• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  86
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/28/1982

Hey there guys and gals! :thumbsup:

Heres my problem. Im a member of the Assembly of God and while we are much smaller than the big American churches we are growing fast. We get about about +-1000 people comming to each service.

The church has decided to take on the whole "mega church" persona and Im not exactly thrilled about this. It becomming so impersonal and the pastors are becomming unaproachable.

My beef with all of this is that the church is SO concerned with numbers that they are neglecting to nurture their congregation and Im not the only one who feels like this. We used to be a family and now we are a business. I love my church and am reall concerned. If they want to have more people in church rather build a new church instead of consantly growing a already flourishing one.

For those of you who are in mega church's, please can you give me your imput. This is something that has been weighing heavely on my heart and some guidance would be most welcome.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

There seems, sociologically, to be a "fellowship barrier" at about 40 persons. That is, it is very difficult to have that level of intimate concourse which we usually define as fellowship with more than about 40 people. Most 'megachurches' have Pastoral staff in 'layers' so that everybody gets Pastoral care and oversight. It is clear that when the church has 1000 persons, you're not going to get to personally speak to the head Pastor personally very often, any more than an assembly line worker at GM gets to speak personally with the CEO!

I don't know why this would be a problem, if there is competent spiritual leadership at each level.

However, if you're really wanting to make sure you have access to senior Pastoral staff, it is quite simple. Just go to the church secretary, speak calmly and rationally with her, and donate $100,000; that's been known to work just fine........

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  490
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Birthday:  02/25/1990

You know Leonard, I was reading your post all the way through and comtemplating everything you were saying in comparision to the one church I know(I grew up in this church) and then I came to that last sentance and I must say with a large grin on my face.. was that sarcasm? :thumbsup:

I dont know much to say Butler, other than that I know how you feel in the sense of a church that you are very close with and have an amazing church family. I do'nt go to a mega church, and I pray I never do because I love this fellowship so much. However, we are going to be building soon and our pastor has warned us many times about churches that become all about the number, and not about the souls...

That is why so many churches have become corrupt because they take their eyes off scripture, take away specific names that would show that they stand strictly on the bible and put up "Community Church" or something of the sort.... and bring in godly music.. allow worldly dress, and surely dont care about lost souls. When my church builds, I can only pray that we stay in that family oriented, God centered sort of mind.

I also think it is pathetic that one can not reach the past easily. Even as a youth and having been directed to my youth pastor by the senior pastor, I can still "access" the man of God that preaches every sunday and he takes time to speak with us when we need it, no matter how big/small, great/sad, hard/easy the situation really is. I'm really sorry that your church is facing this sort of a matter ... it seems rather sad to me that one would loose that sense of close fellowship with fellow believers in your church....

Crystal

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  657
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  02/15/1959

Leonard, LOL, soooo true. You are a wise servant indeed! Best laugh i have had this week. :thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  559
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  07/29/1975

The question for me is this: IS the holy spirit in that church?? Is the church giving out the word? Are people spritially filled??

If not, then one or two things need to happen.

Someone needs to be in charge and give people the word they need.

or

Its time to move on.

If we are not teaching and depending on someone else who is Human and will fall ect. then we are not relying much on anything.

WE need God and his word, and his spiritally given gifts ect. We need meat! If we are not attempting give, its harder to get. Because we cannot depend on man to provide this. Fellowship is somethng we are selves can also handle. Invite them to your home, or have meetings set up by you at the church in groups. By Age, or clubs ect.

Do not wait for others, because it will only lag behind.

God is there, and if no one helps you to get to him, then we must get him ourselves and help others in the process.

• Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  640
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

nastybutler,

i have experienced that samething in the mega church and a couple of the smaller churches. what i think at this point is, if you are not being fed spiritually in this church and you see it becoming a cult of the preacher or preachers, or some type of apostasy, then perhaps it is time to look for another church that studies and teaches the true word of God, and does so with humility. one that loves the sinner and stands up against sin, no matter what society thinks. if there is not a church close enough that believes in and teaches the true word of God, maybe someone should start one. not just because there is a disagreement between the pastor and parishioners, but let it be because as the church has grown, the pastor has allowed the sin of pride to lead him astray and he in turn is leading the church astray, or he is not leading the church in the ways of the Lord Jesus, but rather has drifted into the ways of man, and is teaching a different gospel.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  15
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  03/05/1976

I would recommend that you to find another church.

If you are uncomfortable in that enviroment (I know I would be).

I personally prefer a church where I can love all of my siblings in Christ.

How can I do that when I can't remember 1000 names, I could care

for them as a group.. but not as family.

The Spirit's presence in paramount though.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I am so sad to hear that the Purpose Driven/mega-church trend has stretched across the seas.. but it doesn't suprise me. Well Nastybutler unfortunately I was in the place you are right now about 2 1/2 years ago. My husband and I attended an Assembly of God church for 12 years, the only church family we ever had. The Lord actually saved us both in this very church.. it was a medium sized, bible believing, Holy Spirit led (NOT DRIVEN) body. I started noticing little things a first that just didn't set right with my spirit, but I just overlooked them, thought maybe I was nitpicking. But one thing led to another and before we knew it our "church" was so programmed and the Holy Spirit was NOT invited anymore... Matter of fact had He shown up, probably would have made more than a few who were running things very upset... No more sin, hell, cross, blood..that all is too offensive to the "unchurched"!!! Do not be deceived my friend, it IS all about numbers. You are right to discern that something is not right. After much prayer and research and study of Gods Word we realized that we needed to have a talk with our pastor. He called us and him and I talked on three different occasions, and we shared our concerns as far as the Biblical things go.. and we were told that we would "probably be happier somewhere else".. after 12 yrs. of being faithful to the Lord, serving Him in that body, being a part of that family, our pastor was more willing to be rid of those of us who were trying to "earnestly contend for the faith that was once delivered to the saints" so that he could have a megachurch... Keep on contending nastybutler, you will be cast off as a "resister", "old fashioned" , and a troublemaker... But after having done all you can do just stand... I'll be praying for you in your battle....

• Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

There are probably about 200 hundred people who think of me as their pastor and probably a few more who would respect my position and would be offended if I didn't recognize them in public. I was thinking the other day as I was stopped by a couple of people at Walmart for conversation, I wonder how Rick Warren would respond to a situation like Walmart. "Be kind to everybody, you might be their pastor!" :thumbsup:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  86
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  09/28/1982

Thanks Luv2prayzhymn for your response and thanks to everyone else as well!

It funny that you talk about the purpose driven life cause that seems to be the book of the year (or years) at my church. Every little thing we do is inspired by this Rick Warren fellow. I dont even know who he is! By the replies from the posters I take it he isnt very well liked in the states.

Who exactly is Rick Warren and why is he causing such a stir?