Catsmeow

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Personally, I don't have a problem with HP.  I have to agree with Christopher on this one.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  572
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Christopher,

It's a matter of choice. You can choose to honor GOD's wishes, or not.

There is no "white magic" (giving the impression of good). Magic is of the devil, and offers young people an alternative source of "power", than that of their creator. That's idolatry.

As for your argument that Harry Potter keeps children from smoking and drinking, I'd say that is a bit far-fetched. However, if they are reading and being taught the Word of GOD, they are well-equipped to overcome those temptations.

Harry Potter, along with all the other trash wont be banned, because the one who inspires such rot is in control of this world right now.

Even so, come quickly LORD JESUS!

Guest Christopher

Timothy,

I didn't say that Harry Potter keeps kids from smoking and drinking.  A well informed, well equipped child is much better off than the child who has secret "bad things" kept from him - he is bound to be more curious about the banned items, especially something geared toward kids, and prevalent throughout their little kid world, like Harry Potter.

As a matter of choice, I do honor God's wishes, thank you very much.  And my children are very well equipped to be able to handle temptation in any form - I pray they use teh ammunition I have provided and do the right thing when faced with these choices.

I respectfully disagree that it is satan who keeps HP from being banned, it is the reasonable people who can see HP for what it is -- harmless entertainment.  Censorship of children's stories is not the answer.

There is much more sexual content and violence in the Bible than in Harry Potter, so where would you draw the line on banning books?

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  52
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I haven't read the book, but I was told by one that did read it that Harry was always doing what he was told NOT to do.  He had no respect for authority.  Is this true?

I told my child why I didn't want her reading Harry Potter.  Then I explained what God says about the subject matter in the books.  

I know there are anti christian things that smack us in the face every day before we know what hit us.  Some things are just "there" and we can turn from it and reject it when it hits us.  Others, like anti christian books, movies, etc... we have a choice to not pick it up and read it, turn the channel on to watch it, etc...

My job as a parent is to shelter my children and to teach them.  When they are grown I will pray that they have learned from me and will make the right choices.

No, I don't want HP banned because then the bible will eventually be banned too. However, I don't want HP to be mandatory reading in schools because it is filled with satanic religeous subject matter.  The bible isn't mandatory reading and HP shouldn't be either.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  400
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

The thing is that the excuse this is getting children to read doesn't float. My son's 3rd grade teacher last year was reading Harry Potter to the class and I objected. I personally don't think that kind of indoctrination should not be allowed in school, but can remember being taught visualization (satanic practice) in school myself. These things are just proof of who is the "god" of this present world. What I and 2 other parents did is complain to the teacher and ask that our children be excused from listening to this reading. She sent them outside the classroom and he told me he could still hear what was being read. He himself said: that this stuff is bad mom (he was 8) and that Harry is doing spells and other evil stuff. I don't know what the solution is, I am just giving my personal experience, but my kids have no desire to read books that promote witchcraft including Harry Potter or the Goosebumps books. But, the are older and have been taught the truth, my problem is with those not being taught the truth at home. They are being indoctrinated to accept witchcraft and satanism as something good and something that benefits the practicer thereof.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  189
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

There is the symbol of the occult on the front cover of the books. That should be enough to steer and christian away from it.

Love in Christ

Teri

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  52
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Yes, Teri Mc, it should be, but sadly, it isn't.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  572
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Apparently the occult is considered "harmless entertainment" by some. Not me.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  455
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

I had some fellow saints in a sunday school class once who said this to me...."we allowed our son to read the books after we decided it would make him a better witness, in that he could relate to his classmates by having read the same books"....????what?

I say...HOGWASH! Let your child read satanic indoctrination material so he can be a better christian witness???

O Lord God...where is our discernment?  Christians are guilty of studying too much secular entertainment instead of Biblical training by reading and study of the Word!

Guest Christopher

I had no idea I would disagree with so many people on this subject and it has taken me aback, so I am trying to be as diplomatic and rational as possible here.  Forgive me if I fail and please do not take it personally.

First of all, I wonder how many of you have read the books?  I have, and nothing irks me more than uninformed judgmental attitudes.  I saw a few posts that read: "I heard" or "my 8 y.o told me" or "the cover has the sign of the occult and that was enough to steer me away".  Obviously, you have not read the material you profess is corrupting young minds.

Along those same lines, keeping such relativley harmless material from your children is not doing them any favors.  They will resent you for it.  I am NOT saying you should buy your daughter beer when she wants it or get your son a subscription to Playboy if he asks for it.  I don't give my kids everything they want.  But Harry Potter is not in any way comparable to those things.  Reading HP won't turn your child into a demon.  With your guidance, your child can easily grasp the difference between fantasy and reality, and HP or innocent magic tricks or pretend "spells" are not satanism in disguise.

Do you all really think your kids will be well on their way to sacrificing animals in your back yard if they read these books?  I read and loved JRR Tolkien and CS Lewis as a child, but never made any connection to the occult, or witchcraft, or whatever.  It did not interfere with my Bible studies, either.  I never questioned or connected the two because no one else brought it up.

HP is a bad example because he doesn't listen to his elders?  I suppose Dennis the Menace was a threat to Chrisitanity as well?!?!

Kids are really excited about these books because they are fun and imaginative and very well-written.  The books allow young imaginations to soar, which is a great thing.

I understand the instinct to protect our children.  They are so easily indoctrinated at this age and you all want to be sure they are indoctrinated by the right sources, as do I.  But censorship is rarely the answer.  I agree that these books should not be mandatory reading, but banning and outrage serve only to bring more attention to them if your goal is not to promote these harmless (yes, I've used that word again) books.