teenage son feels he can have girlfriend

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Oh yea Cindydiane welcome to Worthy Boards. Nice to meet you and hope to read more from you. :thumbsup:

K.L.

K.L. Thanks for your welcome!!

cindydiane

I hope I am not seen as trivialising an issue that obviously concerns you, too much.

When you say to your son "stay away from girls" (or words to that effect) he might take it to mean that either girls are bad and might corrupt him or he might see it that there is something mysterious about going out with girls that you are keeping from him and he might get all the more curious and perhaps resentful.

I don't really see what harm there is with a friendship with a 14 yr old boy and a 13 yr old girl. Providing it is no more than a friendship.

I look at my husband's grandparents. It seems they were "going with each other" since primary school and it turned into a happy and wonderful relationship for 70 odd years.

What is so magic about age anyway?

Dear buckthesystem, Actually what I said was he shouldn't spend his time with any girls right now. Not stay away from them entirely. I should have elaborated on that and said he shouldn't spend his time with any one girl and not be able to be friends with other girls his age as well. Sorry I didn't say that clearly.

He is not the type of boy that would assume that girls are bad and might corrupt him. Quite the opposite. I believe he really is quite mature for his age. When he talks to adults, he gives them the impression he is one of them. He does think things through very carefully. He is not the type to be resentful either. He does not hold grudges, at least not up to now he hasn't.

As far as age, you are right there! My mother was 16 when she married my father and they are still happily married. She is 70 and he is 77.

I told him today that if he has a girlfriend, then he might not spend the time making friends with other girls, because he has devoted his time to this one girl. He told me he is not especially interested in having a girlfriend at the moment, but just felt I wouldn't trust him to have one. He said he especially didn't want to date right now, either. hmmmm

cindydiane

hi cindydiane

first i like tess' list sounds right, but age 14, i think

is way to young for dating. tell him to give it time

the Lord will bring that special person into to his life

when the time is right. i have a 15 year old will

pray for you both. God bless

in Christ,

carolyn

Hi Carolyn, thank you so much for your prayers. I could really use them. It is difficult to see my 14 year old growing up!!! I told my son I trusted him but I just think he's too young for a girlfriend. That's when he told me I was being contradictory. I really think there are other things he should be using his time for. What do you think?? He still has a lot of years to be a kid before he grows up, right??

cindydiane

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  363
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

Hello. I am cindydiane. I have a 14 year old son. There is a 13 year old girl that really likes him and last night asked him if he is allowed to have girlfriends. He told me about this. I told him he is too young to have girlfriends. He then approached me with You don't trust me. Maybe I don't. He is a very trustworthy young man, but I still feel he is too young and he shouldn't spend his time with any girls right now. Any advice? Do I sound like I'm being contradictory?

While it is true, I don't have children. It is also true that I used to be one. I remember a lot of being a teenager. And personally, I think some 14 year olds are old enough to date. It all depends on how much the parents trust their kids. I would not let them in the bedroom alone with the door shut. But I would let them go out on dates, such as the high school dances, football games, theme parks, etc. Being a teenager is and should be a lot of fun, for a lot of memories. I think if the kids are serious about dating, they're just going to do it behind your back. And I just as soon know what my kid is up to, rather than stifeling his interest in a girl. At 14 you can't expect the relationship to mean much more than trying to get to know the opposite gender. And I think there is a lot of fun times to be had with a girlfriend/boyfriend. It's not about sex, it's about having fun and making memories. Just my 2 cents.

in Him;

corey

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  156
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I recommend this book.

It's by a Christian Youth Councilor. Don't be scared away by the title. You could read it yourself and pass along the important bits until you feel he is old enough. I feel sure that 13 is a great age to read this though. It talks about waiting to date until you are older and compares and contrasts the worldly view of dating to the godly view. :emot-questioned:

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  116
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  06/17/1968

hi cindydiane

first i like tess' list sounds right, but age 14, i think

is way to young for dating. tell him to give it time

the Lord will bring that special person into to his life

when the time is right. i have a 15 year old will

pray for you both. God bless

in Christ,

carolyn

Hi Carolyn, thank you so much for your prayers. I could really use them. It is difficult to see my 14 year old growing up!!! I told my son I trusted him but I just think he's too young for a girlfriend. That's when he told me I was being contradictory. I really think there are other things he should be using his time for. What do you think?? He still has a lot of years to be a kid before he grows up, right??

cindydiane

I just read your thread and the first concern I had was the fact that this girl "asked him". I would really be concerned about whether or not this girl is a little pushy and too forward. :o Is she a christian?

I'm already preparing my daughter (will be 10 in June) to not even consider dating someone who is not a christian and she totally agrees. She is also not allowed to call boys, even to ask a question about homework.

It's inevitable that the genders start seeing eachother as attractive. My daughter cannot have a boyfriend now, but I do not prohibit "crushes"

I don't think that 14 is too young. Pre-marriage dating will give them a good picture in what they really want in a mate. But I do not think he would be old enough to have unsupervised dates. In a couple years he could move on to group dating. That's when they can go on a date with other couples or a group of friends.

Hope this helps

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  372
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  12/20/1990

The view of a 15 year old woot. Ok dating now a days starts young and that is why most girls are pregnant in middle or high school. Um I can say have the girl over stay involved with them and watch them.He and she may think your over protected but they will later in life thank you for it. Tell him he needs to be her friend for now and she can come over and hang out as long as your around. Um just my thought