• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

Many people when under conviction to read their Bible more frequently submit to a read the Bible in a year plan. How productive is this read through to their spiritual life? Would it be better to pick several books of the Bible for deep study over the year?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

I have done both and been blessed by both...no preference here...

God seems to meet me however I read it.. :emot-highfive:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  295
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  04/26/1932

Many people when under conviction to read their Bible more frequently submit to a read the Bible in a year plan. How productive is this read through to their spiritual life? Would it be better to pick several books of the Bible for deep study over the year?

I'm not convinced that reading the Bible through in a year accomplishes anything other than giving the reader certain "bragging rights" in order to sound more spiritual. In fact I'm convinced that a Believer today could survive and grow on the New Testament alone. But I do find the Old Testament valuable for historical purposes.

• Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

2Ti 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Bob,what Scripture was he talking about?

• Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  640
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

when i read the Bible, it take's as long as it takes. i like to read, 2 chapters in the old testament, 2 chapters in the new testament and at least 2 chapters in either psalms or proverbs. these readings are in a progressive order, from front to back of the Bible. i used to think the old testament was only good for historical reference, until i actually read it, it is full of Jesus Christ, and God the father and all of the miracles and workings in and of him. it is full of our beginnings, (all christians) and is a true joy to read and learn from. i recommend it to everyone. the Bible in it's entirity, is a marvel and a miracle. God wrote it and protects it. it is a love letter to us and a guide given in his love.

God bless and thank you for asking.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  233
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  05/06/1987

Wow what a great question I have wanted to ask that question here myself sometime, but I am glad you did. I don't think I have what it takes to read through the Bible in a year. I have tried many times and end up stopping to reread, memorize a few verses, or just to look up something on whatever I happen to be reading about. Lately I have been debating on whether or not to buy one of those chronological bibles because it sounds really neat and would help get an idea of the overall pictureand actual oreder of evernts. So as for what way to do it, it varies from person to person on what method they want to use!

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  07/11/1966

One year I thought I would attempt to read the Bible through in a year. I found out why I had never read it that way before. By the time I get to a verse and put it through all the questions in my mind and referencing, and cross referencing, what the traditions of the day were, how it applies to me...etc. etc. I have put a looooong time into a very small part of the Word. I have learned just as much in my life from the Old Testemant as I have the New. Even though I will never completely understand it all while on this earth I want to do my best for He gave me His best. I dont think I have responded to one of your Posts before David, but I have read them, and I have to say you have a wonderful way of providing food for thought. Thank you for another "feeding" post... :closedeyes:

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  52
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  12/24/1970

2Ti 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Bob,what Scripture was he talking about?

God put the whole universe together. Could the same powerfull God also not have preserved his word for us in a Book??! And keep a copy for himself?!! :closedeyes:

PS 119:89 For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.

• Topic Count:  490
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Birthday:  02/25/1990

Ok.. *attempts to be honest as possible*...

I struggled A LOT with reading the bible all the way through and I stopped many a times. I can't begin to tell you how many times I have read the first 30 chapters of Genesis or especially those first few verses in the first chapter... I also can't tell you how many times I have read the first few chapters of Matthew or many of the other New Testament book. Oh yes, how many times I have started Psalms and Proverbs. What is the point of me even saying this?

I am not trying to be discouraging, but what I am saying is, it takes a certain commitment to read the bible all the way through, and it takes a certain commitment to read one chapter a day, or just study through one book of the bible in general. I know there were times when I didn't even want to read Song of Solomon.. as short as it is... No matter what is begin read, it takes personal conviction from God, a desire to follow Him, and a strong commitment to do it.

Ok.. now past that...

