• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  0

Hi all,

I have just read through this entire thread as I was going to start another thread on what was on my mind but I thought it would better go in this thread. There are a lot of good comments and advice that has been given and it has been very enlightening.

Anyways what I wanted to say is that I know of a person who does not cut but instead they "erase there skin with an eraser" and they have many scars on there arms as a result of this behaviour. I hear alot about cutting, biting, etc., within the posts but have not heard any thing about erasing of one's skin. When this person erases they go pretty deep into their skin as you can see the depth of whatever they are feeling and going through by it all.

I was just wondering if any body had any insight into erasing one's skin away and what would lead someone to do this? Does age limits enter into the picture when someone does this or could it be done at any age in one's life? This person is not a teenager or anything like that and it's kind of puzzling as I thought this kind of thing only happened to younger people.

thanks for any input or insight

OC

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  2,791
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  06/13/1977

Hi all,

I have just read through this entire thread as I was going to start another thread on what was on my mind but I thought it would better go in this thread. There are a lot of good comments and advice that has been given and it has been very enlightening.

Anyways what I wanted to say is that I know of a person who does not cut but instead they "erase there skin with an eraser" and they have many scars on there arms as a result of this behaviour. I hear alot about cutting, biting, etc., within the posts but have not heard any thing about erasing of one's skin. When this person erases they go pretty deep into their skin as you can see the depth of whatever they are feeling and going through by it all.

I was just wondering if any body had any insight into erasing one's skin away and what would lead someone to do this? Does age limits enter into the picture when someone does this or could it be done at any age in one's life? This person is not a teenager or anything like that and it's kind of puzzling as I thought this kind of thing only happened to younger people.

OC

Eraser burns are quite common among cutters, that is another thing I used to do. Eraser burns can become infected quite easily as well. There are no age limits on self injury. There are many self injury awareness groups available online that you may want to look into. Pray for your friend.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.69

Hi all,

OC

Eraser burns are quite common among cutters, that is another thing I used to do. Eraser burns can become infected quite easily as well. There are no age limits on self injury. There are many self injury awareness groups available online that you may want to look into. Pray for your friend.

Thanks GodsLove26 for sharing your experience. I had no idea that skin erasing was common among cutters it's just something I haven't heard about. I agree that prayer is the right thing as it brings comfort to us individually and to others as well. I will look around online to see if I can find those self injury awareness groups you mentioned. I also noticed as I read through this thread many think that it is a coping mechanism and others have different opinions as why someone hurts themselves in these type of ways. After seeing the person I mentioned I think it is a coping mechanism for them some kind of outlet it seems and it is really a bad thing to see happen to them.

Again thanks for your input and sharing your experience with it.

blessings

OC

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

I have a niece who has a 12 yr. old daughter who recently cut her arm many, many times. She is a product of a divorce since a small child. She listens to wrong music and reads about witches. She dresses in black and paints her nails black and wears very dark lipstick and is into Gothic. How can we approach her to get her out of this direction?

Thanks.

Pam

I have alot of friends who are Christian and Gothic, Gothic is just a style, as far as wrong music, there are many Christian bands that have the darker sound to their music, yet hold a majorly positive message, One thing that might help randomly buy her some Christian cd's that have the sound she's looking for, As far as witches, Pray about it, that is a major bondage to get into, and very hard to get out of, witness to her the best you can.

Judging by what your saying, she needs a lot of guidence, cutting is a sign of low self esteem, also it can be a hard addiction to break. This can be broken with much encouragement.

It sounds like she's crying out for attention inside, yet closing it off on the outside, Encourage her, and try to lift her up.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,822
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

:emot-questioned: from damo1

i am a youth worker and i have worked close with youth that have done this i deal with kids from brokken homes and a lot of what i picked up is this many find it hard to state what is realy going on some do this to seek attention others do it cause they might have grown up in an abusive enviroment i had a friend who use to do this and every time we saw her she had new marks on her

there are good youth counslers as i do a fair bit of out reach work and i have a list with contacts that i can pass a young person on to yes try what most have told you

yet seek out some one that your niece can begin to talk to as comming from a brokken home is not nice as i too my self am from a brokken home and it took me a long time to heal and know i am able to love those like my self and just be there for them

i use to do odd things when i was feeling down sevral times i tried suicide yet i could not come to this to wear i could end my life i would blame my self as most kids threw divorce put the blame on them selves to what happend to there parents my way out of the pain i was feeling was drugs yet this did not last long as when i came down reality would hit and i would want to escape she is at a young age wear she needs a good counsler if you can not do this your self or your daughter

try one of the local churches to near wear your daughter lives and just talk with some one

i wil pray for your niece from damo1

Guest Chris777

When i was 13 (im 24 now) i used to light matches and set them on my arm to burn myself until they burner out. IT HURT BAD!!! it usually happened after i somehow was rejected (by some other child of the devil.) I also didnt like to eat alot and was skinny pale and malnourished and wore the same black shirt that said "zero" in white letters. My mom gave me a bible and my aunt used to pick me up for church every wednesday and feed me and i would hear a youth pastor who had a definite anointing. When someone is in such darkness you as a Christian and child of God will be such a huge loving light to them it is almost impossible to ignore. Sit her down and preach the Gospel to her was pretty much the truth of what you should do. When i was burning myself (burning hurts way worse than cutting tbh but i cut too) IT HURT! i didnt like it at all niether does your niece most likely she wants to be loved so show her that she is a special creation of God and that He loves her. :whistling: also make sure she has a copy of the Word. I started out reading Ecclesiastes and saw truth in things like it is better off to have not lived and mourn at a birth celebrate at a funeral i bet she would be surprised the bible makes such statemtents i know i was. Then i started to understand more of it as a whole and the seed was planted.

• 12 years later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 9/25/2003 at 8:26 AM, Guest Masterseeker said:

I have a niece who has a 12 yr. old daughter who recently cut her arm many, many times. She is a product of a divorce since a small child. She listens to wrong music and reads about witches. She dresses in black and paints her nails black and wears very dark lipstick and is into Gothic. How can we approach her to get her out of this direction?

Thanks.

Pam

Just be honest and open and show her you are concerned.