• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/11/1967

Thank you, Amybeth...that really helps! I will go to the link you gave. I need that extra help. There are so many cultural contexts of the Jewish tradition that are foreign to me.

I've always accepted things at "face value" but desire a deeper understanding. I'm definitely not one who thinks they know all but actually realize, the longer I live and breathe, how very LITTLE I actually know.

I'm aware of my ignorance each day...so count me a "learner" with much more to learn.

Hey, count me in on that group as well. I don't think I will ever reach a time when I would have learned all there is to know. God's mysteries are so deep and so wide!! There are many more links that will take you there as well if you hit the Kingdom links button too! Have fun.

Guest kindlifestyle

Hi, I'm new here. So far, I'm really liking this site, and this question I thought was an interesting one. Hope you don't mind if I take a stab at it. :whistling:

Someone asked:

Yes, I understand that part. But why "Ten Virgins"? Couldn't these bridesmaids also be married ladies who knew the bride? Why didn't Jesus just say there were "Ten Women" waiting for their friend, the bride? Why did He specify "virgins"?

The first thing, and one most people don't realize, is that Christ taught and lived under the law:

Mat 10:5 Jesus sent these twelve out, charging them, saying: Do not go into the way of the nations, and do not go into a Samaritan city.

Mat 10:6 But rather go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Mat 15:22 And, behold, a woman of Canaan coming forth from those borders cried out to Him, saying, Have pity on me, Lord, Son of David! My daughter is badly demon-possessed. . . Mat 15:24 But answering, He said, I was not sent except to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

This parable is made clear when we consider Revelation:

Rev 14:4 These are the ones who were not defiled with women, for they are virgins.

This is speaking about the 144,000. We are told who these 144,000 are in an earlier chapter:

Rev 7:4 And I heard the number of those having been sealed: one hundred forty four thousands, having been sealed out of every tribe of the sons of Israel:

Rev 7:5 Out of the tribe of Judah, twelve thousand having been sealed. Out of the tribe of Reuben, twelve thousand having been sealed. Out of the tribe of Gad, twelve thousand having been sealed.

Rev 7:6 Out of the tribe of Asher, twelve thousand having been sealed. Out of the tribe of Naphtali, twelve thousand having been sealed. Out of the tribe of Manasseh, twelve thousand having been sealed.

Rev 7:7 Out of the tribe of Simeon, twelve thousand having been sealed. Out of the tribe of Levi, twelve thousand having been sealed. Out of the tribe of Issachar, twelve thousand having been sealed.

Rev 7:8 Out of the tribe of Zebulun, twelve thousand having been sealed. Out of the tribe of Joseph, twelve thousand having been sealed. Out of the tribe of Benjamin, twelve thousand having been sealed.

Now the tribes here, as with the people whom Christ told this parable to, are Jewish. In the Old Testament, the number ten has to do with testing and judgment. Abigail's husband Nabal, for instance, when he despised David and Abigail told him she'd disobeyed him and given David food anyway (thereby saving Nabal's neck, for which David blessed her).

David sent out ten young men to ask Nabal to give him food for risking his neck and the necks of his men to protect Nabal's flock. This was customary in those times, so it was not presumptuous or coercive on David's part. Nabal was completely evil in his rejection and false accusation of David.

And, so we read that when Abigail told Nabal what she'd done:

1Sa 25:37 And it happened in the morning, when the wine had gone out of Nabal, his wife told him these things. And his heart died within him, and he became like a stone.

1Sa 25:38 And it happened about ten days later, Jehovah struck Nabal and he died.

Now, immediately after the ten virgins parable, we read (same chapter):

Mat 25:14 For it is as if a man going abroad called his own slaves and delivered his goods to them.

And then follows the parable of the ten talents. But we don't generally understand this use of the word servants to be literal in the sense of what a servant was back then; it's figurative, comparing those who serve G-d with servants in some senses, just as in others they can be compared to virgins awaiting their bridegroom. The main point, I think, is that you'll either be ready for Him, or you won't.

I do believe this is speaking of Israel, though, not the church, for reasons I already mentioned above. I think sometimes we Christians tend to forget that we won't be the only ones sitting down at the wedding supper of the Lamb. The saints from the Old Testament will be there too, along with any Jewish saints ready for Him at His coming.

Admittedly, I haven't studied this in depth, but that is what strikes me first on reading this question. Part of good scriptural exegesis is not to literalize what's symbolic or symbolize what's literal.

Of course, there could be more to it; scripture is incredibly rich and yields the most amazing things sometimes in just one word. But until I study more or hear different this seems like a sensible take on things. You'll have to decide for yourself, though.

:24:

• 3 months later...
Guest sam4jesus
Does anyone know a good "Messianic" site that might have the answers? I think those with a Jewish background might understand this better than those of us who are gentile...

I admit, many things that are culturally Jewish confound me. I'm in a "learning mode" and longing to understand the things of our Savior but I don't really understand many things...

