• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  99
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/12/1982

I got criticised by my friend today... He said that I am begging Asian because many years ago I had attended a Japanese Church, a Chinese Church, I have a Japanese Bible, and he claimed I had a Chinese Bible too.

I explained that I was not raised Christian, but I had a friend in high school who was a full fledge Christian and was concerned about me and wanted to convert me to Christianity. The Church he went to his father was the pastor there at that time. The Japanese friend encouraged, suggested, and invited me to attend his Church, thus I did. I stopped going because he told me I should go to a Church that speaks my language.

I went to the Chinese Church for the wrong reason. I did not try to be a member of their church. I just went because I wanted to hang out with my Chinese friend and I know I should not have done such a Sin and will not reoffend. In fact, the Chinese people there asked me if I would come again and I told them no since I was not a member of the Chinese community. Although, the sermons at this Church was done in English.

Oh, the Japanese Bible I got with the English translation. Well, I have that because my Japanese friend's dad, he is a Christian pastor gave it to me. I did not ask for it or anything like that. It was highly kind of him to sacrifice a Bible of his possesion and put it in mine. I greatly appreciate this act of kindness. I did not ask or purposely look for this kind've Bible. Perhaps I should not have recieved it because I might be called begging Asian? As for the accusation for having a Chinese Bible, that was False. I do not have a Chinese Bible. :noidea:

So, what do we do when our friends criticise us? Should I ignore it? Not let it bother me? Is there some effective way of dealing with it? Is this generally how friends are and I should just accept it or should I find new friends? What are your thoughts?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

attending church with a friend of a different culture, what fun...

when i was stationed over seas (in Iceland) would attend the baptist church off base, and have even attended the Lutherin church off base, as well as the chapel on base.

personally, i would go ahead and spend time with the Chinese friend, yes, even in church. the criticising you are receiving may be from your other friends being envious of your Chinese friend, and maybe trying to pull you away...

enjoy all your friends, and even the one that your Chinese friend is trying to introduce you to, this friend can be the best friend you will ever have.

cruticising, this will be a life long thing, no matter what you do or say there will always be those that will have something negative to say. believe me, been there, had that done, no matter what, you can not please everyone.... for instance, ask 100 people what make and model of car you should be getting, and you will get 100 answers, and very few if any will be what you really want, and not too many will even agree on what they think you should have.

if you listen to opinions, that is what you will get, everyone has one ( like bellie buttons ) and some are just full of lint.....

enjoy going to church with your Chinese friend, and meet the friend that your Chinese friend is trying to introduce you to.

evidently, the other people at that church like you. or they would not have invited you back.

this may be the oportunity of a life time, one to make new friends and to learn about other cultures, shoot, maybe some day you will have the chance to travel to China, and this is just the begining of a wonderful life.

go, enjoy your new found frineds.. and the very special one that is waiting for you to meet Him.

Bless Bless....

mike

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

by the way, I have tryed to learn some Chinese, it is not easy.

We do have a friend that we call our Chinese Daughter. she is a wonderful young lady, and some day we would like to meet her, either with her coming to the USA or us going to China...

anyways, enjoy.

mike

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

Explain to your friend just exactly what you just told us! Then let it go, that I can see from your post, you haven't done anything wrong , don't owe and explanation or and apology to anybody, unless this friend is someone who's company you cherish. I think sharing worship, friendship, a Bible and understanding is living your faith, so enjoy it! Don't let someone take something good and turn it into something bad!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  120

Manji----

Sometimes we put too much value in what our friends say to us, especially if they criticize us.

Is your friend saved?

Remember that what they say to criticize you is not a fact. It is their opinion, and most opinions do no matter, what matters is the truth, and the convictions that God may lay upon you.

Be your own person. Trust that your intentions are that of a Godly person, and don't let anyone hurt you like that.

