• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  30
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/18/1938

STOP TRYING TO INTERPRET THE BIBLE. THAT'S WHY THERE ARE SO MANY DENOMINATIONS. OPINIONS ARE NOT OKAY WHEN IT COMES TO GODS WORD. IF THE HOLY SPIRIT IS NOT GIVING YOU MEANING OF THE SCRIPTURES, YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND THEM.

REVEREND WILLIAM BAKER

This is yet another area of confusion. You instruct others not to interpret scripture, yet you do. What is your justification for the apparent right for you to interpret scripture and it is not permissible for others to do so?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  91
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  01/24/1959

And something they did not mention. I remember a quote saying that "theology is not a parlor game, but analogous to rock climbing--certain cliffs and routes are too difficult for the inexperienced, whose ill-advised traverse often leads to tragedy."

Amen. All interpretations are not equal. While the great teachers of the Bible in the history of the church are neither inerrant nor infallable, their wisdom and abilities are of great value to all and we dismiss them to our folly. Discarding history for the latest fads has become too prevalent this day.

sw

I can't agree with this idea, although I have heard it before. We have been promised as believers from Jesus own words that the holy spirit will lead us into all truth. It may take time, it may take study, it may take prayer, it may take something beyond anything I can think of, but if we trust the Lord and come to Him believing then He will be faithful to His word and reveal His truth to us. We don't need to have degrees in biblical theology to understand what the Lord says to us in His word, we need faith that He will do what He said He will do. As for me I believe.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  373
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  12/24/1965

I interpret these posts to mean you all want a ham and cheese on wheat toast with a large glass of goat milk.

I interpret these posts to mean you all want a ham and cheese on wheat toast with a large glass of goat milk.

:24: :24: :24:

______

___

Thirsty

O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is; Psalms 63:1

Hungry

Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. Mathew 5:26

Child Of The Living God

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. Psalms 42:1

• 1 month later...

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  22

Please do forgive me if this has already been said. I tried to read all background on this thread but it would take days and days and days!!!!! There should be a limit on length so that comments aren't repeated due to the abhorable length precluding being properly informed of previous posts. I really would like to extend my respect to all previous posts by reading them but I just don't have the time. I thought maybe I should just leave this thread alone due to the unavailability of time to read all previous contributions but I have chosen to contribute anyway.

I do agree with the literal interpretation of God's Word and its valuable application to our life today and tomorrow (2 Tim 3:16) but I would like to say that: ((1)) Even though it may appear to say one thing, it is a "Living" and "Active" Word (Heb 4:12) and remembering "the Word became flesh" in reference to Jesus in John 1 helps to grasp this. Another way is to think about how many times you have read a particular section of God's Word through the years and each time the spirit gave a different message to your heart so growth would continue, and the other thing is ((2)) Personally, I have found "Thompson's Chain Reference Bible" very helpful in ascertaining meaning of unclear verses or sections of God's Word. It gives you relative verses from the totality of God's Word so a deeper and fuller meaning and context may be derived.

• 2 months later...

• Content Count:  3
  • Birthday:  04/05/1975

Given the recent discussions regarding the future of Israel and the meaning of OT prophecies, I thought it would be helpful to list some basics of determining meaning. I obtained these from:

"The Navigator Bible Studies Handbook"

General Principles

1. As you study, work knowing that the Bible is authoritative

2. Let the Bible interpret itself (Scripture explains Scripture).

3. The Holy Spirit�s illumination is a prerequisite for understanding - as is a cleansed life, and willingness to obey

4. Interpret your feelings and experiences in light of the Word.

5. Be careful how you apply Biblical examples. Does the fact that Judas� replacement was chosen by lots mean that we should choose our pastors that way?

6. Bible study should be done for application, not just an increase in knowledge. Application must be in line with the single meaning of the passage.

7. The church does not determine what the Bible teaches; the Bible determines what the church teaches.

8. Do not be presumptuous in claiming Biblical promises

Grammatical Principles

1. Texts have only one meaning and should be taken literally

2. Interpret words by their meaning in the time they were written, not how they are used today.

3. Interpret words in relation to their context and use in the sentence

4. When an inanitmate object is used to describe a living being, that statement may be said to be figurative

5. When life or action are attributed to an inanimate object, that statement may be interpreted figuratively

6. When an expression is out of character with the thing being descirbed, that statement may be seen as figurative

7. When interpreting a parable, only make applications from the principal parts and figures.

8. Interpret prophetic books literally unless the context demands a symbolic interpretation.

Historical Principles

1. Since the Bible is a historical book, it must be understood in its historical context

2. Both the Old and New Testaments are essential in understanding God�s full counsel.

3. Historical events become symbols of spiritual truth only when scripture says they should be.

Theological Principles

1. A text must be understood grammatically before it can be understood theologically

2. A doctrine is not biblical unless it includes all that the scriptures have to say about that doctrine.

3. When doctrines taught in scripture appear to contradict one another, accept both with the understanding that they will both resolve to a higher unity (election and free-will).

4. If a passage implies a truth, it may only be considered Biblical if related passages support the truth (Hebrews 6).

Erich, Interesting comments. I agree with all but one. The point you stated:1. Texts have only one meaning and should be taken literally.