I usually just accepted them at face value without trying to truly understand the deeper meanings. Now, I'd really like to have a deeper understanding...

this is the first time i have replied, much less been on a forum so bear with me. i was watching perry stone- manna-fest on tbn a couple of weeks ago and he had as guests two men. one wrote a book "unlocking prophecy code" brian cutshaw was his name. he expounded on the parable of the ten virgins with an explanation i had never considered. coming from a western mindset we approach this from the aspect of all ten were christians. he introduced the understanding that five were believers in yeshua (what we would call christians) and five were jewish unbelievers. all were looking for the bridegroom- all had lamps- all had oil. the problem was the amount of oil the unbelievers had. maybe this book or the website will have some of the answers your looking for. i am currently reading a. hershals book - abraham, our father. this is a good starter into understanind the hebraic mindset. god bless you in your search.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  414
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

Hi Cats,

Jesus used many symbols in His parables. I don't know if we have to know Hebrew traditions to understand them or to hear what He is saying. I think He gave the Bible to all people; I think He wants everyone to understand it no matter what their background is.

The parable of the ten virgins is excellent. It has alot of truth for all people today, maybe even more so at this time in earth's closing history.

The story is talking about the church that shall live just before His second coming. The two classes of watchers represent the two classes who profess to be waiting for their Lord. The are called virgins because they profess a pure faith. The lamps represent the word of God.

All ten virgins went out to meet the bridegroom. All had lamps and vessels for oil. For a time there was no difference between them that could be seen. So will it be with the church that exists just before Christ's second coming. All (the church) have a knowledge of the Scriptures. All have heard the message of Christ's near approach, and await His appearing.

As in the parable and also now, a time of waiting occurs. Faith is tried. When the cry is heard, Behold the Bridegoom cometh, go ye out to meet Him, many are not ready. They have no oil in their vessels with their lamps. The are destitute of the Holy Spirit.

Without the Holy Spirit a knowledge of Scripture is useless. Without the light of the Holy Spirit, one cannot distinguish truth from error. The foolish virgins represent those with a superficial relationship with Christ. They do not have a true relationship with Chirst, they don't know Him.

The ten virgins are all watching for the Bridegroom. All claim to be Christians. All have a call, a name, a lamp, and all profess to be doing God's service. But five are unready. Five will be found outside the banquet hall.

The wise virgins had oil in their vessels with their lamps. They were able to shed light into the dark night.

We, as followers of Christ, are to shed light in the the darkness of the world. Through the Holy Spirit, God's word is a light as it becomes a transforming power in the life of the receiver. By implanting in their hearts the principles of His word, the Holy Spirit develops in men the attributes of God. The light of His glory is to shine forth in His followers.

The coming of the bridegoom was at midnight, the darkest hour. So the coming of Christ will take place in the darkest period of this earth's history. The days of Noah and Lot give us a picture of the condition of the world just before the coming of the Son of man. Apostasy will develop into darkness deep as midnight.

Now more than any other time we need to be in The Word. We need to be ready. God's glory is to shine forth through His church. So it is good, Cats, that you are studying and seeking deeper understanding. It is something we should all be doing.

In Christ,

CarolineS

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Caroline,

Good post. Christ is coming back for His church 'without spot or wrinkle', His bride which is to pe pure and holy. Many resist God's purifying grace and fail in the trying process of their faith. Without the Holy Spirit, a person can only be 'Lukewarm'. It takes the fire of the Holy Spirit to fill them with 'all the fulness of God.' Then 'out of their heart will flow rivers of living water' and 'their light will not be able to be hid', but will shine out to all they come in contact.

There are 10 virgins, signifying the Judgment of God. The number ten stands for judgment, thus the 'Ten Commandments which point out sin and are used in judgment.

God bless and keep,

Dennis

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  923
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  10/03/1974

By coincidence or accident, I came across a presentation/play on the parable of the ten virgins yesterday on www.levitt.com. Just click on internet tv, then scroll down to special editions/programmes, and if i remember correctly it is under the title of "Beloved Thief," whilst it is in play format, it certainly explains the parable of the ten virgins, plus there's some beautiful singing in it. Hope it helps.

God Bless

Anne

• 3 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  27
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  05/27/1971

What a wonderful thread! I'm excited to seeing so many devoted to understanding!

Concerning the Bride. Correct me if I'm wrong (simple that I am) doesn't Revelations state who the Bride, the wife of the Lamb is?

(Rev 19:6-9)

And I heard as a sound of a numerous crowd, and as a sound of many waters, and as a sound of strong thunders, saying, Hallelujah! Because the Lord God Almighty reigned. Let us rejoice and let us exult, and we will give glory to Him, because the marriage of the Lamb came, and His wife prepared herself. And it was given to her that she be clothed in fine linen, pure and bright; for the fine linen is the righteousness of the saints. And he says to me, Write: Blessed are the ones having been called to the supper of the marriage of the Lamb. And he says to me, These Words of God are true.

Notice the emphasisesses, If we, being the believers, are the bride, who then is invited to the supper? and if we are the Bride, then who are the rightous saints that are her fine linen?

(Rev 21:9-10)

And one of the seven angels came to me, he having the seven bowls being filled with the seven last plagues, and spoke with me, saying, Come, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb. And he carried me in spirit onto a great and high mountain, and showed me the great city, holy Jerusalem, coming down out of Heaven from God,

This is the Bride of the Lamb. New Jerusalem, for a woman is made new through marriage, she no longer belongs to anyone but her husband.

