• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

hello, Mike and Irini, glad you are here

Hi jckduboise and Mike. It's nice to be here.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I don't think it is possible to be "too heavenly minded".

I think if a person is of "no earthly good" they have their mind on something other than heaven.

Colossians 3:1-2 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

Philippians 3:20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:

Maranatha :thumbsup:

I'm new here incase you can't tell that I don't know what I'm doing.

I think that just as Jesus was always mindful of His/our Father's presence and will as a lifestyle, we are to be heavenly minded in the same way by the grace of God if it's our will (the key). But He went about doing His Father's work on earth which really wasn't very glamorous. He kept company with the sinners, the sick, the brokenheated and rejected. When we refuse to associate with these individuals, then we become no earthly good. We aren't here to form cliques. We're here to love people and not reject them because they are sinners. I mean who of us is without sin cast the first stone. Unfortunately, where I've seen individuals who deviate from this, I find that they have lost common sense and run off into flakiness. Sorry if I came on too strong right out of the gate. I've watched people with real physical needs be cast aside so that person can go and pray.

I like your perspective, its different from what I was thinking

mike2

Hi mike2. Thanks. I think that if we don't have a personal, very intimate relationship with Jesus which will be in line with His word, then we become no earthly good and what we have is mere religion. We can't have Christianity without Christ. And I think this comment can apply to people who have said the sinner's prayer but infact haven't accepted Christ in the hearts and are allowing Him to live through them. They run off doing churchy things and avoiding the "sinners". My experience is that I have to accept God's entire word as my opinion and not the other way around. If we reject scriptures we don't like, then we've kept parts of our hearts from Him. It's like locking a door and telling Him don't go in there and mess with that area. I like it as it is. But it's a life long process. If we have intimacy with Christ (which is another bunch of words that we all apply our own meaning to) we can be heavenly minded and earthly good just our Saviour was and still is through us if we are willing.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  331
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  08/02/1949

[i]"I'm new here incase you can't tell that I don't know what I'm doing.

I think that just as Jesus was always mindful of His/our Father's presence and will as a lifestyle, we are to be heavenly minded in the same way by the grace of God if it's our will (the key). But He went about doing His Father's work on earth which really wasn't very glamorous. He kept company with the sinners, the sick, the brokenheated and rejected. When we refuse to associate with these individuals, then we become no earthly good. We aren't here to form cliques. We're here to love people and not reject them because they are sinners. I mean who of us is without sin cast the first stone. Unfortunately, where I've seen individuals who deviate from this, I find that they have lost common sense and run off into flakiness. Sorry if I came on too strong right out of the gate. I've watched people with real physical needs be cast aside so that person can go and pray."

Howdy,:thumbsup:

A person that doesn't do what Christ did is no earthly good. The are not heavenly minded.

We are to love sinners but not their sins. Jesus did not accept sin and called "sinners to repentance".

We should do the same.

Luke 5:32 I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Jesus told people to go and "sin no more".

John 5:14 Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.

John 8:11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

We need to know when to draw the line and separate from those who are in the church who refuse to repent.

1 Corinthians 5:11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.

Edited by Rober H

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.49

Where are we commanded to be "heavenly" minded? What does that even mean? I've read where we should have the mind of Christ, I've read about renewing our minds, setting our minds on things "above" and seeking first the "Kingdom of God" .... but I must've missed the verses that tell us that we should focus on heaven. :taped:

Heaven is not our home, and neither should it be our focus....ever. We are here in this world for a reason, and while we're here we should be concentrating on being instruments of God's grace, people who are devoted to bringing about God's Kingdom...here and now. This is what the whole "Thy Kingdom come" prayer was all about.....on earth as it is in heaven. Instead, it seems like people get it all backwards; longing for heaven and forgetting that this is where we are meant to be. While it's true we should seek to do things that have an eternal impact, this does not mean we neglect all things temporary in the process.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

Where are we commanded to be "heavenly" minded? What does that even mean? I've read where we should have the mind of Christ, I've read about renewing our minds, setting our minds on things "above" and seeking first the "Kingdom of God" .... but I must've missed the verses that tell us that we should focus on heaven. :taped:

Heaven is not our home, and neither should it be our focus....ever. We are here in this world for a reason, and while we're here we should be concentrating on being instruments of God's grace, people who are devoted to bringing about God's Kingdom...here and now. This is what the whole "Thy Kingdom come" prayer was all about.....on earth as it is in heaven. Instead, it seems like people get it all backwards; longing for heaven and forgetting that this is where we are meant to be. While it's true we should seek to do things that have an eternal impact, this does not mean we neglect all things temporary in the process.

I agree probably with your practical goal in your post, but you are incorrect in saying heaven is not our home. We are repeatedly told we are aliens, strangers, pilgrims here. We are told to keep our eyes on the finish line. We are told to be motivated for the rewards of heaven. We are told the test of the genuineness of our faith is a desire to join Him in what He has prepared for us. We are told to be watchful and alert for the second coming. We are told to store our treasures in heaven and not here.....etc...etc...etc... But I agree, our faith is not an elementary "pie in the sky" mentality. We are "saved unto good works". We need to be busy and look forward to the big party but not stall.

