• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

48 minutes ago, Ezra said:

It is really quite simple.  The principle of leading by example is well-established.  Actions speak louder than words.

Okay so you believe drinking alcohol in moderation is a bad example? Why?

God bless,
GE

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

1 hour ago, GoldenEagle said:

Okay so you believe drinking alcohol in moderation is a bad example? Why?

Because when a person drinks in moderation (0.08% alcohol in the bloodstream = 2 drinks) and gets pulled over while driving, he is charged with DUI.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.82
  • Days Won:  226

6 minutes ago, Ezra said:

Because when a person drinks in moderation (0.08% alcohol in the bloodstream = 2 drinks) and gets pulled over while driving, he is charged with DUI.

That is true.People need to play it safe for themselves and others. That is why when a person is going to have a drink they always need to have a designated driver. Someone who will not have a drink. Also having a drink at home where you will not be getting into your car. Otherwise don't drink.

1 hour ago, Ezra said:

Interesting so your objection is drinking and driving potentially resulting in a DUI.

So A) drinking 1 glass of wine (say 5-6 ounces) with a meal should not be an issue then? (particularly if you had a designated driver or took a taxi/uber home)

Or B) what if you are not driving home at all?

Also C) what about drinking alcohol in the privacy of your home?

God bless,

GE

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,029
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/23/1982

Question for those who advocate the use of alcohol in moderation.  In all of your years of exposure to social drinking have you ever heard or seen anything spiritual from someone at moment that they are imbibing?  Outside of Catholic mass(and I'm not even sure about that) Is there every a bible study or things of spiritual nature going on when drinking is happening?  I don't drink because I never have and my church has a principle on health and not using drugs.  But even in my inexperience with alcohol I can't think of it being a blessing though the bible does refer to "wine" as a blessing.  If it is why is the blessing only for the "mature" (21yrs and over) and limited to a certain amount?  This blessing is also represents the blood of Jesus.  I know the saying everything in moderation, but can you ever get too much of the blood of Jesus?  Just asking.

13 minutes ago, Remnantrob said:

Question for those who advocate the use of alcohol in moderation.  In all of your years of exposure to social drinking have you ever heard or seen anything spiritual from someone at moment that they are imbibing?  Outside of Catholic mass(and I'm not even sure about that) Is there every a bible study or things of spiritual nature going on when drinking is happening?  I don't drink because I never have and my church has a principle on health and not using drugs.  But even in my inexperience with alcohol I can't think of it being a blessing though the bible does refer to "wine" as a blessing.  If it is why is the blessing only for the "mature" (21yrs and over) and limited to a certain amount?  This blessing is also represents the blood of Jesus.  I know the saying everything in moderation, but can you ever get too much of the blood of Jesus?  Just asking.

Hiya Remnatrob :) 

I did mention alcohol in moderation. I have been able to have conversations with co-workers that I'd never had if I didn't drink alcohol in moderation. When I hang out with them conversations have arisen. Some have turned to personal and spiritual topics.

Notice nobody said "everything in moderation" did they? Nope.

100% sold out for Christ here. Did you read the article I linked? Particularly the part about our testimony?

God bless,
GE

What About our Testimony?

I sometimes hear that when Christians drink, it ruins their testimony. But quite honestly, I’ve never understood this line of thinking. It’s one thing if you’ve struggled with alcoholism or are ministering in a Muslim country, but for the most part, most non-Christians I know are turned off by the arbitrary dos and don’ts created by modern Christians. I’m not convinced that if my unbelieving neighbor sees me slipping into a pub, I will lose much traction to my Gospel witness. In many cases, the Gospel will shine brighter when you break down wrong assumptions about Christianity by having a beer with your neighbor.

When we strip away all the man-made clutter that dims the Gospel, the full glory of Jesus shines much brighter. A good chunk of the dying world that’s rejected Christianity hasn’t said no to Jesus, but no to a pharisaical version of Him. Some people have been turned off by the Gospel because they’ve thought that becoming a Christ-follower meant giving up having a beer with your friends after work. If this is the “good news” we preach, then the true beauty of a crucified and risen King will become covered in the fog of a man-made, pharisaical “don’t drink” gospel. AA didn’t hang on a cross for your sins and abstaining from alcohol won’t give you resurrection life. Any Christianese, man-made, unbiblical footnotes to the gospel are actually a distraction and offense to the Gospel.

22 hours ago, GoldenEagle said:

Interesting so your objection is drinking and driving potentially resulting in a DUI.

So A) drinking 1 glass of wine (say 5-6 ounces) with a meal should not be an issue then? (particularly if you had a designated driver or took a taxi/uber home)

Or B) what if you are not driving home at all?

Also C) what about drinking alcohol in the privacy of your home?

God bless,

GE

@Ezra not sure if you saw this? If drinking and driving is your objection what about the 3 scenarios above?

God bless,
GE

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,029
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/23/1982

4 minutes ago, GoldenEagle said:

Hiya Remnatrob :) 

I did mention alcohol in moderation. I have been able to have conversations with co-workers that I'd never had if I didn't drink alcohol in moderation. When I hang out with them conversations have arisen. Some have turned to personal and spiritual topics.

Notice nobody said "everything in moderation" did they? Nope.

100% sold out for Christ here. Did you read the article I linked? Particularly the part about our testimony?

God bless,
GE

What About our Testimony?

I sometimes hear that when Christians drink, it ruins their testimony. But quite honestly, I’ve never understood this line of thinking. It’s one thing if you’ve struggled with alcoholism or are ministering in a Muslim country, but for the most part, most non-Christians I know are turned off by the arbitrary dos and don’ts created by modern Christians. I’m not convinced that if my unbelieving neighbor sees me slipping into a pub, I will lose much traction to my Gospel witness. In many cases, the Gospel will shine brighter when you break down wrong assumptions about Christianity by having a beer with your neighbor.

When we strip away all the man-made clutter that dims the Gospel, the full glory of Jesus shines much brighter. A good chunk of the dying world that’s rejected Christianity hasn’t said no to Jesus, but no to a pharisaical version of Him. Some people have been turned off by the Gospel because they’ve thought that becoming a Christ-follower meant giving up having a beer with your friends after work. If this is the “good news” we preach, then the true beauty of a crucified and risen King will become covered in the fog of a man-made, pharisaical “don’t drink” gospel. AA didn’t hang on a cross for your sins and abstaining from alcohol won’t give you resurrection life. Any Christianese, man-made, unbiblical footnotes to the gospel are actually a distraction and offense to the Gospel.

Hey GE,

I skimmed it.  So I'll go back and read it now.  I've been at weddings where alcohol was served and of course people notice when you're not drinking like everyone else and that from my experience has created the opportunities for conversation on spiritual things.  I don't doubt your testimony at all but I would still advocate for abstinence rather than moderation with regard to alcohol.  Thanks for the positive feedback.

Rob 

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

6 minutes ago, GoldenEagle said:

@Ezra not sure if you saw this? If drinking and driving is your objection what about the 3 scenarios above?

God bless,
GE

Actually I saw this but there is no point pursuing this discussion any further. At least from my perspective.

4 minutes ago, Ezra said:

Actually I saw this but there is no point pursuing this discussion any further. At least from my perspective.

Why not? Okay suit yourself I guess. You proposed an objection in drinking and DUI. I showed how with several examples your objection may not be valid in all circumstances. I guess that's not something you'd like to discuss further. No problem.

Have a good day! :) 

God bless,
GE