• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  359
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

1 Corinthians 12:8-10 (NKJV) -

8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.

Now, some bible commentators say the word of wisdom is God revealing the future to a believer. I do not agree. I believe the revelation of the future is also word of knowledge. For God to reveal the future he has to KNOW the future. And indeed he does.

Wisdom - The quality of having good judgement; the quality of being wise.

An example of the word of wisdom in action can be found in Genesis 41:33-36.

Genesis 41:33-36 (NKJV) - 

33 “Now therefore, let Pharaoh select a discerning and wise man, and set him over the land of Egypt. 34 Let Pharaoh do this, and let him appoint officers over the land, to collect one-fifth of the produce of the land of Egypt in the seven plentiful years. 35 And let them gather all the food of those good years that are coming, and store up grain under the authority of Pharaoh, and let them keep food in the cities. 36 Then that food shall be as a reserve for the land for the seven years of famine which shall be in the land of Egypt, that the land may not perish during the famine.”

In this situation Joseph had just told Pharaoh (as you can infer from the passage above) that there would be seven years of plenty followed by seven years of famine in Egypt.

There are least five instances of good judgement in this passage -

1. Verse 33 - “Now therefore, let Pharaoh select a discerning and wise man...". 

2. Verse 33 - "and set him over the land of Egypt (as a governor)...".

3. Verse 34 - "Let Pharaoh do this, and let him (the governor) appoint officers over the land..."

4. Verse 34 - "to collect one-fifth of the produce of the land of Egypt in the seven plentiful years..."

5. Verse 35 - "and store up grain under the authority of Pharaoh, and let them keep food in the cities..."

Thanks for reading.

Any questions or comments?

Edited by kenny2212

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,960
  • Content Per Day:  3.36

On 6/2/2022 at 1:21 PM, kenny2212 said:

1 Corinthians 12:8-10 (NKJV) -

8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.

Now, some bible commentators say the word of wisdom is God revealing the future to a believer. I do not agree. I believe the revelation of the future is also word of knowledge. For God to reveal the future he has to KNOW the future. And indeed he does.

Wisdom - The quality of having good judgement; the quality of being wise.

An example of the word of wisdom in action can be found in Genesis 41:33-36.

Genesis 41:33-36 (NKJV) - 

33 “Now therefore, let Pharaoh select a discerning and wise man, and set him over the land of Egypt. 34 Let Pharaoh do this, and let him appoint officers over the land, to collect one-fifth of the produce of the land of Egypt in the seven plentiful years. 35 And let them gather all the food of those good years that are coming, and store up grain under the authority of Pharaoh, and let them keep food in the cities. 36 Then that food shall be as a reserve for the land for the seven years of famine which shall be in the land of Egypt, that the land may not perish during the famine.”

In this situation Joseph had just told Pharaoh (as you can infer from the passage above) that there would be seven years of plenty followed by seven years of famine in Egypt.

There are least five instances of good judgement in this passage -

1. Verse 33 - “Now therefore, let Pharaoh select a discerning and wise man...". 

2. Verse 33 - "and set him over the land of Egypt (as a governor)...".

3. Verse 34 - "Let Pharaoh do this, and let him (the governor) appoint officers over the land..."

4. Verse 35 - "to collect one-fifth of the produce of the land of Egypt in the seven plentiful years..."

5. Verse 35 - "and store up grain under the authority of Pharaoh, and let them keep food in the cities..."

Thanks for reading.

Any questions or comments?

I think you wrote well. I also know that in the early Church, future things were told - like Agabus did. But if the Church is to live by faith, what then is the reason for foretelling the future to the Church? Even the much mentioned "prophets" and "prophecy" must be defined by Chapter 14:3. The wording in this verse could include future events, but does not specifically mention it. Correct me if I have missed something, but foretelling the future is not addressed in 1st Corinthians 12 and 14.

10 hours ago, AdHoc said:

I think you wrote well. I also know that in the early Church, future things were told - like Agabus did. But if the Church is to live by faith, what then is the reason for foretelling the future to the Church? 

Foretelling could be used to prepare the hearers for what is to come (Acts 11:28). Most times the hearers must go through what was prophesied, so foretelling in these instances serve for preparation. 

Even the much mentioned "prophets" and "prophecy" must be defined by Chapter 14:3. The wording in this verse could include future events, but does not specifically mention it.

