IGNORED

Need some advice

Guest Welsh_J

Guest Welsh_J

First of all, I'd like to say hello to everyone :blink:

Second, I need some advice. I'd like to become a Christian but I don't know where to start or what to do. I'm 15, and my parents and pretty much my whole family are athiests (sp?). Because of this I'm not sure how they'd take this. Could I please have some advice on what to say to them?

Thank you.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/31/1949

First of all, what is your perception of "becoming a Christian"? Are you in a church? Do you have a Christian friend who is talking with you about the Lord? What do you know of what it means to become a Christian? Has anyone talked with you about this?

Secondly, once you become a Christian, God will give you the words to say. I know I am oversimplifying this, but only God has the right words for you to say to your family. I don't know that there is a way to easily tell them. Once God transforms your heart, you won't be able to hold it in. You will want to tell them, and you'll just tell them.

I'd certainly pick a time when things are calm and there are no other distractions, so that they can really listen to what you have to say. And, then just let God put his words in your mouth. And, be prepared for rejection. Know that this may mean you will have to stand alone in your family, but also know that God will use you to share the gospel with them, and then you have to leave the results in God's hands.

Feel free to talk with me about becoming a Christian and feel free to talk with me and others here as things progress and you talk with your family and we will lift you up in prayer. I can not predict how this will turn out. But, I'm here to help if you need my help. I understand rejection. I know what it is like to stand alone. Know that you are not alone out there.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,316
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  07/01/1970

Hi Welsh J,

To be a christian it means "To Follow Christ" "Belong to Christ" "Follower of Christ" "Christ's one" to name a few.

Gospel story

Father God created a perfect sinless world, creation and man. Adam and Ever were made (as we are) in the image of God. So man could commune with God, no other creatures could enjoy that. God made man to be able to make decisions and choices. He Loves mankind. Man was made to be dependent on God.

When Adam and Eve fell into sin-it wasn't just the fact that they ate the wrong fruit-but that they made a decision to live independent of God. Satan told Eve that she wouldn't die if she ate from the tree of the knowledge of Good and evil. That was a lie. They didn't instantly die-but as sin began-it did lead eventually to physical death. But at this point Adam and Eve experienced spiritual death. Separation from a loving Heavenly Father.

Adam and Eve after eating this fruit recognized that they were naked. So they attempted to fix it by sowing fig leaves together to cloth themselves. This was not good enough. Man can not do things apart from God-it proved that he needed a savior.

God showed up and pointed out the error of their ways. He had a temporary solution.

Up until this point there had been no deaths. Adam/Eve had never saw an animal, plant, tree or anything dead. The only way to atone or temporarily cover their sin was by the sheding of innocent blood. This was a temporary substitute. The death of this first innocent animal showed Adam the seriousness of his trasgression. Adams immortal life was changed to a mortals life. Sin leads to death. The punishment of sin is death. Unfortunately, the untimely deaths of these animals were not enough and the people of those times had to sacrifice animals yearly to cover sins of the past.

Because God wanted fellowship with man, He provided the most perfect, spotless lamb whose blood will wash away sins- completely out of the mind of the Most High God. It's hard to see why any good could come of a death: animal or person, but the penalty of sin is death- it took the death of Gods only begotten Son to reconcile mankind to the Father in Heaven.

Jesus is the only way to the Father. So Jesus came from heaven to earth, lead a sinless life (unlike adam), was obedient unto death-allowed himself to be sacrificed on the cross(he could have easily called legions of His Angels for help) but he gave his life up for you and me by dieing on the cross. He paid a debt that we couldn't pay-he took on the penalty we deserved. But he didn't stay down- 3 days later God raised him from the dead and sat Jesus by His own right hand. So this perfect blood was not like animal blood that just covered-it completely washed it away. So someone who is bloody in sin-is washed as white as snow. God literally doesn't remember when his Children repent of their sins. Then as those who Confess with their mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in their heart that God raised him from the dead, they will be saved. For it is by believeing in their heart that they are made right with God, and it is by confessing with their mouth that they are saved. Then

when Father God sees that person-he can see them through Jesus. So when we are walking this faith walk-we are IN CHRIST.

Instead of being like Adam- we seek to be dependent on our God and Savior.

So everyone is born into this sin nature. Sin leads to death. Death is the punishment for sin. So Jesus took all of our sins and took our punishment for it. He made it possible for us to be made righteous in the sight of God. Not for anything we can do-for apart from Him we can do nothing. But by the what Jesus accomplished on the cross we are made free from the law of sin and death.

So when someone is saved- he is a new creature-He may have been a sinner in the past-but that old man was buried with Christ and was raise from the dead-unto new Life. God can forgive all sins. If a christian sins-he has an advocate with the Father-this is Jesus-who is ever intercedeing for us before the Father. He is our Lawyer.

So if someone is considering being a Christian,

They must do as Jesus preached and (1) repent of their sins-ask God for forgiveness.

and (2) (romans 10:9-10) For if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved.

This is an act of faith.

