IGNORED

Non-cessationist Calvinists

7cworldwide

Guest Biblicist

Hello all,

If I may, I'd like to interject something here. Bible.org has a fantastic session on Free Will. All different views on Free Will are explained. It's like a college course or seminary. Wonderful.

Anyway, there free will is explained, abbreviated here of course, Adam and Eve had free will, they chose not to obey God. Since then no man has had free will to accept or reject Christ. AFTER salvation our free will is restored and we have the choice to live for him or not! Remembering that children of God will be punished for disobedience.

This made total sense to me. Considering what I have read and studied in God's word. Therefore, BOTH beliefs are true. God's will is perfect.

In His Mighty Grip,

Bib

:thumbsup:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  94
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/13/1978

I don't have any other doctrinal questions right now. I do wonder though, are you part of a Primitive Baptist Church, and are they spirit filled?

No. I attend a non-Calvinist, non-denominational church (the one I've been in all my life) at the moment. The church is open to the operation of the gifts, as am I.

I hope to find (or start) a church in my area that is both Reformed and non-cessationist where the gifts are concerned.

Blessings,

Hello all,

If I may, I'd like to interject something here. Bible.org has a fantastic session on Free Will. All different views on Free Will are explained. It's like a college course or seminary. Wonderful.

Anyway, there free will is explained, abbreviated here of course, Adam and Eve had free will, they chose not to obey God. Since then no man has had free will to accept or reject Christ. AFTER salvation our free will is restored and we have the choice to live for him or not! Remembering that children of God will be punished for disobedience.

This made total sense to me. Considering what I have read and studied in God's word. Therefore, BOTH beliefs are true. God's will is perfect.

In His Mighty Grip,

Bib

:thumbsup:

Check out this chart: http://monergism.com/thethreshold/articles...ll.html#history

There are links to many good articles on free will on this page, too.

Blessings,

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  3,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  05/16/1962

Very interesting topic here.

I've done some extensive research in the writings of Calvin, :cool: and I don't see anything in there about holy spirit baptism or speaking in tongues.

So how can a person choose whether to be a cessationist, if Calvin didn't emphasize it?

Steve

Very interesting topic here.

I've done some extensive research in the writings of Calvin, :) and I don't see anything in there about holy spirit baptism or speaking in tongues.

So how can a person choose whether to be a cessationist, if Calvin didn't emphasize it?

Steve

LOL :wub:

Good observation, Steve. Since Calvinism deals primarily with soteriology (though it extends to several other areas such as Theology Proper and anthropology), it's somewhat understandable that he did not deeply address the specific pneumatological issue of the charismata. Calvin's is not a true systematic theology as we see from theologians today.

It is interesting to note that the Huguenots (early French Calvinists) exhibited the gift of tongues.

Shalom,

Lane

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,782
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1

But why emphasis a Pentecostal-charismatic "heavenly gibberish" when ALL biblical "tongues" (better, languages) are known, understood, national, earthly dialects as clearly outlined by the twelve national language-groupings in the classic Acts Chapter Two portion of Holy Writ? Jehovah God well understands prayer, praise & worship in any of ten thousand dialects of Planet Earth, whether Greek, Hebrew, Arabic, Latin, whatever, does he not?

http://arthurdurnan.freeyellow.com

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  3,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  05/16/1962

But why emphasis a Pentecostal-charismatic "heavenly gibberish" when ALL biblical "tongues" (better, languages) are known, understood, national, earthly dialects

Good question.

I think part of the answer lies in a recent trend in Central/South America. Charismatic/Pentecostal ministries are popping up in Catholic churches all over that area, even though it contradicts long-established doctrine, particularly from Augustine. So if you've lived a lifetime attending a boring Mass, and then you find out that worshipping God can be fun and exciting, then surely it would be attractive.

Steve

• Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,782
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1

But why emphasis a Pentecostal-charismatic "heavenly gibberish" when ALL biblical "tongues" (better, languages) are known, understood, national, earthly dialects

Good question.

I think part of the answer lies in a recent trend in Central/South America. Charismatic/Pentecostal ministries are popping up in Catholic churches all over that area, even though it contradicts long-established doctrine, particularly from Augustine. So if you've lived a lifetime attending a boring Mass, and then you find out that worshipping God can be fun and exciting, then surely it would be attractive.

Steve

Okay, Steve, alright, I get it. Superficiality before substance. Experimentation before expressed Scripture. Momentum before rationale. Hmm.

P.S. Have a good evening in the Golden State!

But why emphasis a Pentecostal-charismatic "heavenly gibberish" when ALL biblical "tongues" (better, languages) are known, understood, national, earthly dialects as clearly outlined by the twelve national language-groupings in the classic Acts Chapter Two portion of Holy Writ? Jehovah God well understands prayer, praise & worship in any of ten thousand dialects of Planet Earth, whether Greek, Hebrew, Arabic, Latin, whatever, does he not?

Arthur,

Since I don't think your sarcasm and your condescension deserves its own comprehensive response, I will direct you to read my thoughts on this particular subject here: http://www.graceforums.com/topic.php?id=237#p1331

Take it or leave it...

Shalom,

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  482
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  08/02/1991

One doesn't quite agree with you so one is kindly, personally, what, denounced? Denunciation is hardly discussion. One supposes in view of your non-response, you earnestly think that "divine mumbo-jumbo" such as prou pray praddey, pa palassate pa pau pu pe, teli terattate taw, terrei te te-te-te, vole virte vum, elee lete leele luto, singe surge, surge singe, imba imba imba" is Christian "mother-tongue," so to speak, rather than unintelligible jibber-jabber? Incredulous. One point is quite clear: it's certainly not based on plain biblical declarations concerning, real, national, earthly dialects. Surely you must be aware that the very word, "tongue" refers to meaningful human speech. The very word "interpretation" (used seven times in 1 Cor.12-14) in such a context refers to translation of intelligible human languages. Modern glossolalia (since 1901) out of Azusa, California, can be rejected on this very basis alone.

amen!