Many years I was dependent on what others thought and said about and to me. Not anymore. I have learned to become my own person. And, if people that I love have a hard time with what I do or what I have to say, they have got to deal with it in their own way. And, I tell them so.

I hope this helps.

Forgive your friend, it may be ignorance on his or her part.

Blessings,

Rachel

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  640
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

if a friend engages in "constructive criticism", something that is meant to help you grow and improve, as it relates to something important, then perhaps we should consider what he said. however, if the criticism is mean spirited, or about something that is so unimportant, as what you related to us, i would look strongly at his motives in criticizing. if this man is a friend why would he call you a name? granted i don't know what a begging asian is, but it doesn't sound like a term of love and caring. you have done nothing wrong and as you draw closer to the Lord, different friends will be attracted to you. perhaps that is part of the problem, he is insecure about your out growing him and moving on. it is only a thought, of a middle aged semi-baldheaded man. Good Bless, and remember to pray about your problems and your friends, and for them. place all things in the Lord's hands.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  559
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  07/29/1975

Friends will say what they will.

If your friend is really a friend then explain. Tell them it was given to you and that your not a begger.

Was your friend jealous because you had another friend as interesting??

Pray that God can soften that persons heart.

Friends are rare.

If a person is going to try to hurt your feelings on purpose do you need them??

IF that person did not mean to hurt you, then just tell them it hurt you and leave it at that.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  01/03/1947

You have had some very good advice, my friend, and I only have one suggestion. When anyone does you wrong, always pray for them and that God will bless them. I know it doesn't sound right but it does work!

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  99
  • Birthday:  01/12/1982

Prayer always has a positive effect for me. I don't pray often but I actually love prayer.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  397
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

I got criticised by my friend today... He said that I am begging Asian because many years ago I had attended a Japanese Church, a Chinese Church, I have a Japanese Bible, and he claimed I had a Chinese Bible too.

I explained that I was not raised Christian, but I had a friend in high school who was a full fledge Christian and was concerned about me and wanted to convert me to Christianity. The Church he went to his father was the pastor there at that time. The Japanese friend encouraged, suggested, and invited me to attend his Church, thus I did. I stopped going because he told me I should go to a Church that speaks my language.

I went to the Chinese Church for the wrong reason. I did not try to be a member of their church. I just went because I wanted to hang out with my Chinese friend and I know I should not have done such a Sin and will not reoffend. In fact, the Chinese people there asked me if I would come again and I told them no since I was not a member of the Chinese community. Although, the sermons at this Church was done in English.

Oh, the Japanese Bible I got with the English translation. Well, I have that because my Japanese friend's dad, he is a Christian pastor gave it to me. I did not ask for it or anything like that. It was highly kind of him to sacrifice a Bible of his possesion and put it in mine. I greatly appreciate this act of kindness. I did not ask or purposely look for this kind've Bible. Perhaps I should not have recieved it because I might be called begging Asian? As for the accusation for having a Chinese Bible, that was False. I do not have a Chinese Bible. :thumbsup:

So, what do we do when our friends criticise us? Should I ignore it? Not let it bother me? Is there some effective way of dealing with it? Is this generally how friends are and I should just accept it or should I find new friends? What are your thoughts?

Hello manji,

I was real bored and then I came across your profile! I'm also Chinese and happen to love mixed martial arts and grappling/ju-jitsu! My parents are from Taiwan. I speak mandarin Chinese. I grew up in America. As for your friends criticising you, you can just learn the way from Jesus Christ. This will be the most effective way to deal with it. You can pray for Jesus to take control of your mind, emotion, and will when your friends criticise you. In this way you minister Jesus Christ to them through your living and behaviour.

I believe that the Japanese pastor who gave you the bible is not only a highly kind act on his part...but it is also part of God's plan. So I wouldn't see yourself as a begging Asian for having the Japanese bible but as one who has a purpose in Jesus Christ. Make good use of this bible that you have. You will then be ministering Christ to others and to your own friends.