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

Where are we commanded to be "heavenly" minded? What does that even mean? I've read where we should have the mind of Christ, I've read about renewing our minds, setting our minds on things "above" and seeking first the "Kingdom of God" .... but I must've missed the verses that tell us that we should focus on heaven. :emot-handshake:

I agree probably with your practical goal in your post, but you are incorrect in saying heaven is not our home. We are repeatedly told we are aliens, strangers, pilgrims here. We are told to keep our eyes on the finish line. We are told to be motivated for the rewards of heaven. We are told the test of the genuineness of our faith is a desire to join Him in what He has prepared for us. We are told to be watchful and alert for the second coming. We are told to store our treasures in heaven and not here.....etc...etc...etc... But I agree, our faith is not an elementary "pie in the sky" mentality. We are "saved unto good works". We need to be busy and look forward to the big party but not stall.

No, Heaven isn't our home at all. It's a temporary holding place that will eventually pass away someday. Instead, we will return to this earth (albiet new and improved, rescued from the effects of the fall) which will be our eternal home. The point that is being made is that we focus so much on "heavenly" things when "heavenly" things are not our priority and will not last forever either. Our purpose in being saved is not to achieve Heaven but instead to glorify God in all of our actions.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.49

Where are we commanded to be "heavenly" minded? What does that even mean? I've read where we should have the mind of Christ, I've read about renewing our minds, setting our minds on things "above" and seeking first the "Kingdom of God" .... but I must've missed the verses that tell us that we should focus on heaven. :emot-handshake:

No, Heaven isn't our home at all. It's a temporary holding place that will eventually pass away someday. Instead, we will return to this earth (albiet new and improved, rescued from the effects of the fall) which will be our eternal home. The point that is being made is that we focus so much on "heavenly" things when "heavenly" things are not our priority and will not last forever either. Our purpose in being saved is not to achieve Heaven but instead to glorify God in all of our actions.

Exactly. The New Earth will be our home. As I stated in the other topic, the reason we are "pilgrims" or "aliens" in this life is not because the earth will never be our home, it's because it isn't currently our home (as it exists now). We long for it to be restored, for the place Jesus is preparing for us (which we are told in Revelation 21 is the New Earth). The problem with some modern theology about heaven is that it has gnostic implications. We aren't waiting to be delivered from the earth, we are waiting for deliverance on it. In Isaiah (where much of the references to the New Earth are found), there is a verse that talks about the earth giving birth to her dead (i think it's 29:19). It's referring to our bodily resurrection, just before everything is renewed. Isaiah 65:17-25 thoroughly discusses the establishment of the New Earth as the setting for God's Kingdom. The entire unfolding of God's redemptive plan focuses on the ultimate establishment of God's reign on Earth, forever and ever (Isaiah 60:21).

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  331
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  08/02/1949

Where are we commanded to be "heavenly" minded? What does that even mean? I've read where we should have the mind of Christ, I've read about renewing our minds, setting our minds on things "above" and seeking first the "Kingdom of God" .... but I must've missed the verses that tell us that we should focus on heaven. :noidea:

Exactly. The New Earth will be our home. As I stated in the other topic, the reason we are "pilgrims" or "aliens" in this life is not because the earth will never be our home, it's because it isn't currently our home (as it exists now). We long for it to be restored, for the place Jesus is preparing for us (which we are told in Revelation 21 is the New Earth). The problem with some modern theology about heaven is that it has gnostic implications. We aren't waiting to be delivered from the earth, we are waiting for deliverance on it. In Isaiah (where much of the references to the New Earth are found), there is a verse that talks about the earth giving birth to her dead (i think it's 29:19). It's referring to our bodily resurrection, just before everything is renewed. Isaiah 65:17-25 thoroughly discusses the establishment of the New Earth as the setting for God's Kingdom. The entire unfolding of God's redemptive plan focuses on the ultimate establishment of God's reign on Earth, forever and ever (Isaiah 60:21).

We certainly look forward to a New Heaven's and New Earth(2 Peter 3) and we know that the righteous shall dwell there but this isn't the point.

We want God's "will to be done on earth as it is (presently in heaven)"

In my opinion (only my opinion) I don't think this thread should get side tracked into a theological debate.

Philippians 3:20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:

2 Corinthians 5:1 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

Matthew 6:19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

Matthew 6:20-22 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

Luke 18:22 Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

Colossians 1:5 For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel;

Revelation 11:11 And after three days and an half the Spirit of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet; and great fear fell upon them which saw them.

Revelation 11:12 And they heard a great voice from heaven saying unto them, Come up hither. And they ascended up to heaven in a cloud; and their enemies beheld them.

The discussion is can some people being so "heavenly minded" that they are no "earthly good".

Again in my opinion... that is where the topic should remain.

In His word,

Robert

Edited by Rober H

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

Where are we commanded to be "heavenly" minded? What does that even mean? I've read where we should have the mind of Christ, I've read about renewing our minds, setting our minds on things "above" and seeking first the "Kingdom of God" .... but I must've missed the verses that tell us that we should focus on heaven. ;)

David, I am glad to finally have something I can agree with you on. I absolutely disagree with that statement about being too heavenly minded to be of any earthly good. I believe it is just the opposite. I believe you can be too carnally minded to be of any good to God. I agree with you that for the Christian, heaven is our home and we are strangers and pilgrims on this earth. We are citizens of the Kingdom of God and ambassadors in this world. As such, we should be about the Father's business while here below. Concerning A.K. and Tess's position about living eternally on a renovated earth, I do not disagree with that. After the millenial reign of Christ there will be a new heaven and a new earth, but until Christ sets up his kingdom, the departed Christians will dwell in heaven. I suppose one could claim to be "renovated earthly minded" and then debate the issue of whether that is good or bad.

Hey Butero...we agree and no reservation...But there really is a lot we do agree on we just converse most often on the few areas we disagree...But it is nice to celebrate absolute agreement.