MrLuke

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21
  • Days Won:  0

The point though is that this person differentiated between "prophet" and "seer."

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  12/16/1976

Okay, since God knows the furture and can percieve things that are happening right now that many people cannot it's not that much of a stretch to assume that a prophet or seer could have divine knowlegde of the now or the future and that this knowledge comes from God and not the seer who is merely a tool that God wields?

Okay this person has been told they've been created to be a tool for the Lord to use and that they are a specific tool with a specific purpose...How does this contradict the Bible?

God sent people to tell others future events in the Bible.

How is this different from now?

I know there are alot of people who do mix mysticism with Christianity but prophecies and prophets of the Lord have nothing to do with that.

I have had a bad prophecy delivered to me from my preacher.

He told me I was going to go through a very rough time where I felt like I was being knocked down every time I got up but that I should just hang on.

It was a true prophecy and I had a very difficult time but the Lord worked a beautiful miracle towards the end.

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

Okay, since God knows the furture and can percieve things that are happening right now that many people cannot it's not that much of a stretch to assume that a prophet or seer could have divine knowlegde of the now or the future and that this knowledge comes from God and not the seer who is merely a tool that God wields?

Okay this person has been told they've been created to be a tool for the Lord to use and that they are a specific tool with a specific purpose...How does this contradict the Bible?

God sent people to tell others future events in the Bible.

How is this different from now?

I know there are alot of people who do mix mysticism with Christianity but prophecies and prophets of the Lord have nothing to do with that.

I have had a bad prophecy delivered to me from my preacher.

He told me I was going to go through a very rough time where I felt like I was being knocked down every time I got up but that I should just hang on.

It was a true prophecy and I had a very difficult time but the Lord worked a beautiful miracle towards the end.

The problem is that a seer, under modern definition, is one who sees these visions on his own accord. "Seer" in the King James is a mistranslation. A seer, as being refered to as Samuel, is what they were percieved to be....however make no mistake, this is not how it should read. Note that the Hebrew word is also translted into prophets on some occasions.

The "revelation" that the OP recieved was that prophets is different from seers, and that he has the gift of seers. Problem is there is no such gift (biblically). Secondly, it's a mystic prophecy. Third, why would he need a prophecy for his vocational calling?

The list goes on. Trust me, I believe in prophecy, even in modern times...but this is just hogwash. it isn't the OP's fault, it is the fault of the people who have taught him.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  12/16/1976

Well a while back now I was prophecied over about God revealing the gift of a Seer in me. I've prayed muchly about this

The orginal poster seems to be seeking a spiritual gift or confirmation of a spiritual gift.

This in of itself is not bad.

(as certain elements of what was said in the prophecy freaked me a bit!) and all is well about it and God is definately revealing this gift to me bit by bit - but I'm just wondering if anyone else has got the gift or had experience with a Seer before, because I've been reading about Samuel to gain some understanding, but some personal testimony wouldn't go amiss about it all!

I'm not really sure what I'm asking here.. I guess something like 'is anyone else here a Seer? And is there anything you could say to prepare me for what to expect in this area of God?' I don't really fully understand it all

It seems to me this person is asking for help understanding the prophecy...Though I think we'd have to hear it word for word to be able to help on that.

(which is why I been reading about Samuel) because I know it's different to being just a Prophet as such, and well nothing is really taught on it in church!

I think this person is saying that they think that a prophet and a seer is not the same thing and that their church hasn't specifically told them this. It sounds like this is confusion on the OP's part and they are actually seeking more information. Perhaps this isn't a doctrinal issue but a misundertanding.

(I wish more churches made their services available online...if we had a recording of the service I'm sure we could accurately discern.)

Edited by DIGITAL DISCIPLE

• Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Re: Samuel

1 Sam. 1:9 says this, to explain their use of the word: "Formerly in Israel, if a man went to inquire of God, he would say,

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  01/09/1985

Well Digital Disciple seems to have got the jist of what I was saying in the OP. Basically, from what I read in Samuel, a Seer does appear to be different from a Prophet even if only slightly in their functions. I know the Bible says that what was once called a Seer is now called a Prophet, kinda all lumped together under one word - but because of what I was told I was thinking that there must be some reason for it being distinguished using a word that isn't common now. I dunno, I was just wondering if anyone else had had experience in this area of the Lord's work and calling.

