"Too heavenly minded to be any earthly good"

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21
  • Days Won:  0

It talks about those who are so focued on the "glories of heaven" that they forget they are to be effective human beings as well. In other words, its not just about being saved or having glory in Heaven or anything like that. Its about helping humans out and being good human beings as well. Its a quote that is used by Michael Wittmer and Os Guinness in their respectives works.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ballgroundjessy

I knew a guy once at my church that was "too heavenly minded to be any earthly good"

I was really sad. He grew up with a very strick father who was also a preacher.

This guy we'll call "steve" was engaged to my friends only daughter "kate".

Kates family as where very worried about the upcoming marrage.

Steve wouldn't get a job because he felt God has called him to teach a particular class at a particular school. Mean while all the cost for housing the young man went to the soon to be father in law because he had bought his child a small home where Steve had taken up to living in till the wedding. Kate was still living at home.His own father had kicked him out of the house for refussing to work. Now we are not talking about a child here he was 30 years old with no job no savings and no way to put food on his on table no car nothing. We would beg steve to get a job part time some where but he would always say God would provide his job. Now I am not saying thats not true but what about your cost of living in the mean time? He really thought it was ok to marry this young woman with out having any way to suport them or himself. He had been offered several jobs but always said God told him not to take that job.

My husband and I where in Bible study classes with this soon to be married couple. There where a lot of things that where a bit out of place about steve. He was so focused on heaven that he wouldn't even talk to people that the thought where unclean as he put it. This ended up to be applyed to me and my husband. Because my husband and I believe we are a team and that my thoughts on things are important just as are his. This sent steve in to a tail spin.

Anyway my understand of the saying is that being too heavenly minded to be any earthly good is a person that does not handle his/her bussiness here on earth and allows his/her family or there self to suffer for it while doing things in the name of God to help others.

It is really is wrong to use this saying but its the only thing that fits. I know its not nice. And I did tell Steve that I was sorry for feeling the way I do toward him.

Guest jckduboise

It could possibly be that statement is a compliment to those who keeps their sights on Heaven so that the world is unable not gain another soul and Heaven losing one...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I don't think it is possible to be "too heavenly minded".

I think if a person is of "no earthly good" they have their mind on something other than heaven.

Colossians 3:1-2 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

Philippians 3:20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:

Maranatha :thumbsup:

I'm new here incase you can't tell that I don't know what I'm doing.

I think that just as Jesus was always mindful of His/our Father's presence and will as a lifestyle, we are to be heavenly minded in the same way by the grace of God if it's our will (the key). But He went about doing His Father's work on earth which really wasn't very glamorous. He kept company with the sinners, the sick, the brokenheated and rejected. When we refuse to associate with these individuals, then we become no earthly good. We aren't here to form cliques. We're here to love people and not reject them because they are sinners. I mean who of us is without sin cast the first stone. Unfortunately, where I've seen individuals who deviate from this, I find that they have lost common sense and run off into flakiness. Sorry if I came on too strong right out of the gate. I've watched people with real physical needs be cast aside so that person can go and pray.

Edited by irini

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I think if a person is of "no earthly good" they have their mind on something other than heaven.

Colossians 3:1-2 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

Philippians 3:20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:

Maranatha :thumbsup:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  258
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

I kinda think about going to a church bake sale and seeing a whole pile of absolutely delicious looking cakes on a table.

None of them are selling and I figure I have just lucked out. Thinking of my freinds, I buy a bunch of them to share.

Later I taste my cake and it just doesnt taste right, I call each of my freinds that I have given a cake to, and they arent to happy with their cakes either, so much so that they say that they would never buy a cake from one of that churchs future bake sales.

Turns out the minister of the church found out there is 35% alcohol in vanilla extract, for religious reasons, the church is against the use of alcohol, so the minister has banned the use of vanilla extract. :emot-LOL:

Knowing that the cakes dont taste right, nobody buys them, less funds are raised

Too heavenly minded to be any earthly good.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  258

Maranatha :emot-LOL:

I'm new here incase you can't tell that I don't know what I'm doing.

I think that just as Jesus was always mindful of His/our Father's presence and will as a lifestyle, we are to be heavenly minded in the same way by the grace of God if it's our will (the key). But He went about doing His Father's work on earth which really wasn't very glamorous. He kept company with the sinners, the sick, the brokenheated and rejected. When we refuse to associate with these individuals, then we become no earthly good. We aren't here to form cliques. We're here to love people and not reject them because they are sinners. I mean who of us is without sin cast the first stone. Unfortunately, where I've seen individuals who deviate from this, I find that they have lost common sense and run off into flakiness. Sorry if I came on too strong right out of the gate. I've watched people with real physical needs be cast aside so that person can go and pray.

I like your perspective, its different from what I was thinking

mike2

Edited by mike2

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  295
  • Birthday:  04/26/1932

We are put on this Earth to be of use to our Lord in reaching out to our fellow man. When we become so involved in "churchy" things and are only only interested in improving our "Christian" knowledge and standing that we don't do what we were put here to do we indeed ARE "so heavenly minded that we are no Earthly good" :emot-LOL: .

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  559
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  07/29/1975

It could possibly be that statement is a compliment to those who keeps their sights on Heaven so that the world is unable not gain another soul and Heaven losing one...

Yes, I think its a compliment to a person who keeps thier eyes on heaven. But it also seems like the person who would say it would mean it in a mean way. Even though, its a compliment.

I for one have meet people who thought it was a put down to say you love the lord. I do not feel this way, but when someone tells me I am such and such because I do not curse, or drink or do whatever with them, I feel better knowing that my ways are right, and others see it. Even if they think its such and such.