• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  62
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/08/1962

October 25, 2001

Today, before we left Whitehorse, Mike had the engine checked on his truck. The news is not good. The block is cracked.

Now, I know God is watching over us, has our good and a plan in mind, (Jeremiah 29:11-13) but somehow, He's going to have to finance this endeavor. We just spent half our housing allowance on getting the engine repaired with something called "JB Weld" and are hoping it will hold and get us to Fairbanks. The kids and I ate breakfast while Mike had this repair done. All this made for a very late start from Whitehorse.

While we were eating breakfast, just across the street from the Whitehorse airport, we found out something interesting from one of the old-timers who was having a cup of coffee. There is an old, twin-engine prop plane that is mounted at the entrance to the airport. It's very nicely restored and painted; in fact it looks like it could take off at any minute. Well, the winds really whip through the valley here and were vibrating this old plane literally to pieces. Last year, a group of aviators dismounted the plane, replaced it's stationary stand with a revolving unit, and now the plane is a giant wind indicator. Whichever way the wind last swooped through the valley is the way the plane is facing. I was hoping the plane would rotate while we were there, but it didn't. That would have been fun to see. It has to be one of the largest wind indicators anywhere!

The sun is shining today, and I just can't help feeling wonderful in spite of everything. The mountains are glorious and we are heading into the Kluane Wilderness reserve. With the late start we had, there's no way to make Alaska today. So we are staying at a wide spot in the road overlooking Kluane Lake, called Destruction Bay. It's frosty and cold. The coldest it's been on this entire trip. It

• Group:  Members

I had been dreading the border crossing into Alaska. After all, we have 4 animals, 9 firearms, a psychedelic bus, and a temperamental pickup. Never mind the 3 kids...who by this time are ready for the psycho-ward...or maybe I am ready for the loony-bin and they've won. I don't know what they've won, but they are ahead on points, I'm sure of that!

The border guards were actually quite nice. They came on board the bus, petted Sgan, counted noses, stepped on one of the cats, reviewed the firearms paperwork we filled out on entry into Canada, reviewed the paint job on the bus.... and then let us through!

After Mike came through, we stopped and he told me that the guards had said, "Anyone calling that much attention to themselves can't have much to hide!"

We

October 27, 2001 - Morning

Disaster! The JBweld didn't hold, we still have a crack in the block and there goes the last half of our housing allowance....

Well, the mechanic was truly sent by God. He fixed the truck enough that we can get to Fairbanks, and only charged us half. But the bus wouldn't start this morning when we wanted to leave Tok. Mike went next door to the hardware store and bought some starter-spray-aerosol stuff...and finally, it started. Whatever he used smelled terrible, and there are some fumes of it inside the bus, but with the window open I can drive. I

October 27, 2001

October 28, 2001

It's too soon to tell if today was a disaster or a special act of Providence. All I know is...it was stressful.

Last night, the pastor's wife extended the hospitality of the parsonage for a few days, and we made arrangements to look at a small home. What a disaster! The house should have been condemned years ago. One whole side was tarped, and it was awful. But I should begin at the beginning...

We got up this morning and the bus wouldn't start. We couldn't plug it in last night and this morning it wouldn't turn over. Mike went and bought an extra extension cord, begged power from the motel, and we plugged it in and went and had breakfast. We came back and tried to start it, still nothing. Mike crawled up under the bus to look it over, and there was no block heater. The plug-in and the tail were there, but the block heater had been removed. Mike sent me into the motel, and I called a mechanic. The first place I called told me he could help me, but he was going to refer me to Gabe's because Gabe's was really the one I needed to be talking to.

Huh????? Who or what was Gabe

WOW that was such a good read. i really enjoyed that story do ya have any pics of the bus?

Actually, I do! I hadn't thought about posting them! It's amazing. It really does look like a Partridge Family bus. The kids had a blast doing it.

We're talking about converting that thing into a motor home and using it off road in the bush.

I have had many occasions over the years to be glad I had the sense to keep a diary of the trip. Someday I'm sure my kids will want a copy. They still talk about our trip north.

Clio

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  377
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  01/31/1977

October 22, 2001

It

Hey Clio, You wrote a small novel. I enjoyed your testamony very much. It really sounds like God was with you on your journey. I hope that you keep growing in your knowledge of Him. May God bless you greatly!

:D Yeah... I did post a long story. But it's so much a part of who I am....

It's not a novel though. These are the diary pages I kept, along with my additional memories of our trip. It was one of the most awesome trips I've ever taken in my life. I think the only one that will surpass this one is our trip Home with Jesus.

I wrote it out some time ago, and have been working on a much larger manuscript covering 2000 - 2002 in my walk with Abba and His leading in our lives.

My first book was published this fall and I'd like to see if I can get my manuscript published sometime this year as well.

You can check out my first book, along with a sample of what's inside at:

www.lulu.com/prasinghm

Clio