we have passed out of death into life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love abides in death. 15 Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer; and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him. 16 We know love by this, that He laid down His life for us; and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 17 But whoever has the world’s goods, and sees his brother in need and closes his [g]heart [h]against him, how does the love of God abide in him? 18 Little children, let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth. 19 We will know by this that we are of the truth, and will assure our heart before Him 20 [j]in whatever our heart condemns us; for God is greater than our heart and knows all things. 21 Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence [k]before God; 22 and whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do the things that are pleasing in His sight.

23 This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us. 24 The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. We know by this that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  136
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,488
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  0

10 hours ago, K9Buck said:

The Baptists?  Lutherans?  Methodists?  Who please?  Thanks.

Which denomination is true? I think they all have a piece of the Truth. I Was Born a Lutheran and raised a Baptist, But I consider myself a Christian, as Jesus is my Head. The Big difference between the Lutheran and the Baptists is the doctrine of Baptism. Lutherans still believe in infant baptism like the Catholic church, The Baptist believe in immersion after one has received Christ. In The Place of Baptism for infants, the Baptists have infant dedications. All of these differences are non essentials of the faith, and because of Human pride they divide the churches. 

God Knew this was going to be the case so he has kept the Truth divided that at the time of the end they may come together, Not in a false ecumenical movement that is preached by the Pope and Kenneth Copeland, But By a move of the Holy Spirit to unify His whole body in Spirit and Truth. 

Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love. (Eph.4:13-16)

You will find that many here have grown in Christ beyond these denominations and doctrines of men, While others still are tossed to and fro By them. The Calvinists are at odds with the Armenians, the Lutherans with the Baptists, The Catholics with the Orthodox, the OSAS side with the Conditional security camp, cesationists vs. charismatics.... The Truth is we are Christians so long as we agree on the essentials of the faith. That salvation is by Grace alone through faith alone in the death burial and resurrection of the Jesus, That through His shed blood we are forgiven of our sins and Given the gift of Life through the Spirit. A Person can receive this gift and never be baptized and yet have eternal life, and a person can receive this gift and never be a member of a physical church and still be a part of the body of Christ, A person can receive this Gift even though they have never held communion in their life and be saved. All Of the rituals that follow salvation are "in remembrance of the Him" Nothing more, and not meant to divide us but to unite us. Christianity is all about a relationship with Christ, and not a membership in a religion or denomination.

So My Question to you is are you a Christian or are you a Roman Catholic, Or a Baptist, or a Methodist? I am a Christian. All the other titles added to Christian are just the traditions and teachings of men, hence they are named after those men or the doctrines they hold to.  

• This is Worthy 3

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,463
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

In my personal opinion, none of them. I've previously given my personal view in detail. To be brief:

Denominations are mans attempt to worship God and what the Bible says on their own terms and understandings. Denominations are a split, a division in the unity of the one church under Christ. It's a division in a belief of bibliology and core tenets of the faith. Christianity is not a religion or a denomination, it is a faith, belief and trust in the One living God, in three distinct persons; God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. If we have no differences in soteriology we should be united. The non-essentials should not divide us.

The church will never be perfect until the return of Jesus. Which denomination is best? That's relative and subjective to your hermeneutic view of scripture, discernment, prayer and listening and letting the Holy Spirit speak to your heart. 

Pay particular attention to those 'denominations' that have done a one eighty. Those that have become politically correct, now embracing woman, homosexual / lesbian pastors, those that proclaim there's more than one way to heaven, prosperity Gospel preachers, those that tickle the ear and entertain from the pulpit, etc. 

If preaching Christ, Salvation, our sin and a need for a Savior, and getting the Gospel out to a dying world is not the central message of a church or denomination... Run. 

EDIT: I had written my thoughts from the perspective of a visitor, seeking a home church; not as a member of the church or regular attendee. 

Edited by Dennis1209
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,463
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

1 hour ago, dhchristian said:

Which denomination is true? I think they all have a piece of the Truth. I Was Born a Lutheran and raised a Baptist, But I consider myself a Christian, as Jesus is my Head. The Big difference between the Lutheran and the Baptists is the doctrine of Baptism. Lutherans still believe in infant baptism like the Catholic church, The Baptist believe in immersion after one has received Christ. In The Place of Baptism for infants, the Baptists have infant dedications. All of these differences are non essentials of the faith, and because of Human pride they divide the churches. 

God Knew this was going to be the case so he has kept the Truth divided that at the time of the end they may come together, Not in a false ecumenical movement that is preached by the Pope and Kenneth Copeland, But By a move of the Holy Spirit to unify His whole body in Spirit and Truth. 

Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love. (Eph.4:13-16)

You will find that many here have grown in Christ beyond these denominations and doctrines of men, While others still are tossed to and fro By them. The Calvinists are at odds with the Armenians, the Lutherans with the Baptists, The Catholics with the Orthodox, the OSAS side with the Conditional security camp, cesationists vs. charismatics.... The Truth is we are Christians so long as we agree on the essentials of the faith. That salvation is by Grace alone through faith alone in the death burial and resurrection of the Jesus, That through His shed blood we are forgiven of our sins and Given the gift of Life through the Spirit. A Person can receive this gift and never be baptized and yet have eternal life, and a person can receive this gift and never be a member of a physical church and still be a part of the body of Christ, A person can receive this Gift even though they have never held communion in their life and be saved. All Of the rituals that follow salvation are "in remembrance of the Him" Nothing more, and not meant to divide us but to unite us. Christianity is all about a relationship with Christ, and not a membership in a religion or denomination.

So My Question to you is are you a Christian or are you a Roman Catholic, Or a Baptist, or a Methodist? I am a Christian. All the other titles added to Christian are just the traditions and teachings of men, hence they are named after those men or the doctrines they hold to.  

Hey dhchristian!

Well said and explained, you bring up some excellent and true points, and I'd like to comment a bit further.

I attend and became a member of our local community Baptist Church. I too had reservations about the emphasis placed on baptism and immersion [which is totally biblical and taught]. To be brief; this independent Baptist Church exactly mirrors my own faith and hermeneutics of God's word. Even though a member of a Baptist church, I don't identify myself as a Baptist, nor any other denomination; I identify myself as an unashamed Christian. I will say Baptists like to eat and socialize though  :D

It's very important for a Christian to attend church every time the church door are open. No need to explain all the benefits and reasons why. Before requesting membership to this particular Baptist church, I felt I needed to do research on their doctrines, beliefs, statement of faith and church covenant. I'm here to tell ya, I was surprised to find out some things, the denomination is not lumped together. The Baptist's have a number of denominations even between themselves. That lead me to ask the Pastor and other members of my church, "exactly, which spin off are we?". 

Continuing my research, I found a number of bizarre things that happened and are being submitted and proposed by the delegates of the Southern [and others] Baptist conventions. Satan and the politically correct world is getting their foot hold in the Baptist denomination also to be brief.

The pastors response when I asked about these things was; we were 'independent', and he's aware of these things also. The churches and word of God is being attacked like never before. 

Edited by Dennis1209
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,247
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

19 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

In my personal opinion, none of them. I've previously given my personal view in detail. To be brief:

Denominations are mans attempt to worship God and what the Bible says on their own terms and understandings. Denominations are a split, a division in the unity of the one church under Christ. It's a division in a belief of bibliology and core tenets of the faith. Christianity is not a religion or a denomination, it is a faith, belief and trust in the One living God, in three distinct persons; God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. If we have no differences in soteriology we should be united. The non-essentials should not divide us.

The church will never be perfect until the return of Jesus. Which denomination is best? That's relative and subjective to your hermeneutic view of scripture, discernment, prayer and listening and letting the Holy Spirit speak to your heart. 

Pay particular attention to those 'denominations' that have done a one eighty. Those that have become politically correct, now embracing woman, homosexual / lesbian pastors, those that proclaim there's more than one way to heaven, prosperity Gospel preachers, those that tickle the ear and entertain from the pulpit, etc. 

If preaching Christ, Salvation, our sin and a need for a Savior, and getting the Gospel out to a dying world is not the central message of a church or denomination... Run. 

I personally agree with what you have stated as your personal opinion, except the last line.
Before 'abandoning' a sinking ship, as good stewards, great effort should be made to 'plug' the holes, first.
Several years back, our new pastor brought in a charismatic music director, his previous friend, and later we found/caught
him laying on hands  to many different choir members and others to proclaim he had direct messages from God for them.
Pastor was confronted this was against our core beliefs, but would not change his mind, after much prayer and discussions.
The pastor felt God had told him to choose this individual, would not change his mind, and would not replace him.
The eventual result, a church split. Pastor and music director ask then forced to leave.
Our first church split after a hundred and thirty plus years.
Result was the pastor and leaving members and music director started a new small church.
A few months later, they let the music director go.
Most people will try to fix a car, a leaky roof, a friendship or marriage, etc,
before throwing them out to find a new one to replace it.
If all those mature solid believers run when the problems get tough,
then there is no hope for the growing body of fellowship. Reality is there are always problems in every church.
I agree we should not join a church fellowship if it did not proclaim core doctrine truth.
I would keep looking, as led.

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,157
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Those who claim nondenominational are in and of themselves a denomination :24:  
Bottom line:

John 7:17-18

17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

18 He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.
KJV

Rom 6:17-18

17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.
KJV

Rom 16:17

17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.
KJV

1 Cor 14:6

6 Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?
KJV

all this doctrine is derived from 'The Scriptures'

2 Tim 3:16-17

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
KJV

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

No denomination is true. Having a true personal relationship with God is true. 

• Thumbs Up 1