• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  591
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/15/1989

I was studying last night and I came across a few verses I really did not understand.I was wondering if anyone could help me out..

to the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his believing wife and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise you children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

1 Corinthians 7:12-14

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  473
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

I have no claim to being a Bible scholar so at times I search online. This might help you :24:

http://www.searchgodsword.org/com/bcc/view...1co&chapter=007

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

Ericka,

I don't claim to be a Bible scholar, either, but my understanding of those verses are in reference to a marriage between a Christian and a nonbeliever. (The apostle Paul was in authority at this time.) If the nonbeliever becomes a Christian during the time of this marriage, then the same conditions apply as do to marriages where both spouses are Christians. They are to remain together. It states that seperation must be initiated by the unbeliever, not the believer. This way, the Christian would be released and isn't bound to keep the marriage going.

I believe verse 14 is stating that a marriage between a Christian and a nonbeliever should stay together because the Christian's influence can result in the saving of the whole family.

I'm not married. Perhaps others who are married, who may have had some pre-marital counseling even, may have a more thorough understanding of these scriptures.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  91
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Ericka,

I don't claim to be a Bible scholar, either, but my understanding of those verses are in reference to a marriage between a Christian and a nonbeliever.  (The apostle Paul was in authority at this time.)  If the nonbeliever becomes a Christian during the time of this marriage, then the same conditions apply as do to marriages where both spouses are Christians.  They are to remain together.  It states that seperation must be initiated by the unbeliever, not the believer.  This way, the Christian would be released and isn't bound to keep the marriage going.

I believe verse 14 is stating that a marriage between a Christian and a nonbeliever should stay together because the Christian's influence can result in the saving of the whole family. 

I'm not married.  Perhaps others who are married, who may have had some pre-marital counseling even, may have a more thorough understanding of these scriptures.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:blink:

Just wanted to add an example to be thought on... Rahab & her family

Thank you, all 3 of you for your responses!

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  1,091
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

Ericka,

1Co 7:12 But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.

Paul starts out by addressing a believing husband who has a non-believing wife. The husband is not to divorce the wife due to her unsaved condition.

1Co 7:13 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.

And, ditto the other way around. It applies to both men and women, husbands and wives.

1Co 7:14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

The unbelieving spouse receives blessing and benefit from being married to a believer. God blesses the home of the faithful (Proverbs 3:33), so the unbelieving spouse becomes a beneficiary of that.

Also, it says that "the children are holy." I think this is a reference to the state of the soul of a child. If a Christian's children die prematurely (young and before they can understand the concept of sin, salvation, etc.) they will be saved.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  89
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  01/07/1988

This means that if you are married and you just became a Christian, but your partner does not become a Christian, do not divorce your partner--pray for them.

Guest Zayit
Ericka,

1Co 7:12  But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.

Paul starts out by addressing a believing husband who has a non-believing wife. The husband is not to divorce the wife due to her unsaved condition.

1Co 7:13  And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.

And, ditto the other way around. It applies to both men and women, husbands and wives.

1Co 7:14  For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

The unbelieving spouse receives blessing and benefit from being married to a believer. God blesses the home of the faithful (Proverbs 3:33), so the unbelieving spouse becomes a beneficiary of that.

Also, it says that "the children are holy." I think this is a reference to the state of the soul of a child. If a Christian's children die prematurely (young and before they can understand the concept of sin, salvation, etc.) they will be saved.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What of young children born to heathens? Are they doomed?

Ericka,

1Co 7:12

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  1,091
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

Ericka,

1Co 7:12  But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.

1Co 7:13  And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.

1Co 7:14  For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What of young children born to heathens? Are they doomed?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I don't have all of the answers, but that passage says that "else would they be unclean."

This is a difficult thing to understand from our earthly position, but God Who is all-wise knows what to do. There are many hard saying in the Bible that don't "make sense" to our puny earthly understanding... things such as:

Rom 9:18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.

Rom 9:19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?

Rom 9:20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?

Rom 9:21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

Rom 9:22 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:

Rom 9:23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,

Some things we have to leave in God's hands.