• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

Occasssionally, I will meet a "professing" Christian who will display in their conversation a deep cultural prejudice against blacks or hispanics. Immediatetly their authienticity as a Christian is questionable. A whole volume of Scriptures start racing through my head how about you. But in this thread, if we can try to reach a conclusion. Can a biggot be a Christian?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

People are xenophobic by nature. We tend to compartmentalize the people who have wronged us and blame the entire race/tribe for that evil.

Having said, there are so called Christian sects, like the Ku Kux Klan, that tries to interweave racial hatred into New Testament theology. This, to me, is obviously cultic. Is it possible to be a Christian and struggle with racial prejudice? Yes, I think it is. But if you're truly born again, it's not a facet of yourself that would make you pride.

Confession time: I'm something of a homophobe myself. I find gay jokes uproariously funny, but is this Christ honouring? You know what? It probably isn't. Part of me realizes that I'm using humour as a cathartic release for the pent up rage I have for society as goes down its merry gay-embracing way, but I don't think this kind of humour brings much honour to the church of Christ.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  11/18/1965

Here are some scriptures about what the Bible says about hating your brother (any one who is a Christian is your brother/sister, whether he is white, black, hispanic, asian,or whatever):

1Jo 4:20 If anyone says, I love God, and hates his brother, he is a liar. For if he does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen?

1Jo 2:11 But he who hates his brother is in darkness, and walks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because darkness has blinded his eyes.

1Jo 2:9 He who says he is in the light and hates his brother is in darkness until now.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  295
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  04/26/1932

Occasssionally, I will meet a "professing" Christian who will display in their conversation a deep cultural prejudice against blacks or hispanics. Immediatetly their authienticity as a Christian is questionable. A whole volume of Scriptures start racing through my head how about you. But in this thread, if we can try to reach a conclusion. Can a biggot be a Christian?

I believe that many of us, to some degree, are predjudiced for whatever reason. But those of us who really try to live for God do not act on those predjudices. And yes, I believe it is possible for those of us who feel that way to treat those of color with love and respect knowing that not all of them are numbered among those who create problems in our society. That does not make us biggots. Biggots are those who act on the predjudices by discriminating against those of other races or by belittling them. For me personally I harbor a certain amount of predjudice against groups of any color who demand they be treated differently than I am or be entitled to more than I'm entitled to because of the color of their skin or because they want to hold me responsible for injustices their ancestors suffered. In my present position I work around and supervise people of several colors. And there are warm and wonderful human beings numbered among these people. My son even has his on a lovely African-American young lady who works with my wife and me. I encourage him in pursuing that relationship. Especially she is a very strong Christian.

For a biggot to claim to be a follower of the Lord is a contradiction, IMO. But only God knows their heart.

Edited by His Ambassador

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

So long as they are willing to work on it.

• Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

David, you only spoke of two prejudices, believe me there are many more than that ..

any combination you can come up with ..

all have their prejudices no matter what their color..

and all have sinned and come short...

Once we are Christians the Spirit of the Lord is in us to help us to realize their is no distinction and we are all one in Christ Jesus..

Accepting Christ does not automatically destroy all our problems we have to grow out of them....

always growing into the knowledge of the truth of His love for us all... :emot-highfive:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

What about this verse? We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love his brother abides in death.1 John 3:14NKJV

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

Can a sinner be a christian? Some christians spend most of their life in thrall to one sin or another. It is possible, especially if they were raised this way because they've known nothing else. However, at one point or another...the HS might work to deal with it and at one point or another they will have to make a decision to repent or keep their pet sin. And scripture says if they are a true believer, eventually they will repent.

When is this? I don't know. Has the person I am talking to who is a biggot reached this place in their faith, I don't know. However, it is my place as a fellow believer to show them, in love, how scripture teaches equality in Christ and how their attitude clashes.

There is a difference though between not liking something and hating it. I don't like the preppy culture, but I don't hate preps. I don't really have any great love for the main culture of society, but I don't hate the people who are in it. There are alot of people who don't really like my culture but don't hate me.

• Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

What about this verse? We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love his brother abides in death.1 John 3:14NKJV

When I am yielded to the Spirit of God in me I love my brother.....

no distinctions at all....

when I am not and I sin in either ignorance or on purpose the the work of the Holy Spirit is to convict me of sin and show me the truth....

death abides in the flesh nature .....

Life and Godliness in the New Creation I am in Christ Jesus....