(Rev 22:17) And the Spirit and the bride say, Come! And the one hearing, let him say, Come! And the one thirsting, let him come; and the one desiring, let him take of the water of life freely.

Due to fact I'm still learning how to work these boards, I'd like to just make one more comment concerning a comment by Mark l in his statement about the Church. As tactless as he may have sounded, what he is saying does conform to scripture. "Church" defined in the new testment is a reference to the body or community of the messiah Jesus (rabbit trail:Yeshua is Hebrew, which in english is Joshua which mean "He (refering to God) saves"- Joshua's Hebrew name Yaheshua - which should look like "Jahoshua" in english - means "Yehovah Saves"- Joshua being a type of foreshadow of Jesus bringing God's people into the Promise) and is not nor ever referrence in scripture as anything seperate from God's people. The Church does not belong to the Gentile, but the Gentile is grafted into the body of Yeshua the Messiah.

It is prophesy that Israel (save a few) will reject it, but doesn't mean Gentiles is Israel's replacement.

Rom 11:1-24 I say then, Did not God thrust away His people? Let it not be! For I also am an Israelite, out of Abraham's seed, of the tribe of Benjamin. (2) "God did not thrust away His people" whom He foreknew.[ Psa. 94:14] Or do you not know what the Scripture said in Elijah, how he pleaded with God against Israel, saying, (3) Lord, "they killed Your prophets," "and they dug down Your altars," "and only I am left, and they seek my life." [1 Kg. 19:10] (4) But what does the Divine answer say to him, "I reserved to Myself seven thousand men who did not bow a knee to Baal." [1 Kg. 19:18] (5) So then, also in the present time a remnant according to election of grace has come into being. (6) But if by grace, no longer is it of works; else grace no longer becomes grace. But if of works, it is no longer grace; else work is no longer work. (7) What then? What Israel seeks, this it did not obtain, but the election obtained it, and the rest were hardened; (8) even as it has been written, "God gave to them a spirit of slumber, eyes not seeing and ears not hearing" until this day. [isa. 29:10; Deut. 29:4 ] (9) And David said, "Let their table become for a snare and a trap, and for a stumbling block," and a repayment to them; (10) "let their eyes be darkened, not to see, and their back always bowing." [Psa. 69:22, 23] (11) I say, then, Did not they stumble that they fall? Let it not be! But by their slipping away came salvation to the nations, to provoke them to jealousy. (12) But if their slipping away is the riches of the world, and their default the riches of the nations, how much more their fullness? (13) For I speak to you, the nations, since I am an apostle of the nations, (I glorify my ministry), (14) if somehow I may provoke to jealousy my flesh, and may save some of them. (15) For if their casting away is the reconciliation of the world, what is the reception, except life from the dead? (16) Now if the firstfruit is holy, so also the lump. And if the root is holy, so also the branches. (17) But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive tree were grafted in among them, and became a sharer of the root and the fatness of the olive tree, (18) do not boast against the branches. But if you do boast, it is not you that bears the root, but the root bears you. (19) You will say then, The branches were broken off that I might be grafted in. (20) Well! For unbelief they were broken off. And you stand by faith. Do not be highminded, but fear. (21) For if God did not spare the natural branches, fear that it may be He will not spare you either. (22) Behold, then, the kindness and severity of God: On those having fallen, severity. But on you, kindness, if you continue in the kindness. Otherwise, you will also be cut off. (23) And those also, if they do not continue in unbelief, will be grafted in. For God is able to graft them in again. (24) For if you were cut out of the natural wild olive tree, and against nature were grafted into a good olive tree, how much more these being according to nature will be grafted into their own olive tree?

Be humble gentile, and pray for shalom to Israel, the Shalom of Yeshua. As for the modern church, you don't look like anything I have read in scripture.

K.L.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  335
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  06/05/1967

THIS ALSO IS TO MARK ABOUT THE CHURCH FIRST MENTIONED IN MATT 16:18 CONCERNING PETERS STATEMENT OF FAITH THAT JESUS IS THE SON OF GOD HE WILL BUILD HIS CHURCH

WE BELIEVERS ARE THE CHURCH!! THE BODY OF CHRIST

IN ROMANS 16:5 LIKE WISE GREET THE CHURCH THAT IS IN THIER "HOUSE"

1 COR 16:9 THE CHURCHES OF ASIA SALUTE YOU,AQUILA AND PRISCILLA SALUTE YOU MUCH IN THE LORD, WITH THE CHURCH THAT IS IN THEIR HOUSE.

COLOSSIANS 4:15 AND THE CHURCH THAT IS IN HIS HOUSE

PHILEMON 2 AND TO THE CHURCH IN THY HOUSE

EPHESIANS 2:13-22 & 3:1-21............................

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  42
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  09/11/1964

Wonderful discussion. I especially liked AmyBeth's clarifications - toda raba!

All I know is that I'd be the one with the battery-operated lamp with extra batteries!

:th_praying:

~~Lisa