Guest shadow2b

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  270
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

That's the difference between being "in" the world and being "of" the world.

Timothy, thank you for this statement!!!  Often it seems that people forget they DO live in this world...this statement helps me a lot!!  THANK YOU!  :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Any suggestions on how to explain to my sons (6, 8, 10) why I can't allow Yu-Gi-Oh?  

Laroka - The only thing that really can explain it to them is for them to understand the danger and the reality of the occult, or rather of demons and demonic activity.  That is really what this is all about.

Mind you, demonic activity does not occur the way that is portrayed in the movies.  What happens in reality is worse, I believe.

I have had dreams that mirrored what is shown in the movies - what makes it worse is that you are not incomplete control of yourself or your senses in such dreams.  It's hard to speak the Word and speak the name of Jesus when you lose your ability to speak!  I have also experienced fear as if it were a presence; I know it was not my fear, but the fear was all in and around me.  I've known other things, too, but I do not know how people here would react to what I say, because I know there are differences in opinions on such, and I don't want to be engaging in a debate here about it.

I know there are Christians who have no problem or seeming consequences with reading Harry Potter or these game cards and such.  But I know such things are very dangerous for me, because I have a different kind-of sensitivity to the spiritual realm and have been hit very badly with such.   I have also struggled with being drawn towards the kind of spiritual power that does not come from God.  The only thing that saved me from falling into it was tha fact that I did love God and did not want to involve myself in those spiritual activities His word says not to.  

If there is divination, sorcery, witchcraft, possession, familiar spirits, casting spells, and the like - these are things of which the LORD called "abominations."  There's a reason for which the LORD commands us to not have anything to do with them.  Remember what happened to King Saul when he consulted a medium.  You may not see or encounter the consequences or the dangers as quickly as he did, but is it worth the risk?

These are the things you need to teach your children.  You may have to do some research yourself.  There are Christian books that speak of the occult and the demonic realm.

:P  Then again, if nothing else, there is the issue of whether your children want to please their "having fun" or to please the Lord.  They need to make their own decision in this.   Ask them to seek the LORD for themselves in regards to these card games.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

I never heard of yugi, thought pokemon was innocent. But, don't really have to worry 'bout it 'cause my 12 year old isn't interested.

However, the yugi picture did look a bit like the dragonballZ stuff that he faithfully watches every day. I even let him put his homework aside to watch the half hour show. I am usually good about what I allow them to watch, funny how you don't even think about it with cartoons. If anyone knows anything about this dragonballZ thing that I should know, please post it. Thanks.

Funny you should mention D-Z.

My brother started watching that show, and curiosity got the better of me.  I'll be honest and say I have mixed feelings about the show.

On the negative side, there is the violence, the reliance on "self", Goku is the world's savior time and time again (actually, he is called "Earth's Hero"), and the heavy Eastern religion influence (focusing your energy and stuff like that).  One minor character (seen in only a few episodes) is a witch who rides a crystal ball and has the power to bring a dead person to "life" for a day.  Another character is "a dirty old man" - but on the bright side he is continuously punished for this (if only he'd learn and change!).  The dragonballs themselves are "magic" objects that when brought together call forth "The Eternal Dragon," an all-powerful being who can grant any wish.

Oddly enough, though, the Holy Spirit has spoken to me through this show!  Go figure!  :P  The interesting thing about Goku is that he has a heart full of mercy.  Many enemies who were bent on destroying him he had the chance to kill, but allowed them a second chance.  Often the bad guy would take advantage of this.  But with at least two of the characters (Picallo and Vegeta), this show of mercy paid off, as both later became allies - even friends - and became one of the good guys.  (And they both started as heartless evil beings.)  Picallo actually learned to love through Goku's son, Gohan, as Picallo began to train him for battle while Goku was away (long story).  Vegeta went through a much longer transformation, as he had to learn that Goku's greater power came not through excessive training or such (Vegeta's motive was always selfish - he was obsessed with being superior) but because Goku fought out of love - to protect the earth from destruction and especially to protect his family and friends.  Greater love has no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.  This he does many times over.   Likewise, there are several characters that become better people (or creatures) because of Goku's influence.  He never holds a grudge, even against former enemies, and only ends the lives of those he absolutely has to in order to save the lives of those the enemy would ruthlessly destroy (i.e. the entire population of earth).

The show also has tons of humor, mostly innocent - and I need as much laughter as I can get!

I normally do not like Jap-anime.  Most of it has a "dark" feel to it.  I don't know how or why I do not sense that from this show.

The best you can do, really, is to seek the Lord about this.  Maybe ask Him to show you some form of sign ("fleece") about this.  You can also talk with your son about the spiritual aspects of the show, teaching him how to analyze for himself what he watches in the light of God.

Hope this helps!

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

YIKES @ your third paragraph!! *Slapping my head* WHY am I allowing him to sit in front of something day after day and not even checking it out? ? ? ? ? Duh. I need to wake up and realize that cartoons are no longer Fred Flinstone!!

Thanks for the info. :P

You're welcome!  Glad I could help.  :a2:

• 2 months later...
Guest Neoken

Everyone's getting this all WRONG!! THESE PEOPLE DO NOT UNDERSTAND YU-GI-OH AT ALL!!! YES, I admit there are mentions of the occult in Yu-Gi-Oh. I understand this. But there is no reason to condemn a series based completely on friendship and caring because of it! I'm a Christian too, but these people have gone completely overboard in their zeal. I can judge what is right and wrong about the series. I can ignore the occult and instead listen to the messages of love the series gives, of self-sacrifice to help friends, to be kind and forgiving towards others--Christian principles if I'm not mistaken!

It's been repeatedly stated that Yu-Gi-Oh is not a series for children. The way 4Kids is marketing it totally messes things up. I mean, to take out only a part of the adult-ish content and leave the rest in is just wrong. It doesn't make it "kid-friendly." The site comments caustically on the "sacrificing" and cites instances of human sacrifice! Come on! They're just holograms, for Pete's sake! NOT...LIVING...BEINGS.

I've seen pages like this before, and time and time again, they anger me. I know possession is a serious issue. It's something I'm not comfortable with, but I endure it for the sake of the terrific anime and manga Takahashi has created. There are mature themes in Yu-Gi-Oh. This isn't a show for kids. But it's not evil incarnate, either. As far as I could see, that site has taken the Bible out of context to prove their point.

AND YUGI DOESN'T PRAY TO YAMI!!! HOW could they possibly mangle the intent of the series so badly? This is just like the groups that declared that Pok

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  40
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Hello my brothers and sisters,

Yu-Gi-Oh and the spirits of HALLOWEEN

What are your thoughts on this article?

Your brother in Christ with much agape love,

George

:rofl::t2::rofl::rofl:

THis article is very clear and very true.

Dudes, I've seen Demonic obsession from Yu-gi-oh. There are Groups of Kids

That play it in circles for hours :rofl: When I show even some Christians That article they don't

Yield. There is evil Growing in the world.

Christians, be joyful That you are; :rofl: ,

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  40
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Any suggestions on how to explain to my sons (6, 8, 10) why I can't allow Yu-Gi-Oh?

Guest Babyorca

Listen i think we have a right to watch yugioh I love the show i am 14 And We love to belive in it as a fantisty But Adluts Think it stupid I watch ever episode and i think it great for math I Love it and it proven to help Kids in math I watch it be cause of the Males (Wicth Sadly i know they arre fake :blink: But i can live with it) So I think it great for a Unreal Show