IGNORED

The Covenants: Toward A Biblical Understanding

Guest shiloh357

Guest Secure in Christ

I look forward to reading the portion that outlines the Mosaic Covenant and how it relates to the New Covenant being that of Jesus Christ.

Guest shiloh357
I look forward to reading the portion that outlines the Mosaic Covenant and how it relates to the New Covenant being that of Jesus Christ.

It's on it's way!! :)

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  107
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Me too!

((((waiting))))

• 6 months later...

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  87

By Shiloh357

Introduction

I have found that it would be beneficial to begin a study on the covenants that appear in Scripture. Just as there are seven dispensations that provide natural divisions in the Bible, likewise there are seven major covenants that correspond to each of these dispensations.

Exodus 6:2 And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him, I am the LORD:

Exodus 6:3 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

Correct me if I'm wrong but:

Isn't the name Jehovah about God that keeps covenant? So the first covenant is the one made with Moses.

Exodus 6:3 says God was not known to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob by the name Jehovah.

That seems to indicate to me that God did not have a covenant with them; at least not in the same way that He had a covenant with Moses.

Edited by antiaging

Guest shiloh357

By Shiloh357

Introduction

I have found that it would be beneficial to begin a study on the covenants that appear in Scripture. Just as there are seven dispensations that provide natural divisions in the Bible, likewise there are seven major covenants that correspond to each of these dispensations.

Exodus 6:3 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

Isn't the name Jehovah about God that keeps covenant? So the first covenant is the one made with Moses.

Exodus 6:3 says God was not known to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob by the name Jehovah.

That seems to indicate to me that God did not have a covenant with them; at least not in the same way that He had a covenant with Moses.

The four letter Tetragrammaton YHVH (often pronounced Jehovah) is God's redemptive name. There is no "covenant keeping Name" as you suggest. Furthermore, for you to say that God did not make this Name known to them is not correct. Please note that in Genesis 15, Abraham uses this Name in reference to God and God uses this Name in talking to Abraham:

And Abram said, Lord GOD, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless, and the steward of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus? And Abram said, Behold, to me thou hast given no seed: and, lo, one born in my house is mine heir. And, behold, the word of the LORD came unto him, saying, This shall not be thine heir; but he that shall come forth out of thine own bowels shall be thine heir. And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be. And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness. And he said unto him, I am the LORD that brought thee out of Ur of the Chaldees, to give thee this land to inherit it. And he said, Lord GOD, whereby shall I know that I shall inherit it?

(Genesis 15:2-8)

I have only highlighted two places in that passage where the word YHVH (Jehovah) is used, but it is clear from this passage as others that this Name WAS known by the Patriarchs.

So then, what does Exodus 6:3 mean? It is referring to their knowledge with respect to the full efficacy of the Name, YHVH. In other words, it is the generation that was in slavery in Egypt that would know the Name YHVH in a way that the Patriarchs did not know it. Abraham received the promise from YHVH that his descendents would be set free from bondage, but full excersize of the power of that redemptive Name would not occur in his day, but would be seen and experienced by His descendents.

So, it does not mean that Abraham did not know about the Name YHVH. Also, you are incorrect with respect to the Covenant. God has a full and eternal covenant with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob which is still in force to this day, as it is referred to as an eternal covenant in Gen. 17:, 8-9.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

By Shiloh357

Introduction

The four letter Tetragrammaton YHVH (often pronounced Jehovah) is God's redemptive name. There is no "covenant keeping Name" as you suggest. Furthermore, for you to say that God did not make this Name known to them is not correct. Please note that in Genesis 15, Abraham uses this Name in reference to God and God uses this Name in talking to Abraham:

And Abram said, Lord GOD, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless, and the steward of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus? And Abram said, Behold, to me thou hast given no seed: and, lo, one born in my house is mine heir. And, behold, the word of the LORD came unto him, saying, This shall not be thine heir; but he that shall come forth out of thine own bowels shall be thine heir. And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be. And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness. And he said unto him, I am the LORD that brought thee out of Ur of the Chaldees, to give thee this land to inherit it. And he said, Lord GOD, whereby shall I know that I shall inherit it?

(Genesis 15:2-8)

I have only highlighted two places in that passage where the word YHVH (Jehovah) is used, but it is clear from this passage as others that this Name WAS known by the Patriarchs.

So then, what does Exodus 6:3 mean? It is referring to their knowledge with respect to the full efficacy of the Name, YHVH. In other words, it is the generation that was in slavery in Egypt that would know the Name YHVH in a way that the Patriarchs did not know it. Abraham received the promise from YHVH that his descendents would be set free from bondage, but full excersize of the power of that redemptive Name would not occur in his day, but would be seen and experienced by His descendents.

So, it does not mean that Abraham did not know about the Name YHVH. Also, you are incorrect with respect to the Covenant. God has a full and eternal covenant with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob which is still in force to this day, as it is referred to as an eternal covenant in Gen. 17:, 8-9.

i don't know about a covenant-keeping name but antiaging is quite right that to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob He was known as God Almighty (in the English). not a personal God yet, but the first step in changing their ideas of the ancient gods of egypt.

Guest shiloh357
i don't know about a covenant-keeping name but antiaging is quite right that to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob He was known as God Almighty (in the English). not a personal God yet, but the first step in changing their ideas of the ancient gods of egypt.

No, antiaging was completely wrong. Antiaging said that God was not known to the Patriarchs as YHVH (Jevohah) and I proved from Genesis 15, that his position was incorrect.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

No, antiaging was completely wrong. Antiaging said that God was not known to the Patriarchs as YHVH (Jevohah) and I proved from Genesis 15, that his position was incorrect.

oh i see - it is clear from gen 15 - God does declare Himself I AM.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  87

Moses and Jesus are mediators of two different covenants. The Old covenant and the new covenant. Both of those covenants have written rules and codes of conduct that are supposed to be followed. From what I see of the covenant with Abraham, he was supposed to believe God and circumcise his children. Abraham does not appear to be a mediator of a covenant in the same sense that Moses and Jesus are. The covenant with Abraham does not involve written laws and rules like the Old covenant and New covenant do.

Would you comment on this?

Guest shiloh357

Moses and Jesus are mediators of two different covenants. The Old covenant and the new covenant. Both of those covenants have written rules and codes of conduct that are supposed to be followed. From what I see of the covenant with Abraham, he was supposed to believe God and circumcise his children. Abraham does not appear to be a mediator of a covenant in the same sense that Moses and Jesus are. The covenant with Abraham does not involve written laws and rules like the Old covenant and New covenant do.

Would you comment on this?

For one thing the Bible does not record Moses as a mediator of any convenant, so I am not sure where you got that idea. Furthermore, your point of above is irrelevant to the issue you raised prior. Thirdly, Abraham's covenant is called an "eternal covenant" by God. "Eternal means "eternal." That covenant is still in force. The Abrahamic Covenant does not have a human mediator in that the Abrahamic covenant was from start to finish a complete work of God. It does not rely on Abraham or anyone else for its continued existance and fullfillment.