What a wonderful idea! Read the bible all the way through! What a blessing! Bragging rights for a Christian? I truly shouldn't be... the bible talks about carnality in Corinthians for that form of bragging.. doesnt' it? But truly what a blessing it is to read the bible all the way through.. I did that last year.. actually it took me a year and half... but I can't tell you how great it was to have that privaledge... I am so much more confident in my Christian walk, although I still know very little... When the pastor mentions every so often about reading the bible through, it is nice to be able to say, "Hey, the Lord gave me the strength to do that. I couldnt' have done it on my own". When messages are preached, it isnt' a passage that I have never heard of. I used to have so many problems when Pastor got up to preach and I had no idea for the first few minutes(as he explained) what was going on or what had just happened... Sure, there are parts that I "skimmed" in order to make that "reading for the day".. but.. that's alright.. I'm gonna start going through it again.

Furthermore, it is a great witnessing tool... lol... sounds ridiculous? it does :closedeyes: However, this is what I have experienced... When I was still in the book of Numbers, a friend of mine and I were discussing some thigns and he asked me if I had ever even read the bible all the way through... why that is important to an athiest, I truly have no clue... but I told him where I was at and that the Lord was helping me to through, and he just walked off....

Many months later, finally in Malachi, something else happened... Someone was looking at my bible.. curiousity or something.. who knows... but she pulled at the marker where I had just finished my devotion for that morning... then asked me how much I have read... I told her it was up to that marker.. now.. you tell someone in high school that you have read "that much" of the bible.. the look on their face is priceless :thumbsup::cool: She has been open to talking about things of the bible since.. I told her I was attempting to read it all the way through and she said, "You're crazy".. but yeah, it helps.

Then, last December, finished Revelations and I can't begin to express the joy in my heart to have finally accomplished such through the Lord's help... yes, there were struggles along the way, but the Lord helped me do it. It became as a stepping stone in my Christian life.. a battle overcome... Now, I am trying to read it through again.. yes, having many problems, but that is for other reasons(excuses)... Either way, it seems that my "friends" at school listen to me more.. either because the Lord has given me confidence, taught me things through His word, and one or two of them, because I have read the bible all the way through.. I don't know.. maybe they dont' think of me as ignorant to the things of God or as hypocrite for that reason.. I dont' really know.. however, that has been my experience... It was wonderful to have read it and I would advice it as the Lord leads. But yeah, it takes commitment based on desire to serve God.

*ok.. this post is getting long.. I'll try to make this short*

However, with reading the bible all the way through, for dicipleship... try helping that Christian as they progress through it and remind them that it isn't about just reading those chapters for the day, but studying them and listening to God speak. There are times it'll get hard, but keep going. Many times, they are going to have to force themselves to do it, and others, tell them if they miss a day, just keep going .. don't stop and try to "make up".. read those chapters the next day and keep going from there.. ever pressing forward... Don't forget "This book will keep you from sin, or sin will keep you from this book"

With love in Christ Jesus,

Crystal

• Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

A few years ago one of the speakers during the Saturday morning session of a Promise Keepers Rally encouraged us to read the Bible for endurance and not speed. The speakers idenity I do not remember, he was not a high profile speaker. He spoke with a soft tone and if I remember he was not a pastor like most of the other speakers. He said too many of us see the goal is to read this book entirely and be really familiar with its content. He reminded us you can buy commentaries and overviews that can do that for you. He then took a very large glass of room temperature water and pulled out a Lipton tea bag. He said so many people read the Bible like this, and he read 10 verses at a little faster than normal reading pace and took the bag out the water color had changed little. Then he said but this is the way God intended, He palced the bag back in the water and we headed off in a full length exposition and meditation on 2 verses held in context and applied to our lives. After 30 minutes of fully invlved concentration of just a 2 phrases in the book of Psalms we looked at the glass it had turned into tea. We then prayed through the impact of our study with confession and declaration, he reached in his other pocket pulled out a spoon from his other pocket and stirred the glass and drank it. Great illustration, afterall meditation, recall, and understanding are the goal. The gospel and wisdom for living found in every book of the Bible. In seminary I was forced to read the Bible through in one semester in addition to probably 2,000 pages of additional text for classes. That was a chore and getting through it so I could say wth a clear conscience I did it was the only way I accomplished it, However, recently in an accountability group of sorts with 12 pastors I impulsively asked the group how many have ever read the book we preach from cover to cover... only half raised their hands. I challenged them to correct this.