IGNORED

Prayer over the meal...good idea or requirement?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

One of the minimal Christian expectations it seems, is at least to pray over the meal in private or in the public. But, do we do that because tradition tell us or is this the "11th commandment"? If you are in a non-Christian setting do you lead the prayer or do you pray privately to yourself? If responding please separate what you term Biblical interpretation from what personal conviction leads you to do.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  806
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  10/21/1973

Personal conviction prompts me to pray silently w/non-Christians.

Don't want to create an odd situation, and the non-C will often take note of the pause-

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  157
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  11/13/1946

One of the minimal Christian expectations it seems, is at least to pray over the meal in private or in the public. But, do we do that because tradition tell us or is this the "11th commandment"? If you are in a non-Christian setting do you lead the prayer or do you pray privately to yourself? If responding please separate what you term Biblical interpretation from what personal conviction leads you to do.

I don't think it should be considered a commandment. In a non-Christian setting I have prayed and the people around me didn't even know it. At times I have asked if they minded if I pray over the meal. A lot of times in a non-Christian setting someone will ask me to bless the food. For me it depends on the situation. On other occasions I have had people ask me to "pray that Baptist prayer." Which I do. It is a memorized prayer that is short and to the point. Some do not like memorized prayers. I pray them anyway. Good question. I look forward to some of the replies. :blink:;):24:

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  11/18/1965

I pray before I eat, even around non-Christians,and I really don't care if it bothers them or not. :blink:;) (the nonChristians never seem to mind, however)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

Aren't we supposed to be thankful for all things? It's not hard to be thankful when you're at the bottom. But when things are good how many of us start expecting more? Is it essential yo give a speech about our thankfulness, or is being thankful sufficient? It seems to me that we wouldn't get much done in life if we stopped to say a few words about each daily experience. :blink:

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  195
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

1 Thessalonians 5:17

Pray without ceasing.

that said, i can tell you that all food and drink can be blessed(good words said) or cursed(bad words said) and that these words make an actual physical difference in the molecular structure of the food.

i would not intentionally offend anyone.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  111
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  02/02/1953

I pray before I eat, even around non-Christians,and I really don't care if it bothers them or not. :thumbsup::thumbsup: (the nonChristians never seem to mind, however)
amen :thumbsup::emot-highfive:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  640
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

i try to pray over my food irrregardless of non-christians. i feel as though i am being disrespectful and unfaithful if i don't pray over my meal. for all things large and small i am thankful. i feel as if i am denying God if i am intimidated about praying in front of others. let no one think for a second i am ashamed of my Lord. this is just me, not any doctrine that i know of. nor is it intended to be a challenge or an indictment of anyone else.

Edited by dakota190

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  295
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  04/26/1932

"Grace" is not Biblically mandated. It has become a "Christian religious habit" that some feel is necessary. God knows our heart and whether or not we are grateful for the gifts He gives us. I pray before a meal at special family gatherings at which time I'm asking for God's blessing more for the family than on the food.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

We thank God , it matters none to us who is listening...

never thought about whether or not I might offend anyone...