IGNORED

Prayer over the meal...good idea or requirement?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,663
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  0

One of the minimal Christian expectations it seems, is at least to pray over the meal in private or in the public. But, do we do that because tradition tell us or is this the "11th commandment"? If you are in a non-Christian setting do you lead the prayer or do you pray privately to yourself? If responding please separate what you term Biblical interpretation from what personal conviction leads you to do.

Hi David,

Great question! :emot-highfive:

I try to remember to say grace whenever I eat, whether alone or in public. However, I never gave much thought to whether it is Biblical. So I did a little checking.

Scriptural references to how we should receive our food:

Acts 27:35

Tim 4:3-5

Romans 14:6

I Corinthians 10:30

There is also evidence in the writings of the Early Church Fathers that "table grace" was a common practice.

For ex...Tertullian: "We do not recline at a banquet before prayer be first tasted -- in like manner prayer puts an end to the feast"

As for your question about how I go about it.............

I have to admit, when I first began saying grace in public it was a little uncomfortable. Now it's as normal as putting my napkin on my lap. If I'm in a restaurant with Christian friends, we usually join hands and pray aloud (though not annoyingly so :thumbsup: ). If I'm not sure of the beliefs of those I'm with, I simply say, "excuse me a moment please", and bow my head and pray silently. Almost always, people respond with a respectful silence, and then resume the conversation after.

A few times, I've had people say, "that's great that you say grace, I should start doing that again"...or something similar.

Prayer before meals offers a brief respite from the hectic pace of life, and gives you a chance to "touch base" with God, and remember who you are.

It's also a beautiful opportunity for Christian witness in a public place.

Thanks for the question!

Peace,

Fiosh

:thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  490
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  02/25/1990

"Wether therefore ye eat or drink, do all to the glory of God". In a verse I learned at camp last year, God puts thankfullness even before fellowship. Although it may be "tradition" in a sense.. it is wonderful to pray(not in vain repititions) over my food, and to thank God for it. Since I started doign so, I have noticed that I am more thankful and satisfied with what I have... my goodness... between my mom who is a wonderful cook, the fact that I even have food on teh table...

It seems like a time out of the day to just sit down and pray.. to thank the Lord throughout the day.. Personally, I don't think that that is too much to ask. :emot-highfive:

Crystal

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

Public prayer is good if it is heart felt and not seen as a show (a way to wittness) or an obligation. Jesus said to pray in our closet rather than on the street. I believe these were the attitudes he was addressing.

I pray silently if I know the person will be offended. If not, I MAY ask if they mind or they'd like me or my kids to pray. Usually they are ok with it. I did have one unbeliever start eating while we were praying (what happened to good ole southern manners? I thought you had to wait for everyone to start eating....) but he did not mind. So far nobody has as long as we don't mind that they don't and as along as we don't make it a marathon prayer.

But usually I just say "quaker grace" (silent) in public.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  828
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  12/28/1980

I think that prayer is very essential to our walk with God and we should always thank God for his blessings, all throughout the day. We also can not forget our children and teach them to pray. (I have mine say the Lord's prayer every night). A lot of people think that prayer should be allowed in schools but how many have prayer in there homes? It is the job of the parents to teach there children to pray. What if people started to read a psalm and pray before every evening meal? How would the mealtime change? I think this has been lost due to our fast paced lives.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.22
  • Days Won:  58

that said, i can tell you that all food and drink can be blessed(good words said) or cursed(bad words said) and that these words make an actual physical difference in the molecular structure of the food.

I would like to see proof that it changes the molecular structure of food.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

that said, i can tell you that all food and drink can be blessed(good words said) or cursed(bad words said) and that these words make an actual physical difference in the molecular structure of the food.

What about Lord pleaswe remove the calories and the excessive fat grams :emot-highfive:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  195
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

dr emoto has been working with water. he can label a vial of water angel and another of the same water devil and then freeze the water after people have simply read the labels. the crystals of the water, under a microscope, are beautiful and symetrical from the vial marked angel and from the vial marked devil, the frozen water doesnt even form a crystal - it looks like a cesspool instead. his work is amazing. this will prove that at least the water molecules in your food are physically effected by thought, sound, words, etc. be ready to be completely amazed. i got a glimpse of him here in kansas city. he has to lecture through a translator but seeing him speak is worth it.

(Links removed by moderator)

What about Lord pleaswe remove the calories and the excessive fat grams :emot-highfive:

thats funny! i did a 30 day oranges only monofruit diet. i never felt better at the end of it. its the next best thing to fasting.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5,266
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Birthday:  03/21/1954

I always stop to thank the Lord for my food and the blessings he has provided throughout the day. It may not be mandated, but to stop 3 times a day and acknowledge God cannot be a bad thing.

If I am with a non believer, I will usually just say, Excuse me a moment, close my eyes and pray silently....and in that case I ask the Lord to help me watch my mouth too, that the words I say will draw my friend closer to...not further from...a relationship with Him.

I always stop to thank the Lord for my food and the blessings he has provided throughout the day. It may not be mandated, but to stop 3 times a day and acknowledge God cannot be a bad thing.

If I am with a non believer, I will usually just say, Excuse me a moment, close my eyes and pray silently....and in that case I ask the Lord to help me watch my mouth too, that the words I say will draw my friend closer to...not further from...a relationship with Him.

i eat one meal a day now in the evening. it leaves more energy during the day for other tasks.