cupajoy

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  49
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

What bible do you read and why do you read this particular bible? I read the King James Version of The Holy Bible, because it was ordered by King James to have people to interprete it for his knowledge, not for religious reasons. That is why I think it comes the closest in translation. And do you use the Bible as a whole or just hold tight to certain scriptures? I guess just reading some of the other threads has me wondering, I feel I should look at all views and then wieght them out against the Bible to see if that is how I should line up my life. I want to be a willing vessel for God, and do all I can to honor him not myself. And being that I am human and by nature am prone to mistakes. I am seeking out you're imput. thanks

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

While I grew up on the KJV and learned so much and received my salvation by the influence of the KJV, I have since found that the NKJV and the NIV are both wonderful in that they are more easily readable and understandable. I prefer a more modern english translation because I find that when witnessing, people get a better grasp of what you are reciting and showing them.

Why would I want to show a non-believer whom I may hardly know a bible written in a form of the language we do not use? I would want it to be easily grasped by today's non-believer!

When I study, I add The Message to give me another fresh inspiration about the meaning of some passages.

To these I add concordances and commentaries.

Blessings! :blink:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  122
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

While I grew up on the KJV and learned so much and received my salvation by the influence of the KJV, I have since found that the NKJV and the NIV are both wonderful in that they are more easily readable and understandable. I prefer a more modern english translation because I find that when witnessing, people get a better grasp of what you are reciting and showing them.

Why would I want to show a non-believer whom I may hardly know a bible written in a form of the language we do not use? I would want it to be easily grasped by today's non-believer!

When I study, I add The Message to give me another fresh inspiration about the meaning of some passages.

To these I add concordances and commentaries.

Blessings! :blink:

I read The New American Bible(St. Joseph edition).

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  125
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

My friend I read the kjv it was given to me at Christmas time by my brother in law. It is the first bible I ever owned. I still have it, it is all beat up and rather raggy looking but I sstill find it a great deal of comfort. It also has a Christian outline in it that breaks down many of the truths that are discussed on these boards. But the truth of matter is, unless you ask God for His Help it doesn"t matter what bible you use. You will still not understand. I always encourage any of my friends when we are taking a bible lesson first to pray to God and ask for His Help. After all Since He wrote it,who better to explain it. Love in Christ littlejoe

I also use concordences and comentaries, I find them very insightful I also use the Strong's dictionary. I don't have the big strong's dictionary yet I'm not sure of it's full name but it has a lot more to it than mine. I want to be so full of the Lord's word that it will (like the Bible says) pour out of me as living water. The other night i woke up to "listen and absorb but not like a sponge." I thought a sponge is absorbent right , then a little more thought , it can be squeezed out dry. I don't want to be dry. I want to stay hungry for more of God he is so wonderful and there is sooo much to learn. thanks

Edited by cupajoy

pray is always a must for me. There has been so much revealed and so much more to be revealed thanks

Edited by cupajoy

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  277
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

I like KJV and ESV (when I can't understand KJV). Most discussions such as this will turn into a debate about what text a Bible is based on. Supposedly, the KJV was translated from a different text (Received text I think) from the newer versions, but I don't know for sure. :blink:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

KJV and ESV... :24::blink:

I love the KJV and am familiar with the language and love it..

I use the ESV for a more modern translation because it is closest to what the KJV actually says...

I will also read the Amplified sometimes....pretty wordy... :24:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  454
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  04/19/1985

Literal Translation

• Group:  Diamond Member