IGNORED

1 Corinthians 13:8, What do we do with this verse?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  331
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/02/1949

Thank you Robert H, that was my point exactly, when he returns to take us home....~!!!!!!!

:24:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  195
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Thank you Robert H, that was my point exactly, when he returns to take us home....~!!!!!!!

good luck with that.

good luck with that.

I am a Christian, luck is not something I factor in. I have God's word and I believe what it says.

Hebrews 9:28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

It isn't a question of luck. It is a matter of faith... :b:

"God said it, I believe it, that settles it."

Job 19:25 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:

That is why I take God's word over private revelation and private interpretation of scripture. :21:

Hello Butero,

I agree that the gift Holy Spirit is for those alive then, those alive now and those who follow behind us.

2 Corinthians 1:21-22 Now he which stablisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, is God; Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.

Ephesians 1:12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.

Ephesians 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Ephesians 1:14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

That does not mean that the sign gifts given as the word of God was being completed are still for today.

The sign gifts which have passed did not include the scrambled gibberish which is passed off as tongues=languages these days.

The supernatural gift of being able to speak in a language that you did not know for the purpose of witnessing to a non-believer has ceased. I don't know why missionaries to foreign countries learn the language of the people they are to evangelizes if the gift of speaking in an unkown tongue is still available today.

Butero writes:

I would also imagine you have a high degree of education, likely in a Baptist Bible College.

Robert responds,

I have never been to a Baptist college. Everything I have learned comes from my own bible studies.

I have a high school education and I barely graduated at that. :)

Thank you for the compliment though. :wub:

In His word,

Hello Rober H,

I guess we have something in common. My Bible knowledge comes through personal study as well. Let me ask you this. Did your knowledge come through simply studying scripture, or through studying of Baptist leaning commentaries?

Regardless of that, let me respond to what you said. Tongues were not given for the purpose of evangelism as is taught by many today. If they were, why did anyone speak in tongues in the upper room, practice? In addition, the disciples found believers that had not received the Holy Ghost but were only baptised by John's baptism. When they laid hands on them, they spoke in tongues. Why would they do that if it were for evangelizing those of another language. Tongues are a prayer language where the Spirit prays through us directly to God. The purpose is so we won't get in the way. In other words, the Spirit prays for what we really need, where our prayers are usually a give me list.

And yes, you do come across educated. Some people have a formal education and others spent a lot of personal time in the Bible and reading other Christian materials.

Could you share the scriptures to back up your contention?

Thanks,

Robert

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  195
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

everyone who calls themself a christian puts utmost weight on the great commision. oh, if they would only take jesus' other words with the same seriousness!

mark 16

15And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

16He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

17And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

18They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

"...Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature."

Have you ever preached the gospel to a dog? :)

everyone who calls themself a christian puts utmost weight on the great commision. oh, if they would only take jesus' other words with the same seriousness!

mark 16

15And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

16He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

17And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

18They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

You left out the fact that He was talking to the apostles and that the sign gifts were to confirm the word.

Mark 16:20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  75
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  11/15/1982

Butero,

While i do believe that 'that which is perfect,' is the 'cannon of the Bible,'

i have to point out that, 'that which is perfect' cannot be Jesus in this instance.

if 'that which is perfect' is Jesus in this case, 1Cor 13:13 would not tell us that we need faith hope and love, if it were Jesus, Paul would tell us that we would only need love, for the other two will not be needed upon Jesus return.

But since 'that which is perfect,' is not Jesus in this instance, we still need faith, and love. Hope we do not need anymore, because Jesus has come, saved us, and promised his return, should we follow him that is.

crabs><>

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  75
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  11/15/1982

for clarification, the word 'perfect,' is acually better translated 'complete,' or in context with the rest of 13:8-13, 'perfect' would better read 'mature,'

tongues and prophecy are the immature form of communication God used to get info to us basically, the Bible is the mature form, because it is all He wants us to know, His word is now whole.