• Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,465
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,767
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  129
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

Christopher,

Does Harry Potter help a parent train a child to grow in the admonition and nurture of the Lord? (Ephesians 6:4)

Does Harry Potter teach the fear (reverence) for God?

Does Harry Potter begin to subtly introduce kids into occultism and witchcraft?

After you ask these questions, understand that the Bible says in Romans 12:2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  572
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

Excellent biblical points George. And that's the bottom line, isn't it? Testing all things by the Word of GOD?

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  52
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

THATS excactly what I've been trying to say!!!

Thanks, George.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  52
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Meg, we feel that way about post 80's Disney also.  

Remember 'Steamboat Willie' from the 1930's?  I grin thinking about it!

I let my daughter watch some Disney, but things like Disney's version of "Beauty and The Beast" really ticks me off.  In the original story, the Beast was ugly but kind.  In Disney's version, he is also cruel.  But Beauty's love made him all better.  Blah!  What kind of message does this teach young girls when faced with an abusive boyfriend?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Quote: from Christopher on 9:21 am on April 10, 2002

I believe you do more to draw attention to such relatively harmless things like Harry Potter by banning them from your kids.

Guest Christopher

Come on now, just because something (book, video, TV show, whatever) doesn't help a parent train a child to grow in the admonition and nurture of the Lord (Ephesians 6:4) or teach the fear (reverence) for God, that DOES NOT mean that we ought to start up the bonfire.  

Just listen to yourselves, talking about the evils of Pinnocchio.  What!?!?!   :!:

I still am wondering how many of you have commented without reading the books.  There is "magic" throughout them, but also some great lessons on tolerance, understanding, and growing up.  And guess what:  the kids in the book celebrate Christmas and Easter.

While we are at it, let's throw Star Wars and the Lord of Rings onto the fire.  How about Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty?  A puritanical approach to religion and entertainment in the 21st century does more to hurt religion and promote the entertainment than anything else.

These stories promote creativity, imagination and inquisitiveness.  I absolutely loved stories about Merlin the magician and King Arthur's Court, tales of dwarves and elves, dragons and trolls.  You are not doing your kids a favor by hiding these innocent stories from them.  

You would deny your kids video games, movies, and TV Shows and at the same time ban the majority of kids books from their eyes.  I'm sorry to say it, but a child who has only the Bible to read is going to have some serious problems. :angel:

I'm sorry to say it, but a child who has only the Bible to read is going to have some serious problems.

I wonder what God thinks about this statement?

With much agape love,

George

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  400
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

I am thinking that maybe Christopher misspoke George. I think I understand where he is coming from. Christopher this is another of those personal conviction things, in my family we don't read or watch Harry Potter, but I am sure my kids watch some things you probably don't let your kids watch. Don't get so frustrated. Its all right to let the Holy Spirit do the convicting of you, instead of other Christians. I haven't read Harry Potter, but my son is the one who told me its bad Mom. If he thinks its bad, then it is for him personally. Do you understand what I mean? We let our kids watch the  :angel: The Wizard of Oz and other programs of this nature too. Not when they were real young though, cause the witches scared them (scared me when I was little for that matter). We just explain to them there is no such thing as a good witch, that all witchcraft is evil. You do have to be descerning though, cause there is some terrible stuff out there, directed at children and teens. It is great that you have read the books with your children, though. Thats what we as parents are supposed to do.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  455
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Psalms 101:3..."I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes; I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me."

That's one of the things God has to say........could it also mean.....I will set my eyes before no wicked thing?

wicked is wicked...look up what God says is wicked...Deut 18:10-12

Y'all don't shoot the messenger! I just found this in His words!

Peace, Carl :angel: