• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,692
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/31/1952

Ray:

If you can, as crazy as this sounds, try looking at it from the perspective of YOU being a "Sheep" or a "Lamb". And think of the LORD JESUS CHRIST as YOUR GOOD SHEPHERD (John 10:1-18...27-29). The GOOD SHEPHERD takes tremendous care of HIS Sheep...HIS Flock. They never want, because the Good Shepherd takes care of all your needs. HE provides your food, water, covering (clothing/shelter), medical aid, protection against your enemies (including YOURSELF), along with the promise of Eternal Paradise (HEAVEN) at the end of life's "travels".

Years ago my very first pastor use to say to me concerning the beginning of the 6th verse, that these (Goodness & Mercy) were the two "watchdogs" assigned to follow me, side by side (one on my left and one on my right), as I traveled the paths of this life. He called them my "sheepdogs". :emot-questioned: Ray, though you and I, like sheep are weak, wayward, and often downright DIFFICULT to handle, to HIM WHO loves us, we are more precious than gold, silver or diamonds. HE will do anything in HIS Power to keep and preserve YOU and I in HIS Hands, like the GOOD SHEPHERD that HE is!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,038
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  5

When David was a young boy, he was the youngest and was therefore given the job of watching the sheep. Doubtless, the possessions of David at this time were minimal, however, his heart was satisfied before the Lord for it was because of His heart that the Lord chose him.

• 1Sa 13:13 And Samuel said to Saul, Thou hast done foolishly: thou hast not kept the commandment of the LORD thy God, which he commanded thee: for now would the LORD have established thy kingdom upon Israel for ever.
    14 But now thy kingdom shall not continue: the LORD hath sought him a man after his own heart, and the LORD hath commanded him to be captain over his people, because thou hast not kept that which the LORD commanded thee.

Ac 13:22 And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will.

• 2Sa 11:2 And it came to pass in an eveningtide, that David arose from off his bed, and walked upon the roof of the king's house: and from the roof he saw a woman washing herself; and the woman was very beautiful to look upon.
3 And David sent and enquired after the woman. And one said, Is not this Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam, the wife of Uriah the Hittite?
4 And David sent messengers, and took her; and she came in unto him, and he lay with her; for she was purified from her uncleanness: and she returned unto her house.

Now I know that many have laid the blame of this adulterous act upon Bathsheba, but I for one cannot. For I am inclined to think that a woman fortunate enough to have married such a man of integrity and valor as Uriah was, would (in those days) have been quite content with her obvious good fortune.

The following excerpt from Josephus I submit as a tribute to Uriah and to expose the grievous state of sin which had managed to creep into David

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  281
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  789
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

When David was a young boy, he was the youngest and was therefore given the job of watching the sheep. Doubtless, the possessions of David at this time were minimal, however, his heart was satisfied before the Lord for it was because of His heart that the Lord chose him.

• 1Sa 13:13 And Samuel said to Saul, Thou hast done foolishly: thou hast not kept the commandment of the LORD thy God, which he commanded thee: for now would the LORD have established thy kingdom upon Israel for ever.
    14 But now thy kingdom shall not continue: the LORD hath sought him a man after his own heart, and the LORD hath commanded him to be captain over his people, because thou hast not kept that which the LORD commanded thee.

Ac 13:22 And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will.

• 2Sa 11:2 And it came to pass in an eveningtide, that David arose from off his bed, and walked upon the roof of the king's house: and from the roof he saw a woman washing herself; and the woman was very beautiful to look upon.
3 And David sent and enquired after the woman. And one said, Is not this Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam, the wife of Uriah the Hittite?
4 And David sent messengers, and took her; and she came in unto him, and he lay with her; for she was purified from her uncleanness: and she returned unto her house.

Now I know that many have laid the blame of this adulterous act upon Bathsheba, but I for one cannot. For I am inclined to think that a woman fortunate enough to have married such a man of integrity and valor as Uriah was, would (in those days) have been quite content with her obvious good fortune.

The following excerpt from Josephus I submit as a tribute to Uriah and to expose the grievous state of sin which had managed to creep into David

• Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,038
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  5

What does this have anyhthing do with the psalm 23 He wrote?

Ray,

Did you read the conclusion of my post?

Do you understand what a conclusion is and why it is called a "conclusion?"

It is the summarization of a thought that follows the presentation of information.

I will simplify it by deleting the core of the post after the intro and jump straight to the conclusion. Perhaps that will make it easier for you to see the correlation to Psalm 23.

When David was a young boy, he was the youngest and was therefore given the job of watching the sheep. Doubtless, the possessions of David at this time were minimal, however, his heart was satisfied before the Lord for it was because of His heart that the Lord chose him . . .