Yes, 1 Cor. 14:3 could refer to foretelling as well. As long as it helps, encourages and comforts as written in 1 Cor. 14:3, it's prophecy.

The mistake most people make is considering foretelling the only type of prophecy. But prophecy includes all of the "vocal" gifts - word of wisdom, word of knowledge, prophecy (forthtelling and foretelling), tongues and interpretation of tongues.

I know the word of wisdom and knowledge could come through the visual gate (sight rather than auditory). But I included them in the vocal gifts because they are called "WORD" of wisdom and knowledge.

Correct me if I have missed something, but foretelling the future is not addressed in 1st Corinthians 12 and 14.

I think it is addressed. But not expressly. Foretelling could be under word of knowledge (only future knowledge; not past and present). Also foretelling could be under tongues and interpretation of tongues.

Edited by kenny2212

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  63
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

1 hour ago, kenny2212 said:

Foretelling could be used to prepare the hearers for what is to come (Acts 11:28). Most times the hearers must go through what was prophesied, so foretelling in these instances serve for preparation. 

Yes, 1 Cor. 14:3 could refer to foretelling as well. As long as it helps, encourages and comforts as written in 1 Cor. 14:3, it's prophecy.

The mistake most people make is considering foretelling the only type of prophecy. But prophecy includes all of the "vocal" gifts - word of wisdom, word of knowledge, prophecy (forthtelling and foretelling), tongues and interpretation of tongues.

I know the word of wisdom and knowledge could come through the visual gate (sight rather than auditory). But I included them in the vocal gifts because they are called "WORD" of wisdom and knowledge.

I think it is addressed. But not expressly. Foretelling could be under word of knowledge (only future knowledge; not past and present). Also foretelling could be under tongues and interpretation of tongues.

this a good post Kenny, i agree and i think the foretelling might have a few purposes, to comfort and encourage as you said and possible also to provide confirmation on some things that may have been prayed for and could either be received or happen in either the near or distant future.  George Muller talked about some of this in his book on prayer, i really liked what he said about getting confirmation from the word on every example of foretelling and words of knowledge.  He said if we don't seek confirmation from the bible on words of knowledge we're making a big mistake

1 hour ago, Strict Machine said:

this a good post Kenny, i agree and i think the foretelling might have a few purposes, to comfort and encourage as you said and possible also to provide confirmation on some things that may have been prayed for and could either be received or happen in either the near or distant future.  George Muller talked about some of this in his book on prayer, i really liked what he said about getting confirmation from the word on every example of foretelling and words of knowledge.  He said if we don't seek confirmation from the bible on words of knowledge we're making a big mistake

Very well said, Strict Machine.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

I like this topic and the manner which it is being discussed in this thread.

I see the word of wisdom as being able to inform or instruct the best way to deal with a decision or situation.  This could be an individual seeking help or a group, like a church seeking direction.

I see the word of knowledge as being able to know things about a person, situation or group that had not been disclosed to you beforehand.

In the example from Genesis 41:33-36, the gift of knowledge was Joseph being able to understand the dream and inform Pharaoh about the 7 years of plenty followed by the 7 years of drought.  The gift of wisdom was being able to instruct Pharaoh what to do about it.

4 minutes ago, OneLight said:

I like this topic and the manner which it is being discussed in this thread.

I see the word of wisdom as being able to inform or instruct the best way to deal with a decision or situation.  This could be an individual seeking help or a group, like a church seeking direction.

I see the word of knowledge as being able to know things about a person, situation or group that had not been disclosed to you beforehand.

In the example from Genesis 41:33-36, the gift of knowledge was Joseph being able to understand the dream and inform Pharaoh about the 7 years of plenty followed by the 7 years of drought.  The gift of wisdom was being able to instruct Pharaoh what to do about it.

Yes, OneLight.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

1 hour ago, Strict Machine said:

First off, I've not read George Muller's work, so I can't discuss what he said or did not say.  While not knowing the context of his words when you mention him speaking about making a big mistake if we don't confirm our word of knowledge through scripture.  That is not always possible.  What if God gives you a word of knowledge pertaining to a situation?  Not all situations can be confirmed by scripture, nor can the resulting understanding of the situation be confirmed.  I'm confused as to why confirmation is needed when knowledge is given?  I am sure the Holy Spirit would not defy scripture.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,960
  • Content Per Day:  3.36

3 hours ago, kenny2212 said:

Thanks for the reply. I hear you.