Now we are saved from the penalty of sin. Our spirits have been regenerated or born-again. Our minds unfortunately are the same. Now we must become more like Christ. It is up to us to submit to the Spirit of God- the Holy Spirit and allow him to reveal the Father/Jesus to us in His precious word which is the bible. Jesus is considered to be the Word of God.

We must put on the mind of Christ.

Our spirits grow as we feed on the word of God. Just like our physical body needs food. We can be fed in Church or we can be fed by daily soaking in the word. We must meditate on it-we must ask the Holy Spirit to lead us and help us understand the word of God. This is how the Father will speak to us-through His word. We should expect to hear God. The bible says that out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks-if you are around the tv too much-that will spill out of your heart/spirit. The more we hide Gods Word in our hearts-the more as needed will that word come out of our spirit like a well of living waters. We should study to learn of the Father and His ways. The book of John is a good starting point-but be lead of the Holy Spirit in your readings. Even while we are feeding-it is God who gives the increase-so we shouldn't dispear if the growth is slow-that is the way he is. Enjoy the growth-it took time for your physical man to grow-so with the spirit man. But God can cause a person to grow in leaps and bound-during different seasons of their life. As long as you are in the center of His will what does it matter.

We must communicate-pray to the Father, in the name of Jesus. Speak to him and know that he hears you and wants the best for you. We must rid our selves of all preconceived ideas of God and truely learn of Him and his ways. He is real as real can be. I could speak of a lot of wonderful things he has done for me-and I am quick to remind Him of his Goodness. But when you experience Him for yourself-it is wonderful.

We must trust that after receiving salvation by faith that we are truely saved. No one can steal you out of His Hand. But like any relationship-you must stay connected to receive the benefit.

We must seek to grow. It is beneficial to be surounded by other christians-the Holy Spirit can lead you where he wants you to worship. Our goal is to ever have our eyes on Jesus-and not on man. Man is still full of flaws-even in the church pews-not everyone truely seeks. People could become a distraction if not careful. We eventually begin to see people through the eyes of Jesus and have compassion for others. We shouldn't strive to be like someone-because God created us all unique and we must allow Him to develop us.

Pray for your family-Trust God with them-don't give up no matter what.

It is very important to learn who you are in Christ.

Look on website www.ficm.org

click on "Who I Am in Christ"

you can click on text version.

Knowing who you are in Christ truely matters-it will help you be grounded in your identity.

It's not easy-this christian life, it can be downright impossible-it takes God-we must put our trust in Him to guide and Lead us. It is a glorious adventure-the more you grow and really get to know him-it gets more and more exciting. The hard times help us to produce fruit in our lives. This is how people know that we are of God-when they see this spiritual fruit. They say to themselves- I know who that person belongs too. Jesus was rejected by man and we can expect that some will reject us too-but we shouldn't be worried or take it personal. Ask the Holy Spirit to lead you through out your day. The more we listen and obey to his leadings the more he will lead us. We eventually become His witness and the Word that we are grounded in becomes like fire shut up in our bones and we want to spread the good news. But the Holy Spirit will lead, we don't have to worry about that now and when he leads it is an easy thing-its when we do things on our own when it is hard. By obeying and doing as he says, even when he corrects us and we walk out in the truth-we are exercising our muscles and we are strengthened in the Lord. Our strength is from Jesus.

I pray that you take this path that is less traveled.

Blessings

Candi

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  397
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Wow. I'm overwhelmed by the help I've recieved on the subject :)

Thanks everyone.

Just one thing I need to tell you before, assume it won't be easy living with people that are against your believings, but with God'shelp you will be able to stand your ground on the storm :P

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  145
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  07/12/1957

while this is true living a Christian life is not easy, as long as you follow

the Lord Jesus, you will never be alone. God is with you and will never

give you more than you can handle. faith is believing in something you

can't see, yet still in your heart you know hes' there. i pray that God will

soften your parrents' heart so that they also will follow, pray also for you

that you will be strong in the Lord. God bless you

in Christ,

carolyn

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  62
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

First of all, I'd like to say hello to everyone :emot-highfive:

Second, I need some advice. I'd like to become a Christian but I don't know where to start or what to do. I'm 15, and my parents and pretty much my whole family are athiests (sp?). Because of this I'm not sure how they'd take this. Could I please have some advice on what to say to them?

Thank you.

Hi Welsh J. I am so glad to hear that you want to become a Christian. That is wonderful. I will pray for you. Please get back to us soon and let us know what is going on. I am sure that all of us who have responded here would love to know. May God bless and keep you.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  41
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Sounds like you've gotten lots of great advice...just wanted to tell you that you are in my prayers as you figure this out and start your journey for the Lord!

:)

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  139
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

First of all, I'd like to say hello to everyone :24:

Thank you.

Hey, I'm also a new member to these boards, lurking for a little while and finally decided to reply :-).

Anyway, my family is also Atheists, I'm a bit older (24) but I've been through the same thing when I was younger. Just be sure you're able to answer their questions the first one will be of course, "What makes you believe in god?" It seems like an easy question to answer but they're going to have a response to everything you can think of. Also, an atheist can generally answer any question you can think of with a fairly rational answer, so it's a really tough debate, but in the end you know god and you should try and share that with your family.