Oh and apothanein kerdos, what do you mean when you say "Third, why would he need a prophecy for his vocational calling?" Why wouldn't I or indeed, anyone? It's not like you automatically just know what your life will amount to the moment you're born! And you say it's a mistranslation in the KJV.. well that's not the only translation in the world, and all the other ones I've read all say "Seer".. :thumbsup:

Anyway thanks for the responces. Oh and the thing about hearing it - what was said was recorded on a dictaphone thing, I'm just still waiting for it to be put on CD and given to me.

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

you may have had some one prophecie over you......

the Gifts of the Spirit are Gifts that come and go as the Spirit dictates, and as the need arises.....

first off, when ever i have some one do this for me, and it is something that is new, i usually discount it....

reason?

I seek the Lord for my guidance.

for my guidance i seek the Lord, and then and only then would i consider the words out of some one elses mouth to be confirmation.....

remember the prophet that was on a journey for God, he was to go there and do what he had to do and return not stopping along the way not delaying his trip, IAW the words God gave him...... when he was done, a false prophet told him that he was to stay there cause that is what God wanted him to do...... he stayed and then when he departed, he was killed.....

had he listened to God and followed Gods word, he would have lived, ignoring others that were in contradition to Gods word......

every time we hear a message in tongues and interpretation, or prophecy or knowledge, wisdom, discernment..... we must.... MUST..... see if it alignes with the Word of God.... the entire message..... if even a part of it does not aligne with the Word of God, it is to be thrown out......

seek God first..... allow God to use others to confirm what He has already told you..... do not seek confirmation from others. this is doing nothing more then asking for trouble and confussion.....

my wife and me had a lady "prophecie" over us, what she was telling us sounded good...... but...... yea, thats right, BUT...... what she was telling us did not align with what we had already been told by God....

her prophecy even made perfect sense... but it was not what we had already received....

so far, her prophecy has had nothing to do with the direction the Lord is taking us...

another person prophecied, and it confirmed what we were already doing...... falls in line with the direction God is taking us......

a seer, well, I dont agree with a seer..... i do not believe that would be a gift from God.... Paul and his young companion, had the girl following them, shouting out that they were from God that they were Christians...... and Paul rebuked the spirit from her..... she knew who they were..... and then her masters were upset cause they would no longer be able to use her to make money for they could no longer use her to foretell peoples future....

be careful about what is passed to you and what you take in as being gosple..... do not allow some one to twist it.... study....

mike

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

Hello Luke,

Why do people look for more then what is in the Bible, are Gods promises not enough? Do we need people to tell us what is going to happen to us?

Why not just go by the bible and don't add to it. Do you think God is pleased if we get more exited when we hear people prophecy over us instead of going by the word of God?

*sigh*

Prophecy being spoken over people, it seems, is nothing more than a Christian form of 1-800-PSYCHIC. For one, there is no gift of "seer." A seer is something ascribed to the occult, a person who has a natural ability to forsee the future or uses potions to aquire this ability. God never uses "seers." Prophets also do not gain forsight based upon their ability; the forsight is given to them by God and it is for His purpose...they are to tell people what they saw and give a warning of how to avoid it.

My advice is that this was a false prophecy meant to stir emotions and give you hope for a future that probably won't occur. These "prophecies" always leave the erson with this happy feeling of, "Wow, God is going to give me this!" Notice how there are never any negative prophecies....which is absurd when we realize that 90% of the prophecies of the Bible are all negative.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  01/09/1985

Hello Luke,

Why do people look for more then what is in the Bible, are Gods promises not enough? Do we need people to tell us what is going to happen to us?

Why not just go by the bible and don't add to it. Do you think God is pleased if we get more exited when we hear people prophecy over us instead of going by the word of God?

But that's just it, it is a promise of God in the Bible - the promise of spiritual gifts from the Holy Spirit. People have the gift of prophecy and they prophecie. People have the gift of healing and heal. People have the gift of discernment and discern etc.

And going back to what someone said earlier about testing these things and stuff, I made fully sure to do that as I'm well aware to check these kinda things out. Plus thinking back a while today about it all, this wouldn't be the first kind of Word from God like this - just this one was more specific.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

People have the gift of healing and heal. People have the gift of discernment and discern etc.

People do?

Where in the Bible did you read that?

Angels