IGNORED

lifting hands

Guest Beulahland

Guest Beulahland

Could someone please tell me what the purpose of lifting up your hands to God in prayer represents, or means.

here are a couple of scripture references:

Nehemiah 8:6  And Ezra blessed the Lord, the great God. And all the people answered, Amen,Amen, with lifting up their hands: and they bowed their heads and worshipped the Lord with their faces to the ground.

1 Timothy 2:8 I will therefore that men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  316
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

The Bible tells us in the Psalms to "lift our hands in the sanctuary and bless the Lord".  Yes for me it is an act of surrender and love.  You see, God inhabits the praises of His people.  That is so AWESOME-many times when I am praising Him I lift my hands in surrender and love and I can actually fee His presence, He does come and inhabit our praise.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  143
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I tell my 3 year old that everyone is tryig to touch Jesus :inlove:

Guest GloryaRose

I once read an article in a major encyclopedic work on

worship...which incorporated all historical and cultural

facets of worship from biblical times to present day times.

In this article it described how the act of raising the hands initiated in many ancient cultures as an act of greeting..and as an act of identifying oneself....let me explain further...

In ancient cultures there was a practice called cutting the covenant by some modern day scholars and anthropologists.

It involved a blood covenant between two parties. Usually making allegiences to eachother to defend eachother's clan.

...in times of war...

Each side had its duty to the covenant...a blood covenant was binding even to the cost of death if one failed to uphold it. A blood covenant often involved the sacrifice of an animal and the cutting of the flesh of the two parties of the covenant...usually on the forearm.

There have been other early examples of blood covenant in other cultures predating the hebrew culture.

In the story of Abraham, we see the Lord God...initiating covenant with Abraham in much a similar manner. A manner that perhaps...Abraham would have somewhat understood the cultural implications of....but which we...in our western culture have lost and forgotten.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  09/27/1968

Harvester,

Right there with ya- in the Southern Baptist church.  

Our church is pretty contemporary and some raise hands but since I joined the choir about 3 months ago, I really look out and see a dead crowd.  Bugs me a lot!

We're having a revival this coming Sun-Wed.  hoping for the Spirit to move in there.  If I were to move I probably wouldn't attend another Baptist church, though I love the people and they have a real zeal for souls, some of the more traditionals are too conservative for me.  I don't want to sound negative, I really love my church and all of the programs and lessons and outreach etc.  just wish there were more "worshippers" and less "playing church"

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  396
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  09/26/1961

Keep praying wordsower! I pray that your revival breathes the life of the Spirit into your dead (or sickly) church! Keep teaching by example, and your sparks will light a fire! :noidea: