• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

24 minutes ago, Leonardo Von said:

It's truth that Jesus transform water into wine. Also it is truth that many thought (and still think) that Jesus drank wine. However, it is false! Let's see what the Sacred Scriputure says:

•      “The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.” (Mat 11:19).

At first place, Jesus wasn’t gluttonous and winebibber. This was what the people said about Him. Certainly Jesus drank grape juice. However, to libel Him, they backbite Him saying that was wine.

Therefore, this isn't excuse to drink alcoholic beverage. Much less what Jesus did in Cana of Galilee...

Hiya Leonardo :)

First welcome to the Worthy forums! :thumbsup: What part of Brazil are you from? I sent you a private message I grew up there. 

Actually wine was a lot better to drink than water in those days due to fermentation. They really had poor methods of "cleaning" or purifying water. 

You are reading into the passages what is not there. The only reason people would call Jesus a winebibber (a drunkard) would be if He drank wine. There is no evidence that Jesus simply drank grape juice. That is a modern teaching and baseless on the Bible.

In fact, the Bible simply states not to get drunk. Nowhere is there a command to not drink alcohol.

Eph 5:8
And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit,

God bless,
GE

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 2:52 PM, Yowm said:

Freedom is a two way street. Just as some have the freedom to drink without condemnation, so some should also have the freedom not to drink without condemnation.

I agree. :):thumbsup: 

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.93
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

On 10/12/2016 at 4:52 PM, Yowm said:

Freedom is a two way street. Just as some have the freedom to drink without condemnation, so some should also have the freedom not to drink without condemnation.

• "But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak." (1Corinthians 8.9).

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

On 4/25/2006 at 2:53 PM, David from New Bern said:

How do we apply this to our setting in the modern church. And is this a permissive statement to those being led?

If you would do some research on wine in Bible times, as well as how the word "wine" is used in Scripture, there is a difference between "wine" (permissible to a degree) and "strong drink" (not permissible).  Sometimes "wine" simply means unfermented grape concentrate or grape juice.

Also the practice among the Hebrews was to add water to their wine.  So those wines were not necessarily the same as modern wines.

In the modern legal context, those with even 0.08% alcohol in the bloodstream are considered to be under the influence of alcohol.  So the question should really be whether those in spiritual leadership should be under the influence of alcohol or under the control of the Holy Spirit.  

The Scripture says "Be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess, but be filled with the Spirit" (Eph 5:18). "Wherein is excess" is the key to understanding why alcohol should be avoided -- it frequently leads to alcoholism and drunkenness. It also sets a bad example.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.93
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

JESUS IS 100% HOLY, PURE AND PERFECT

Many, to justify their yearning of drinking, excuse themselves, ensuring that Jesus drank wine. However, Jesus isn’t simply the best man, but the only true man that existed (and among those who still will exist).

• ·         “And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam [ was made ] a quickening spirit. The first man [ is ] of the earth, earthy: the second man [ is ] the Lord from heaven. As [ is ] the earthy, such [ are ] they also that are earthy: and as [ is ] the heavenly, such [ are ] they also that are heavenly. And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.” (1Corinthians 15.45,47-49).

This is why all of us have to die and born again (1Cor 15.36; John 3.3,5): for us to be implanted in Christ, the true man, the only that have access to the Father (John 1.18; 3.13; 14.6):

• ·         “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.” (Ephesian 2.10).

And to who insist on saying that Jesus drank, see what he said:

• ·         “Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.” (Matthew 5.17).

And what did the law say about the high-priest (after all, Jesus is our High-Priest – Hebrews 4.14; 5.5; 6.20)?

• ·         “Do not drink wine nor strong drink, thou, nor thy sons with thee, when ye go into the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die: [ it shall be ] a statute for ever throughout your generations:” (Leviticus 10.9).

Maybe you are saying: but the prohibition to drink wine was only when went into the tabernacle. Yet, see:

• ·         “And [ he that is ] the high priest among his brethren, upon whose head the anointing oil was poured, and that is consecrated to put on the garments, shall not uncover his head, nor rend his clothes; Neither shall he go out of the sanctuary, nor profane the sanctuary of his God; for the crown of the anointing oil of his God [ is ] upon him: I [ am ] the LORD.” (Leviticus 21.10,12).

And, how we know, Jesus never ever left the presence of the Father to care of His business (see Luke 1.49). Therefore, if Jesus had drunk wine (or other else alcoholic beverage) He would have stopped to care about the desires of His flesh (something that He didn’t make even not when tried by Ha-Satan in the wilderness - Matthew 4.1-11).

Unfortunately, it exists a “modern” gospel which, in truth, isn’t so new thus, but come being preached since the Middle Ages). Since that time, the clericals, because they enjoy wine, they accustom the people to think that the use of sacred wine wasn’t harmful. The people liked of the idea and, when the clericals was to translate the Sacred Scripture for each idiom, didn’t distinguish precisely between grape juice and wine.

Fortunately, it’s possible to surmount such deficiencies. It’s enough to take heed to the context, guided by Jesus’ voice.

Howsoever, this “modern” gospel comes rendering the grace of our Lord Jesus into riotousness:

• ·         “For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.” (Jude 4).

To you all that think a little bit of wine doesn’t hurt, I do remember to you some very interesting passages:

• ·         “And Samuel said to Saul, Thou hast done foolishly: thou hast not kept the commandment of the LORD thy God, which he commanded thee: for now would the LORD have established thy kingdom upon Israel for ever. But now thy kingdom shall not continue: the LORD hath sought him a man after his own heart, and the LORD hath commanded him [ to be ] captain over his people, because thou hast not kept [ that ] which the LORD commanded thee.” (2Samuel 13.13,14). – Saul tarried seven days, according to the set time that Samuel [ had appointed ]. Yet, the people were scattered from him (2Sam 13.8) and, on account of a few minutes, he lost the kingdom.
  • ·         “And when they came to Nachon's threshingfloor, Uzzah put forth [ his hand ] to the ark of God, and took hold of it; for the oxen shook [ it ]. And the anger of the LORD was kindled against Uzzah; and God smote him there for [ his ] error; and there he died by the ark of God.” (2Samuel 6.6,7). – Uzzah died because, in his “good intention”, he disobeyed the Eternal (and, how we know, rebellion [ is as ] the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness [ is as ] iniquity and idolatry – 1Sam 15.23).
  • ·         “And Moses and Aaron gathered the congregation together before the rock, and he said unto them, Hear now, ye rebels; must we fetch you water out of this rock? And Moses lifted up his hand, and with his rod he smote the rock twice: and the water came out abundantly, and the congregation drank, and their beasts [ also ].” (Numbers 20.10,11). – For the sake of a few seconds, Moses, that was faithful for forty years (Hebrews 3.5), didn’t enter in the promise land:

o   “They angered [ him ] also at the waters of strife, so that it went ill with Moses for their sakes: because they provoked his spirit, so that he spake unadvisedly with his lips.” (Psalms 106.33).

• ·         “And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head. And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.” (2Kings 2.23,24) – On account of a “simple” mockery, forty and two children died.
  • ·         “And a certain man of the sons of the prophets said unto his neighbour in the word of the LORD, Smite me, I pray thee. And the man refused to smite him. Then said he unto him, Because thou hast not obeyed the voice of the LORD, behold, as soon as thou art departed from me, a lion shall slay thee. And as soon as he was departed from him, a lion found him, and slew him.” (1Kings 20.35,36) – a man died because of a gesture of compassion at the wrong time.

And don’t think that was only in the Old Testament. The Eternal is the same, not change (Malachi 3.6; Hebrews 13.8). See examples of the New Covenant:

• ·         “But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession, and kept back [ part ] of the price, his wife also being privy [ to it ], and brought a certain part, and laid [ it ] at the apostles' feet. But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back [ part ] of the price of the land? Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God. And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things. And the young men arose, wound him up, and carried [ him ] out, and buried [ him ]. And it was about the space of three hours after, when his wife, not knowing what was done, came in. And Peter answered unto her, Tell me whether ye sold the land for so much? And she said, Yea, for so much. Then Peter said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? behold, the feet of them which have buried thy husband [ are ] at the door, and shall carry thee out. Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying [ her ] forth, buried [ her ] by her husband.” (Acts 5.1-10). – How many times we say a “little” lie and think that haven’t problem.
  • ·         “And upon a set day Herod, arrayed in royal apparel, sat upon his throne, and made an oration unto them. And the people gave a shout, [ saying, It is ] the voice of a god, and not of a man. And immediately the angel of the Lord smote him, because he gave not God the glory: and he was eaten of worms, and gave up the ghost.” (Acts 12.21-23) – How many times we forget to give glory to the Eternal for all that we have and are.
  • ·         “And there were seven sons of [ one ] Sceva, a Jew, [ and ] chief of the priests, which did so. And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye? And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, and overcame them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded.” (Acts 19.14-16). – How many believers accommodate themselves, thinking that isn’t important to know Jesus and His will deeply (SEE Matthew 7.21-27). These seven sons of Sceva died because they don’t know who they are to the eyes of the Eternal, even not was known in the heavenly regions (probably they don’t pray).

And the motive of all this severity is:

• ·         “Your glorying [ is ] not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump? Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us: Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened [ bread ] of sincerity and truth.” (Galatians 5.6-8).

To illustrate this, think in a race:

• ·         “Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they [ do it ] to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: But I keep under my body, and bring [ it ] into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.” (1Corinthians 9.24-27).

Do you already consider the difference between the first-placed and the second one? Perhaps hundredths of seconds. To discover the winner, is need to review the footage. Now think: imagine you training four years, for example, to be the first placed in the Olympiad and, for the sake of a paltry hundredths of seconds, you were the second placed. Remember that only the first placed is that get fame, wealth (with publicity, marketing, etc.), glory, etc.

Maybe you left of gaining why you decided to hang out with friends on a night out. Considering the period of four years, it seems little thing. Nevertheless, hundredths of seconds is too.

Do you already think that, on account of a simple bowl of wine you can be giving up all heavenly heritage? See the example of Esau:

• ·         “Lest there [ be ] any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright. For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.” (Hebrews 12.16,17).

After all, if you yearn to drink wine (or any other alcoholic beverage), the only thing that I can do for you it’s to regret deeply the way of death in which you are walking (see Deut 30.19) and to pray so that God, peradventure, give to you all repentance to the acknowledging of the truth and to that you may recover yourselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will (2Timothy 2.25,26).

I ONLY MAKE AN APPEAL: PLEASE, don’t pervert the character holy, pure, perfect of Jesus Christ. Much less misstate the Sacred Scripture to justify your craving to satisfy your flesh.

Please: don’t misunderstand me! I love you all in Christ and, if I am being a little harsh it is because I don’t wish a curse be upon you. After all, if some brother in Christ to shipwreck in faith for seeing you, that have knowledge (see 1Cor 8.10), drinking, the judgment on you will be severe (what is bad for us all):

• ·         “But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and [ that ] he were drowned in the depth of the sea. Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh! Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast [ them ] from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire. And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast [ it ] from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire. Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.” (Matthew 18.6-10).

Finally, if someone wants to call me a heretic, with a weak conscience (or something similar), I have no problem with that (I will continue to love them). Offend me is a lesser evil that to attack the purity and sanctity of Jesus and His Sacred Scripture, which I refuse me giving up. (Furthermore, I consider me blessed, conform said Jesus - Luke 6.22,23).

May Jesus have mercy of all of us: open our eyes and give us power to assimilate all His will and to live it.

Edited by Leonardo Von

25 minutes ago, Leonardo Von said:

JESUS IS 100% HOLY, PURE AND PERFECT

Many, to justify their yearning of drinking, excuse themselves, ensuring that Jesus drank wine. However, Jesus isn’t simply the best man, but the only true man that existed (and among those who still will exist).

After all, if you yearn to drink wine (or any other alcoholic beverage), the only thing that I can do for you it’s to regret deeply the way of death in which you are walking (see Deut 30.19) and to pray so that God, peradventure, give to you all repentance to the acknowledging of the truth and to that you may recover yourselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will (2Timothy 2.25,26).

I ONLY MAKE AN APPEAL: PLEASE, don’t pervert the character holy, pure, perfect of Jesus Christ. Much less misstate the Sacred Scripture to justify your craving to satisfy your flesh.

Please: don’t misunderstand me! I love you all in Christ and, if I am being a little harsh it is because I don’t wish a curse be upon you. After all, if some brother in Christ to shipwreck in faith for seeing you, that have knowledge (see 1Cor 8.10), drinking, the judgment on you will be severe (what is bad for us all):

Finally, if someone wants to call me a heretic, with a weak conscience (or something similar), I have no problem with that (I will continue to love them). Offend me is a lesser evil that to attack the purity and sanctity of Jesus and His Sacred Scripture, which I refuse me giving up. (Furthermore, I consider me blessed, conform said Jesus - Luke 6.22,23).

May Jesus have mercy of all of us: open our eyes and give us power to assimilate all His will and to live it.

We love you too brother. :) 

Jesus drank wine. It's really that simple. Nowhere did Jesus say not to drink wine. He simply said not to get drunk.

There is not death in drinking alcohol in moderation. Sorry alcohol only leads to death if it is done without any discipline. If I drink a beer and can't stop until I've passed out after my 15th beer that's a problem.

If I have a glass of wine in the privacy of my home with my wife there is no issue. Or even on the, rare as it may be, occasion we go out on a date and we order one glass of wine or a margarita. Discretion is key though if there is someone who I know will be upset over this we avoid doing so.

They key is not to be enslaved by alcohol. Alcohol is a grey area not a black & white area. I can be a Christian AND drink alcohol in moderation. Let me find a good article I read on the subject a while back.

1 Corinthians 6:12
“All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be enslaved by anything.

Galatians 5:13
For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.

Proverbs 20:1
Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise.

God bless,
GE

PS - As someone who struggles with writing very long posts, keep in mind most people won't read what you write if it is longer than 5-10 sentences. Might want to cut down or post as separate posts so people engage you more and/or actually read what you write.

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 0:43 PM, Ezra said:

If you would do some research on wine in Bible times, as well as how the word "wine" is used in Scripture, there is a difference between "wine" (permissible to a degree) and "strong drink" (not permissible).  Sometimes "wine" simply means unfermented grape concentrate or grape juice.

Also the practice among the Hebrews was to add water to their wine.  So those wines were not necessarily the same as modern wines.

In the modern legal context, those with even 0.08% alcohol in the bloodstream are considered to be under the influence of alcohol.  So the question should really be whether those in spiritual leadership should be under the influence of alcohol or under the control of the Holy Spirit.  

The Scripture says "Be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess, but be filled with the Spirit" (Eph 5:18). "Wherein is excess" is the key to understanding why alcohol should be avoided -- it frequently leads to alcoholism and drunkenness. It also sets a bad example.

Looks like the server is having issues. I typed out a response and it didn't post... Here's the short version.

I agree that wine back 2000 years ago likely didn't have the same alcoholic content as wines do today.

I also agree that as ministers it may be a good idea to avoid alcohol all together. My parents do and they have been missionaries for over 3 decades. My father has been a pastor for nearly 40 years.

It's also a requirement of the missionary sending organization they work for so there's that.

What do you mean though that drinking alcohol sets a bad example. Can you please clarify?

God bless,
GE

Should Christians Drink Alcohol?

“Here are your keys,” muttered the secretary when I arrived to pick up the keys to my office at Aberdeen University, where I would be studying for my doctorate in theology. “It looks like you’re in The Old Brewery.”

Intrigued by the name, I later found out that it reflected the building’s original function. Aberdeen was founded in the 15th century and used to train monks for ministry. In the brewery, monks brewed vast quantities of Scottish ale, which was served by the liter at mealtimes. And here I was, a post-fundamentalist Ph.D. student studying the Scriptures in a malted sanctuary where late medieval Bible college students once clapped mugs together in an act of worship.

Throughout Christian history, alcohol was rarely a taboo as it is in some circles today. John Calvin had a stipend of 250 gallons of wine per year written into his church contract. Martin Luther’s wife was a famed brewer of beer, which certainly won Martin’s heart. And the Guinness family created their renowned Irish Stout as an act of worship to Jesus. From Bordeaux to Berlin, wine and beer have always been part of church tradition. But what was once considered the nectar of heaven was later condemned as the devil’s libation.

Moderation not Abstinence

Even though some Christians advocate for the total abstinence of alcohol as a moral mandate for all believers, the Bible never requires all believers to abstain from alcohol. It condemns drunkenness and being enslaved to wine (Ephesians 5:18; Titus 2:3), but it never says that tee-totaling is the better way to obey God. In fact, the Bible never says that abstaining from alcohol is the wisest way to avoid getting drunk. Think about it. Alcoholism has been rampant through every age, but the Bible never says that all believers should therefore refrain from drinking.

If Christians want to forbid all alcohol consumption to avoid drunkenness, then to be consistent, they should also avoid making a lot of money to guard against the crushing sin of materialism and the misuse of wealth.

What About our Testimony?

I sometimes hear that when Christians drink, it ruins their testimony. But quite honestly, I’ve never understood this line of thinking. It’s one thing if you’ve struggled with alcoholism or are ministering in a Muslim country, but for the most part, most non-Christians I know are turned off by the arbitrary dos and don’ts created by modern Christians. I’m not convinced that if my unbelieving neighbor sees me slipping into a pub, I will lose much traction to my Gospel witness. In many cases, the Gospel will shine brighter when you break down wrong assumptions about Christianity by having a beer with your neighbor.

When we strip away all the man-made clutter that dims the Gospel, the full glory of Jesus shines much brighter. A good chunk of the dying world that’s rejected Christianity hasn’t said no to Jesus, but no to a pharisaical version of Him. Some people have been turned off by the Gospel because they’ve thought that becoming a Christ-follower meant giving up having a beer with your friends after work. If this is the “good news” we preach, then the true beauty of a crucified and risen King will become covered in the fog of a man-made, pharisaical “don’t drink” gospel. AA didn’t hang on a cross for your sins and abstaining from alcohol won’t give you resurrection life. Any Christianese, man-made, unbiblical footnotes to the gospel are actually a distraction and offense to the Gospel.

Lower Alcohol Content?

Now, some say that wine in the Bible was nothing more than grape juice and therefore neither Jesus nor the Biblical writers advocated drinking alcohol. Others say that wine was so diluted that it hardly contained any alcohol. But neither of these views can be substantiated by what the Scriptures actually say. If wine was really unfermented grape juice, then why did Paul warn the Ephesians: “Do not get drunk with grape juice, which is debauchery, but be filled by the Spirit?” This doesn’t make sense. It is true that wine back then probably had a lower ABV than today’s stuff. But whatever the alcohol content, people were quite able to get smashed by drinking too much of it (Proverbs 20:1; Isaiah 5:11). Still, the Bible never says not to drink it.

There’s another alcoholic beverage mentioned in the Bible called “strong drink. The Hebrew word for “strong drink,” shakar, refers to fermented barley, which is why some translations call it “beer.” Shakar had an ABV of around 6-12 percent, similar to a Belgium Tripel Ale or a Double IPA. Like all alcoholic beverages, the Bible prohibits abusing beer (Isaiah 5:11; 28:7; Proverbs 20:1; 31:4). But in moderation, drinking beer was encouraged (Proverbs 31:6). In fact, Deuteronomy 14:26 actually commands Israelites to use some of their tithe money to buy some beers and celebrate before the Lord. (Ever hear that verse being read as the ushers are passing the plates?) They were also commanded to offer up two liters of beer to God six days a week and even more on the Sabbath (see Numbers 28:7-10). This is why the absence of beer (and wine) was an outcome of God’s judgment on the nation.

Wine as a Blessing

But the Bible goes further than admitting that drinking is simply allowed. Throughout Scripture, the production and consumption of beer and wine are often connected to the covenant promises of God.

Under the old covenant, wine is a blessing (Deut 7:13; 11:14) and the absence of wine a curse (28:39, 51). When Israel looked to the future, God promises to flood them wine flowing from the mountaintops (Amos 9:14; Joel 3:18) and vats brimming with fresh wine (Joel 2:19, 24).

Jesus signals the beginning of such blessings by creating an over-abundance (150 gallons) of wine at Cana (John 2:1-10). And on the eve of his death, He sanctified a cup of wine as “the new covenant in my blood” (Luke 22:14-23). When Christ comes back, He’ll prepare “well-aged wine” (Isaiah 25:6)—the stuff I only notice on the top shelf but can never afford—and for theological reasons it will be served, as at Cana, in abundance.

Although a good beer and rich wine are blessings from God, they should be consumed with caution. There’s a growing tendency, however, among some younger evangelicals to celebrate their freedom without discipline. These young, restless, and slightly inebriated libertines are doing some great things for the Kingdom. They’re feeding the poor, living in community and planting authentic churches—or missional communities—all to the glory of God.

Yes, God cares about the poor; He also cares about your sobriety. Enjoying alcohol in moderation takes discipline, and many beer drinkers, I hate to say it, aren’t known for their discipline. A good glass of beer can be celebratory; it doesn’t belong in the hands of an undisciplined 16-year-old playing video games in his mom’s basement. Belgium ale is strong and complex. Savor it, sanctify it, and let it meditate on your palate. Give glory to God, not just to your thirst, when enjoying the blessings that flow from Eden. Drunkenness may not be at the top of God’s list of most heinous sins; neither should it be tossed aside as a relic of American fundamentalism.

Drinking alcohol without celebrating the Cross and Kingdom is theologically anemic. Abusing alcohol mocks the blood of Christ and scoffs at God’s holiness. But moderate, intentional, celebratory and reflective drinking of wine and beer, which contemplates the crucified and risen King and anticipates our future glory, is rooted in the grace that poured from Christ’s veins on Calvary.

source: http://www.prestonsprinkle.com/blogs/theologyintheraw/2016/9/30/should-christians-drink-alcohol

Found it... See above. Anyone have any thoughts?

God bless,
GE

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

24 minutes ago, GoldenEagle said:

What do you mean though that drinking alcohol sets a bad example. Can you please clarify?

It is really quite simple.  The principle of leading by example is well-established.  Actions speak louder than words.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

I do not have a problem with a Christian drinking alcohol on an occasional basis. Yes, Jesus drank wine. The Bible tells us not to get "drunk". Jesus said He would drink wine with us again. Although the alcoholic needs to stay away from alcohol.