[deleted core of post]

. . . The one thing that had complicated the life of the once little shepherd boy with the once pure heart was all of David

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  145
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  07/12/1957

hi

to me this means if the Lord God is our sheperd, there is no need to

want for anything. the sheperd takes care of his flock. he knows the

desires of our heart, all we are to do is serve him he will take care of

our every need. so we don't have to want for anything. he will always

be with us no matter where we are.

in Christ,

carolyn

• 6 months later...

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  162
  • Content Count:  7,822
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Birthday:  03/23/1964

The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not lack.

Jesus spoke these words to me out of the bible when I was 17 years old. I have trusted Him for this ever since.

He has never let me down.

I'll say it again: He has never let me down.

I've been in dire straits many times since that day.

He has provided.

Jehovah Jireh - The God who provides!

"I have been young, and now am old, yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, or his seed begging bread."

Thank You, Jesus.

:whistling::ph34r:;)

The tears are because I am not worthy

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  162
  • Content Count:  7,822
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Birthday:  03/23/1964

I tell you the truth, in all honesty.

If you don't believe anything else about me, or anything else I have ever said, or claimed,

Believe this one thing:

Jesus Himself has intervened personally, and provided for me, at the times when I MOST NEEDED IT

This fact can be attested to by my family and friends, who have witnessed the power of God to suppply all our needs.

"Therefore do not worry about your life; what you shall eat, or the body; what you shall wear; for your heavenly father knows that you have need of these things, even before you ask Him."

Thank You, Lord Jesus. Blessed be Your Name.

Amen.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  38
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Thanks for your answers on the I shall not want part of this passage. I realize now that it means He is my provider. I'm thankful for that understanding.

My next question about this passage

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies

Why does God set a table before me where I will sit with the presence of my enemies?

The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not Want

It is very easy to concentrate on the "I shall not want" part and relating it to material gains while ignoring its precursor "The Lord is my shepherd."

What shall the sheep not lack? Those things listed sequentially in the Psalms 23.

Those to whom the Lord IS a shepherd do not lack anything in the economy of His kingdom because they eat at the Lord's table. And the economy of God is different from that of the world; the latter shall pass away but the former is everlasting.

So, it is possible for one to have Him as a Shepherd and lack in this economy... for though such one is poor, yet very rich in Christ.

Setting a Table in the Presence of Enemies

In context, we can see what the good Shepherd does up to preparing a table:

1. He takes the sheep to lie down (to eat and flourish) in green pastures - salvation
  2. He leads besides the still waters - drink of the Spirit
  3. In salvation and the Spirit, He restores the soul of sheep
  4. He also leads the saved sheep to walk the path of righteousness, just like the Shepherd
  5. In walking the path of righteousness the sheep fears no evil. Even if the path goes through the depth covered with death, the sheep cannot fear because the Shepherd, who has overcome Death and all evil, is leading the way in the Spirit. The Shepherds rod (righteousness) and His staff (supplies) comforts the sheep.
  6. The path of righteousness traversing through plains and valleys lead to the Kingdom of God. In the King's presence, the Shepherd prepares (spreads out) a table so that the sheep can eat and feast with the King... in the presence of enemies for them to see that the sheep eats at the King's table. It is not a small thing to eat at the King's table.
  7. After eating, He anoints (empowers) the sheep with oil (six kinds listed in scriptures which are of gladness, for strength, to make the face shine - glory, of joy, for light, and for healing).
  8. After the sheep has received salvation, partake of the Spirit, is restored, walks the path of righteousness, obtained righteousness and comforting supplies, eat at the King's table, become anointed - the sheep lacks nothing good at all because all goodness and all mercy follow the sheep around all the days of his/her life.
All because of the GOOD SHEPHERD.

Grace and peace from our God and from the Shepherd unto all. Amen!

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  108
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Psalm 23 (Amplified Bible)

A Psalm of David.

1THE LORD is my Shepherd [to feed, guide, and shield me], I shall not lack. (He takes care of all our needs)

2He makes me lie down in [fresh, tender] green pastures; He leads me beside the still and restful waters.(A)

3He refreshes and restores my life (my self); He leads me in the paths of righteousness [uprightness and right standing with Him--not for my earning it, but] for His name's sake.

4Yes, though I walk through the [deep, sunless] valley of the shadow of death, I will fear or dread no evil, for You are with me; Your rod [to protect] and Your staff [to guide], they comfort me.

5You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with [a]oil; my [brimming] cup runs over.

6Surely or only goodness, mercy, and unfailing love shall follow me all the days of my life, and through the length of my days the house of the Lord [and His presence] shall be my dwelling place.

Hello! I'm confused about the beginning part of Psalms 23?

The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want...

Does this mean I don't want to my Lord to be my shepherd? it does not make sense.