• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  59
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/10/1984

I'm pretty new here so I have no idea whatsoever where to post this question. Maybe it's not even a good question for this site but I'm hoping somebody knows something about computers...I'm not a complete novice to pc's...I built the one I'm on right now. My problem is this..I have some sort of either virus or adware or malware or something on my pc. Everytime I load IE (yes I know...hah) I go to www.perfectedsecurity.com. I didn't set that as the homepage, nore do I want to go there. Here on worthy boards, I can't use "my assistant"...it pops up and than i get re-directed to another page saying that spyware or malware has restricted or blocked access...aka download "our" software to fight it etc...I have Ad-Aware SE...I've ran it twice back to back times...I've ran Spybot Search and Destroy...eliminated all threats...however this is still on my computer. Anyone have any ideas on what the heck it is and how to fix it?

Thanks

Andrew

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  233
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  05/06/1987

Hey hat town I don't know if I can help you much but anyway I to have Ad-Aware SE and search and destroy just like you, but there is still a few things that they don't catch that norton antivirus and sbc yahoo anti-spy catch, I'm not saying it will solve your problem but should be worth a try well talk to you later and hope you figure it out!

Guest Thomas I believe

I know its a sensitive area but i would check the registry for malicious programs. Also check your processes and see if you can see it running. Then you will know what to extract from the registry if you can confirm the program thats causing you the problems. If all else fails you can reformat and reload your system if you feel comfortable doing that.

It just hit me to try Firefox that I have on here. Everything is working fine. Could a virus or spyware/malware attach itself specifically to IE? Would uninstalling IE get rid of the problem?

Guest Thomas I believe
It just hit me to try Firefox that I have on here. Everything is working fine. Could a virus or spyware/malware attach itself specifically to IE? Would uninstalling IE get rid of the problem?

Yes and reinstall it. IE is not on the add/remove programs list. Its in the registry of course .. :noidea:

How do i get into the registry to delete it?

Bump

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Do you have TeaTimer working in your Spybot S&D? That always helps...also, when was the last time you updated AdAware and Spybot? Have you reset your homepage to something non-malicious? I can't remember how to get into the registry...um...yeah...I'll see if I can figure that out...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  265
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  12/30/1987

Reinstalling IE will help, probably. Yes,IE has multiple weaknesses and problems that are exploited. It is also less secure than most of the other browsers- firefox, and Netscape.... probably Safari, (mac) too...

Just don't forget to RE-install IE, because Windows tries to use it as a main component, and if you delete it, the computer will go nuts if you don't replace it.

Do you have a virus-protection program? AVG Antivirus is good- (www.grisoft.com) they even give it away free to home users... (somewhere on that site is a link to their 'AVG FREE EDITION" that includes all of the free updates...)

and... are you sure that IE isn't on the list? I remember uninstalling it once- which version of windows do you have?

In XP, I believe that under the uninstall box, it also has "remove windows components", which might contain IE.... not sure though- I have a Mac now... but every time I go home, I use my parents' computers....

I don't have anti-virus software on here...it expired and I usually only use this for gaming. I checked out that grisoft site and the only downloads I can find are either a trial version or payed versions. Anyone know of any free programs?