TRUE TRUE TRUE!!!!!

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  108
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Allow me to expand please on my previous post....

I monitor EVERYTHING my children read, hear and participate in. We do not have cable in our house because my husband and I choose what our kids watch. Anything questionable (witchcraft, magic or anything not biblically sound is turned off). The discussion was on Harry Potter and that was  what my subject was regarding.

Children and adults are influenced by their surroundings. I am very particular too about what I fill my life with.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  154
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  04/12/1974

Sorry for the delayed response but here goes. I never said it's ok to get involved it the occult and I didn't say I disagree with everybody...just with everything wtahfarr4 said in this instance.

I do agree the we should monitor the outside influences on our children but we are taking this way too far. Harry Potter has as much to do with Satan as the Taliban do with human rights. It's a movie and some books people! Let's get back to the real issues in the world!

By the way, if I can bend a spoon with my mind you would say it's magic. Does that mean it's evil? No! Next thing you know we'll be burning people at the stake. Oh wait, we already did that didn't we.......let's move forward in our thinking not back.

Peace, Love, and the other....

Prime#

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  252
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,859
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Birthday:  03/16/1963

Prime,

I think this is most important. If people ignore a little sin here, and a little sin there, we slowly become numb to it. That leads to eventually leads to allowing all kinds of sins back into our lives. This leaves us lost in our wretched lives apart from God. I really don't think that using sin for entertainment amuses God in the least. I think it breaks His heart.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  154
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  04/12/1974

I think it's impossible to filter out all the sin in entertainment. Star Trek, Star Wars, Bugs Bunny, the Disney Channel all have instance where people sin without any acknowledging of the fact. But banning shows or books or labeling things evil or cultic is not the answer.

Here is the problem: If you or I were to go see Harry Potter, we could identify the occult in the movie and realize the ramifications of the occult in our lives. The debate is that this movie is directed towards impressionable children. I think, rather than saying Harry Potter is evil or cultic and cause a big controversy. Why don't those parents who have a problem with this movie, explain to their children about the dangers of the occult, and use this movie as an opportunity to bring people together rather than divide them.

Prime#

• 3 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  52
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

When kids get in to HP and then later something really heavy comes along, they will be "used to it" or "desensitized to it" and it will be easily if not eagerly accepted.

I saw a documentary on the movie.  Yes, from a Christian standpoint.  If I were 11 years old I would be simply fascinated with HP.  Gee, it looks like great fun to fly and cast spells on the bullies at school.  So, no, kids are not going to see what adults see but they become fascinated with it and want to know more and more until it gets them into the more serious nature of the business.

I don't usually like to get into the debates such as these because I've never seen anyone change their minds and I don't like the atmosphere when the kitchen gets hot.  I'm a very non confrontational person (smile).

The HP backers get called back slidden or weak Christians and the HP foes get called paranoid, fanatical or just taking things too seriously.  Every one gets defensive, hurt, mad...  Just pray about it.  After all it is Gods' thoughts on the subject that matter.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  455
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Just read Deut. 18:10-12. and obey or disobey.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  572
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

The same is taught in the New Testament;

Galatians 5:19-21 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  270
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

"that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God"

UNLESS they accept Jesus Christ!

• 1 month later...
Guest Christopher

I believe you do more to draw attention to such relatively harmless things like Harry Potter by banning them from your kids.  HP has kids reading instead of watching TV, which is a great thing.  My kids know you can't fly or cast spells, just like they figured out there is no Santa Claus.

It is called fun and imagination people!

If you start banning books or music, it just becaomes more attractive to inquisitive little minds, like cigarettes and alcohol.  I teach my children what they need to know in order to make the right decision about such things and I hope that they do honor me by doing the right thing when it comes to that critical point in their lives.

I have to agree with Prime #.  If HP is banned, where do you draw the line?  To me, magic is entertainment, of course it is not real -- and even my little kids know that.