OneAccord

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,587
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

This verse popped out at me in my morning Bible study, and I am real interested in comentaries and interpretations of this one.

Ephesians 3:10

.............to the intent that now the manifold wisdom of God might be made known by the church to the principalities and powers in the heavenly places.......

Paul has been discussing the mystery that had been hidden in God from the beginning of the ages.. Here we see Him giving an idea of the purpose of the mystery (to the intent that the manifold wisodm of God might be made known).

Earlier in Ephesians 1:10, Paul says of the mystery of the will of God that in the dispensation of the fullness of the times (the climax of the ages) He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven and which are on earth--in Him.

Most agree that the mystery is the church or church age.

Here in the verse being studied we see that the intent of this mystery or church age is to make the manifold wisdom of God known by the church to the principalites and powers in the heavenly places.

This sounds to me like the church is to be the revelation of God's wisdom to the heavenly principalities and powers, which must be angelic beings, and according to Eph 6:12 are not only angelic beings but fallen angels-rulers of the darkness of this age, spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

This is a pretty heavy verse and a serious call to attention. I'd love to hear some thoughts on this. Blessings.

Well here's one commentary:

(Coffman Commentary)

Verse 10

To the intent that now unto the principalities and the powers in the heavenly places might be made known through the church the manifold wisdom of God.

The fact of the gospel's promulgation upon earth being, in some manner, for the purpose of "making known" to "principalities and powers in the heavenly places" God's manifold wisdom has not been satisfactorily explained; at least, this student of the Scriptures has not seen any satisfactory explanation of it. We shall take a look at some of the teachings people have allegedly found in this verse:

John Locke: The governments and powers in the heavenly places are the Jewish religious leaders.

MacKnight: They are the different orders of the angels in heaven. F25

Calvin, Hodge, Grosheide and Lenski thought this refers to the good angels in heaven. F26

A. T. Robertson understood the reference as to "evil powers or fallen angels, exclusively. F27

Such variety of opinions suggests that the true interpretation might lie in a different direction altogether. In Eph. 3:9, as already noted, Paul gave the purpose of gospel preaching to be that of making "all men see." Eph. 3:10 could be nothing more than a dramatic, rhetorical burst of eloquent hyperbole, having much the same meaning as if he had written:

We shall shout the gospel message to the highest heavens and extol the glory of the church as the demonstration of God's manifold wisdom to the highest beings in the universe!

This view has one thing in common with those already cited - it may be wrong; but at least it makes as much sense as anything else at hand on the subject. Certainly the whole subject of the impact of the gospel of Christ upon creations above and beyond our own human creation, of which so little is known, and concerning which God has not given us very much information, lies totally beyond the exploration projected for this series of commentaries.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

Hello OA :il:

Here in the verse being studied we see that the intent of this mystery or church age is to make the manifold wisdom of God known by the church to the principalites and powers in the heavenly places.

This sounds to me like the church is to be the revelation of God's wisdom to the heavenly principalities and powers, which must be angelic beings, and according to Eph 6:12 are not only angelic beings but fallen angels-rulers of the darkness of this age, spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

I believe we, the body of the church, is Gods reply to the challenge of satan. Through us He demonstrates His justification to the angels and reveals satans treachery.

I would like to express a thought that has been growing in me for a while now that might or might not be true.

Maybe Gods creation of the physical universe and us was in response to satan challenge to Gods authority? Maybe God created the universe and us as a way of catching satan in his own cunning?

Maybe God allowed satan to sabotage adam and eve to create a situation that lead to the sacrafice of the Messiah Jesus thereby demonstrating His loving and righteous character?

I suppose the question must be asked. Why did God create the universe and put us in it anyway? I believe one day we will know :)

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Content Count:  4,031
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  5

I believe that Ephesians3:10 is addressing a greater mystery that just the church. It is a mystery that is being made known via the establishment of the Church.

• 1Ti 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

1Pe 1:12 Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.

One would do well to ask what was God

Ephesians 3:10

.............to the intent that now the manifold wisdom of God might be made known by the church to the principalities and powers in the heavenly places.......

I think that we are "exhibit A" in the trial of Lucifer on Judgement Day.

Blessed are those who have not seen Him yet believe.

I am impressed at the quality of the posts in response to this verse.

I think, esp. based on Blindseekers exegeting, that the essence of this verse is that the entire church as a whole is witnessing not only here on earth but to the heavenly beings as well.

This is quite profound to meditate on.

How do you think we're doing???

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43

the entire church as a whole is witnessing not only here on earth but to the heavenly beings as well.

This is quite profound to meditate on.

How do you think we're doing???

Well I think Jesus has already provided all the evidence needed :wub: I think these past 2000 years has been about Gods patience.

Revelation 6

9 When He opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the testimony which they held. 10And they cried with a loud voice, saying, "How long, O Lord, holy and true, until You judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth?" 11Then a white robe was given to each of them; and it was said to them that they should rest a little while longer, until both the number of their fellow servants and their brethren, who would be killed as they were, was completed.

That

Guest idolsmasher
This sounds to me like the church is to be the revelation of God's wisdom to the heavenly principalities and powers,

Could that be the cloud of witnesses?

Hebrews 12:1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

Not only the angels but the departed as well.

Adstar I have often thought what you are thinking. I always come back to Job. 1:6 One day the angels came to present themselves before the Lord and Satan also came with them. It doesn't say bad angels, or fallen angels or the angels who revolted with Satan, it just says angels. I believe we are not only a light to the nations but to the angels in heaven and we are exibit A. Not only will God have in the end a race of humans He created who are obedient only to Him, but also He is showing the angels how pointless rebellion is because look at what He can do and look how mind boggling it all is.

One Accord, I'm not so sure I agree with the powers and principalities being fallen angels. Micheal is referred to as a chief, I guess I believe that God is also trying to win some of his angels back from Satan as well as those of us that has fallen. By this point in time alot of those angels would have to be really considering the huge mistake they made in the first place and I'm pretty confident God loves them as much as He loves the sinners down here.

Imagine the awe of the angelic hosts when heaven was opened up to us through Christ's sacrifice. The veil came down and even we can approach the throne of God. And their seeing and understanding how it all works together, how all these events here and there are brought together for God's purposes and in a perfect plan. Now that's something to be in awe of.

In Yeshua's love

Teri

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69

Exodus 17:15

And Moses built an altar and called its name, The-Lord-Is-My-Banner;

Ps 60:4 -

You have given a banner to those who fear You, That it may be displayed because of the truth. Selah

So 2:4 -

The Shulamite to the Daughters of Jerusalem He brought me to the banqueting house, And his banner over me was love.

Isa 5:26 -

He will lift up a banner to the nations from afar, And will whistle to them from the end of the earth; Surely they shall come with speed, swiftly.

Isa 11:10 -

"And in that day there shall be a Root of Jesse, Who shall stand as a banner to the people; For the Gentiles shall seek Him, And His resting place shall be glorious."

Isa 11:12 -

He will set up a banner for the nations, And will assemble the outcasts of Israel, And gather together the dispersed of Judah From the four corners of the earth.

Isa 13:2 -

"Lift up a banner on the high mountain, Raise your voice to them; Wave your hand, that they may enter the gates of the nobles.

Isa 18:3 -

All inhabitants of the world and dwellers on the earth: When he lifts up a banner on the mountains, you see it; And when he blows a trumpet, you hear it.

Isa 30:17 -

One thousand shall flee at the threat of one, At the threat of five you shall flee, Till you are left as a pole on top of a mountain And as a banner on a hill.

Isa 31:9 -

He shall cross over to his stronghold for fear, And his princes shall be afraid of the banner," Says the Lord, Whose fire is in Zion And whose furnace is in Jerusalem.

Isa 62:10 -

Go through, Go through the gates! Prepare the way for the people; Build up, Build up the highway! Take out the stones, Lift up a banner for the peoples!

Jer 51:27 -

Set up a banner in the land, Blow the trumpet among the nations! Prepare the nations against her, Call the kingdoms together against her: Ararat, Minni, and Ashkenaz. Appoint a general against her; Cause the horses to come up like the bristling locusts.

Zec 9:16 -

The Lord their God will save them in that day, As the flock of His people. For they shall be like the jewels of a crown, Lifted like a banner over His land--

In His Love,

Suzanne