• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/31/1949

The same thing happened to me. Some guy claiming to be from a refugee camp somewhere in Africa. The first few conversations were very pleasant, and then he started asking for money.

It's just another scam.

Folks in those places have missionaries that they can go to, they have the world relief fund; they have the Red Cross. If they're in that much need, then they'll find the help something in the immediate area. They don't need complete strangers from the internet sending them cash.

Thank you Ovedya and everyone! Your comments are helping to reassure me that my senses were right and that I should not feel bad about sending her away. I kept thinking about those verses in James that say if you see someone in need and say "I wish you well" but do nothing to help, then... Well, maybe the operative word is "see."

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

The same thing happened to me. Some guy claiming to be from a refugee camp somewhere in Africa. The first few conversations were very pleasant, and then he started asking for money.

It's just another scam.

Folks in those places have missionaries that they can go to, they have the world relief fund; they have the Red Cross. If they're in that much need, then they'll find the help something in the immediate area. They don't need complete strangers from the internet sending them cash.

Thank you Ovedya and everyone! Your comments are helping to reassure me that my senses were right and that I should not feel bad about sending her away. I kept thinking about those verses in James that say if you see someone in need and say "I wish you well" but do nothing to help, then... Well, maybe the operative word is "see."

Yeah. I think that it's good to give to charities and such, but it's always a lot more profitable for the gospel to give in person. What can be more heartwarming than to give a hungry person a meal or a shivering person a blanket?

It's just another scam.

I think I talked to the same guy.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  258
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

I don't know about the one you were corresponding with, but I have received a couple of PMs in the past from people that joined Worthy saying they were from another nation like Africa, and wanted to be my friend. I looked at their profile, which contained no information about them. I suggested they update their profile so I could get to know them better, and never heard from them again. There are a lot of people that will try to get personal info from you, so you have to be careful. Concerning sending money, I think it is better to give to a reputable charity these days.

How do they afford a computer?

Anyways, I think you should pray on it and give if you feel compeled to give, if its a scam God bless them that they may change their ways.

If doesnt hurt you finacially, then whats it hurt if its bothering you

If you dont feel compeled to give, pass

Sometimes God wants us to do something, sometimes its not for everyone.

Just do whatever you decide in good concience

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  224
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

I was getting those kinds of scams constantly at work. I finally complained about it to someone from the computer help desk and they helped me to put bigger filters on my e-mail. Now all that junk just goes directly into the spam garbage dump. Don't let anyone prey on your feelings of wanting to help someone. If you truly want to give, find a worthy and above board charity and give that way. Never give money to someone who contacted you over the internet!

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  56
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

You know what is cool about this? If she got your E-mail from here she is most likely reading everything you are posting.

Yes it is a scam. I have seen this a thousand times. This kinda forum is good for this. Never post any personal information here or on any other forum. It could be much worse, you could have a real nut e-mailing you. If you want to pass personal information find another way. I do not know if that is how she got it or not but that is what usually happens. Sometimes there is alot more then one person working this scam so do not be upset if you get others. Ask her for a phone #, or tell her you want to come see her. Ask for the name of her school. That will be the end of it.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Birthday:  12/31/1949

Again, thank you all for your very wise advice. We already give to many causes and are always willing to help anyone in need, but I do try to be sensitive to those opportunities and I don't want to become cynical. You helped me put things in perspective, so thanks!

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,961
  • Content Per Day:  0.76

Sue,

your so soft hearted....I like that. I had this problem too, I use a new rule now. I ask what is your immediate need...for example...I was approached once with the lamentation that these parents couldn't buy their kids winter coats....we really need the money to buy them some coats....4 kids....Instead of giving them money, I e-mailed them asking for the childrens size and whether boy or girl...I would buy them all coats and other winter gear and send them to their addy. They e-mailed me back once and said they preferred cash....I told them I preferred to send them coats...I never heard from them again.

You did the right thing :emot-highfive:

Love and Blessings,

Angel

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  01/09/1985

I read this thread the other week and thought nothing of it at the time, then a few days later I had some guy from pakistan contacting me on MSN saying they saw me on these forums. And just like others have said, after a few conversations in good nature, they started enquiring more about me and then asked for money so they could come to the Bible College I am currently at! I just used my wisdom and all to discern because I had exactly the same thoughts as other concerning giving to people in need etc. They stop talking to me now once I said I couldn't give anything.

Guest arkieangel

I would be careful about this. I would say what others have said, tell her you will pray for her.

There is a couple that live in a town not far from where I live, and a lady told them that she was a victim of hurricane Katrina and she was beaten and robbed. They felt sorry for her, took her to the hospital paid for it, and spent around $3000 on her. I guess she stayed with them for a while. Come to find out she doesn't live anywhere near where Katrina hit. She lied to them. They stopped helping her. She started telling the police a sob story and I don't think they bought her story either. You have to watch out and be very careful of people. Some do this for a living.