missmuffet

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

Why is auto insurance so high? It is wrong for a person to drive their car without insurance. They will be a big trouble if pulled over. But it would be very difficult for a person who is financially stuggling to afford the auto insurance prices today. Especially if a husband and wife each had their own car. Auto insurance on just one car is very, very expensive. I recently went to Farm's insurance and I am not impressed. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  438
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/20/1970

Well God must be looking out for me because last 3 times i've been pulled over for an expired tag i wasn't even asked for proof of insurance, so maybe i should be counting my blessings, and that i don't run out of them!!!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,159
  • Content Per Day:  2.05
  • Days Won:  8

8 hours ago, missmuffet said:

Why is auto insurance so high? It is wrong for a person to drive their car without insurance. They will be a big trouble if pulled over. But it would be very difficult for a person who is financially stuggling to afford the auto insurance prices today. Especially if a husband and wife each had their own car. Auto insurance on just one car is very, very expensive. I recently went to Farm's insurance and I am not impressed. 

You can adjust your insurance rates to pay for what you need.  Ask your agent to help you reduce your rates.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, CaptWalker said:

Well God must be looking out for me because last 3 times i've been pulled over for an expired tag i wasn't even asked for proof of insurance, so maybe i should be counting my blessings, and that i don't run out of them!!!

That is very, very rare.

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  278
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,055
  • Content Per Day:  9.81
  • Days Won:  148

Older model car usually equals lower insurance. Safe driving record should earn you a discount.  You can opt to drop some of the benefits of full coverage for a lower rate. Shopping around might help get a lower rate. If you own the car you have more flexibility to drop unnecessary coverage options.

Many insurance companies offer a small reduction of you agree to plug a dongle into your car that tracks your driving habits. I didn't do that.

I guess the area where you live might figure in? I wouldn't think Washington state would be high compared to some places like California.

If you also cover a younger driver maybe have them get their own policy. 

Or use Uber and forget owning a car?

4 hours ago, Starise said:

Older model car usually equals lower insurance. Safe driving record should earn you a discount.  You can opt to drop some of the benefits of full coverage for a lower rate. Shopping around might help get a lower rate. If you own the car you have more flexibility to drop unnecessary coverage options.

Many insurance companies offer a small reduction of you agree to plug a dongle into your car that tracks your driving habits. I didn't do that.

I guess the area where you live might figure in? I wouldn't think Washington state would be high compared to some places like California.

If you also cover a younger driver maybe have them get their own policy. 

Or use Uber and forget owning a car?

I have an older model car, 2011. I also have an excellent driving record. I have dropped some of the benefits and have only what I need. Where I live I can not imagine not owning a car and I thank God that I know how to drive.

I had a conversation with the insurance company today and they were able to bring it down considerably. This is Farmer's insurance. I used to have Geico but when a girl recently ran into me I found that it was a nightmare trying to process a claim on-line with Geico. That is why I switched to a company that actually has an office where I live. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.19

I switched from American Family to State Farm and my rates dropped dramatically.  Living in a suburb with a lower crime rate helps. I also think it's very unfair for some companies to charge people more that have bad credit,  even though they have good driving records. And no, I don't trust them to monitor driving habits through a device or app.

• 1 month later...

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  278
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,055
  • Content Per Day:  9.81
  • Days Won:  148

On 9/20/2021 at 6:24 PM, missmuffet said:

That is why I switched to a company that actually has an office where I live. 

This is probably my main reservation with the slightly less expensive online car insurers. Could be mainly a false perception thing I have, but I prefer a local agent. I use State Farm. The other day I needed an inspection and didn't have the card my state requires to have it done. The local office was closed. I was able to call their 24/7 line and they helped me to print a card sent to me through the web. In that case it didn't matter since it could be done either way. It was nice to have that option in addition to a local agent.

I had hoped rates would not go up as a result of all the claims placed for flooded and burned cars and homes. 

Edited by Starise

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,164
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

I had to replace my old car, and got a quote from Liberty Mutual for $1600 . . . for six months. That was nuts. Spent a fun filled evening on the web and the phone getting quotes from other companies. Progressive won . . . $500 and change for 6 months for full coverage. It pays to shop around, and be "old".

Now I'm still getting spammed by the other companies.  :laugh:

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Starise said:

This is probably my main reservation with the slightly less expensive online car insurers. Could be mainly a false perception thing I have, but I prefer a local agent. I use State Farm. The other day I needed an inspection and didn't have the card my state requires to have it done. The local office was closed. I was able to call their 24/7 line and they helped me to print a card sent to me through the web. In that case it didn't matter since it could be done either way. It was nice to have that option in addition to a local agent.

I had hoped rates would not go up as a result of all the claims placed for flooded and burned cars and homes. 

That is who I went with Star.

• Thumbs Up 1