I personally study with The Companion Bible KJV, Strong's Concordance and Smith's Bible Dictionary for name meanings. I have found that if you research the words given in the KJV back to the original meanings from the manuscripts you get a deeper meaning.In the original 1611 authorized version the translators wrote and said they knew they made mistakes but did the best they could. For example Acts 12:4 the word "Easter" is not in the original manuscripts. The greek word is Pascha(meaning Passover) as also documented in 1 Cor 5:7"...For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:"

Also remember that Paul taught on 3 levels as well as stated in Acts 9:15 since he was God's chosen vessel to 3 different groups.

If this theory would be true, the book of Revelation would never make sense. Our lamb( Rev 7:10) is Jesus Christ not an animal.

That does not mean they have more than one meaning. They have only one meaning, but many applications

What difference are you applying to "meaning' and "applications"?

Allegorical interpretation is biblical, bringing both a literal and allegorical meaning to the text as shown by Paul here.

Galatians 4:24-31

"24 Which things are an allegory : for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.

25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.

26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.

27 For it is written , Rejoice , thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry , thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband.

28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.

29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.

30 Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.

31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free."

Guest shiloh357

Given the recent discussions regarding the future of Israel and the meaning of OT prophecies, I thought it would be helpful to list some basics of determining meaning. I obtained these from:

General Principles

3. The Holy Spirit�s illumination is a prerequisite for understanding - as is a cleansed life, and willingness to obey

5. Be careful how you apply Biblical examples. Does the fact that Judas� replacement was chosen by lots mean that we should choose our pastors that way?

6. Bible study should be done for application, not just an increase in knowledge. Application must be in line with the single meaning of the passage.

7. The church does not determine what the Bible teaches; the Bible determines what the church teaches.

Grammatical Principles

2. Interpret words by their meaning in the time they were written, not how they are used today.

4. When an inanitmate object is used to describe a living being, that statement may be said to be figurative

5. When life or action are attributed to an inanimate object, that statement may be interpreted figuratively

6. When an expression is out of character with the thing being descirbed, that statement may be seen as figurative

7. When interpreting a parable, only make applications from the principal parts and figures.

8. Interpret prophetic books literally unless the context demands a symbolic interpretation.

Historical Principles

1. Since the Bible is a historical book, it must be understood in its historical context

2. Both the Old and New Testaments are essential in understanding God�s full counsel.

3. Historical events become symbols of spiritual truth only when scripture says they should be.

Theological Principles

1. A text must be understood grammatically before it can be understood theologically

2. A doctrine is not biblical unless it includes all that the scriptures have to say about that doctrine.

3. When doctrines taught in scripture appear to contradict one another, accept both with the understanding that they will both resolve to a higher unity (election and free-will).

4. If a passage implies a truth, it may only be considered Biblical if related passages support the truth (Hebrews 6).

Erich, Interesting comments. I agree with all but one. The point you stated:1. Texts have only one meaning and should be taken literally.

I personally study with The Companion Bible KJV, Strong's Concordance and Smith's Bible Dictionary for name meanings. I have found that if you research the words given in the KJV back to the original meanings from the manuscripts you get a deeper meaning.In the original 1611 authorized version the translators wrote and said they knew they made mistakes but did the best they could. For example Acts 12:4 the word "Easter" is not in the original manuscripts. The greek word is Pascha(meaning Passover) as also documented in 1 Cor 5:7"...For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:"

Also remember that Paul taught on 3 levels as well as stated in Acts 9:15 since he was God's chosen vessel to 3 different groups.

If this theory would be true, the book of Revelation would never make sense. Our lamb( Rev 7:10) is Jesus Christ not an animal.

That does not mean they have more than one meaning. They have only one meaning, but many applications

Allegorical interpretation is biblical, bringing both a literal and allegorical meaning to the text as shown by Paul here.

"24 Which things are an allegory : for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.

25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.

27 For it is written , Rejoice , thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry , thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband.

29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.

30 Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.

An allegory is not an interpretation. Allegory as demonsrated above in Gal. 4 is an attempt at an illustration. Paul is not attempting to interpret Scripture in his allegory. He is drawing an illustraion to make a didactic point.

The "interpretation" or meaning of the passage must be understood in the light of the object the author has in view. There is only ONE interpretation of any given passage, though various applications can be made. Even then, applications cannot contradict the text or any doctrine of Scripture.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  30
  • Birthday:  08/18/1938

An allegory is not an interpretation. Allegory as demonsrated above in Gal. 4 is an attempt at an illustration. Paul is not attempting to interpret Scripture in his allegory. He is drawing an illustraion to make a didactic point.

The "interpretation" or meaning of the passage must be understood in the light of the object the author has in view. There is only ONE interpretation of any given passage, though various applications can be made. Even then, applications cannot contradict the text or any doctrine of Scripture.

Excellent call.

• Content Count:  3
  • Birthday:  04/05/1975

General Principles

Grammatical Principles

Historical Principles

Theological Principles

Okay, so what you are saying is All scripture is literal. The interpretations can vary in style,(symbol, allegory, etc.) but the interpretation can never contradict the literal meaning. Think I got it.