• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  84
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/17/1975

I always wanted to ask this, but dint know whom to ask..What is the relevance of the 'sign of the cross'(In the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the H.S)? ...Why is this tradition still so important in some mainstream(catholic and orthodox) churches? How did it originate?

I hope I get some answers to this :emot-giggle: ....God Bless!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

I've gotta run to work, so I don't have time to type out all my thoughts and an explanation on it, but here's a link I hope you find helpful :emot-giggle:

• Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,663
  • Content Per Day:  0.53

Hi Metro,

" We have positive evidence in the early Fathers that such a practice was familiar to Christians in the second century. "In all our travels and movements", says Tertullian (De cor. Mil., iii), "in all our coming in and going out, in putting of our shoes, at the bath, at the table, in lighting our candles, in lying down, in sitting down, whatever employment occupieth us, we mark our foreheads with the sign of the cross". (Catholic Encyclopedia)

It appears this is how the Sign of the Cross had it's beginning....as a small cross on the forehead. Thru the ages, it developed into the larger Sign of the Cross used today---touching the forehead, chest & shoulders.

It is an outward sign of devotion to Christ. The words, "In the Name of the Father, etc" are a means to dedicate whatever follows to God.

The Sign of the Cross also commemorates Baptism. It is a "mini" (if you will) re-dedication of ourself to Christ and a recognition that we live and move in Him, for the glory of the Father, thru the power of the Spirit.

All in all it is a beautiful reminder of the presence of God in every detail of our lives.

Peace,

Fiosh

:b:

Guest Biblicist
Hi Metro,

" We have positive evidence in the early Fathers that such a practice was familiar to Christians in the second century. "In all our travels and movements", says Tertullian (De cor. Mil., iii), "in all our coming in and going out, in putting of our shoes, at the bath, at the table, in lighting our candles, in lying down, in sitting down, whatever employment occupieth us, we mark our foreheads with the sign of the cross". (Catholic Encyclopedia)

It appears this is how the Sign of the Cross had it's beginning....as a small cross on the forehead. Thru the ages, it developed into the larger Sign of the Cross used today---touching the forehead, chest & shoulders.

It is an outward sign of devotion to Christ. The words, "In the Name of the Father, etc" are a means to dedicate whatever follows to God.

The Sign of the Cross also commemorates Baptism. It is a "mini" (if you will) re-dedication of ourself to Christ and a recognition that we live and move in Him, for the glory of the Father, thru the power of the Spirit.

All in all it is a beautiful reminder of the presence of God in every detail of our lives.

Peace,

Fiosh

:24:

That's beautiful Fiosh. :thumbsup:

I don't understand why other religions don't do it. I was raised Baptist and we don't do that when we pray. Just fold the hands, bow the head and pray. I know there are other denominations that don't do it either. I wonder why. It's not in the Bible is it? Mostly, when the Bible talks about prayer, it references falling on our face, does it not? Hmmm, I'm gonna have to look that up.

My sister worked in a Catholic school as a teacher's aide when she was younger [loooooong time ago]. She told us about one of the Nuns that tried to force a tearful little girl to cross herself, and the girl kept saying "We don't do this at home." Is it really that important? :thumbsup:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  1,013
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

I still do it & probably will always do it.

• Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,782
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1

Hi, Metro indeed! The "sign of the cross" is, for those of us who live by Holy Scripture as opposed to the traditions of man, pure poppycock. The ACTUAL cross of Christ - or any hand-motions regarding its shape or material - has ZIP to do with the fact of the Savior's efficacious & all-atoning sacrifice on that gibbet of shame. It's only the cross-WORK of Christ, the world's only Savior, which demands our attention & allegiance today. Not the WOOD, only the WORK! Not the HAND-SIGNALS by man, only the HOLY SACRIFICE by Christ. Never mind what various CHURCH TRADITIONS might wish for you; stay with the HOLY SCRIPTURE which is able to "make thee wise unto salvation."

"But God commendeth His love toward us in that, while we were yet sinners, CHRIST DIED FOR US." (Romans 5:8). There it is! THAT says it all! The WORK, never the WOOD or the HAND-SIGN! Amen & Amen! Thank You, Lord Jesus, for making it so plain!

http://arthurdurnan.freeyellow.com

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

I always wanted to ask this, but dint know whom to ask..What is the relevance of the 'sign of the cross'(In the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the H.S)? ...Why is this tradition still so important in some mainstream(catholic and orthodox) churches? How did it originate?

I hope I get some answers to this :whistling: ....God Bless!!

These types of things are simply inventions of the religious. It has become important only in the eyes of those who are religious. God calls us to come away from religiosity and be free from such encumbrances. We do not require anything to worship Him but our hearts and hands lifted high.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,227
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  08/19/1964

Hi Metro,

Peace,

Fiosh

:24:

That's beautiful Fiosh. :whistling:

I don't understand why other religions don't do it.

They don't because it has been branded as a Catholic "thing", and many churches preach that everything Catholic is evil, therfore they will fervently reject it no matter what.

Guest Biblicist
They don't because it has been branded as a Catholic "thing", and many churches preach that everything Catholic is evil, therfore they will fervently reject it no matter what.

That is very sad. Although, growing up with a Catholic father, I know he was raised with the same claims. My father's mother even went so far as to tell him that he would go to hell to believe or practice anything else. The children in our neighborhood were also taught that. Even attending Vacation Bible School at our church over the summer was considered "sin", and caused the need for confession. To even set foot in our church was a sin. We ended up having Back Yard Bible Clubs and they were all allowed to come. Same teachings, different location. My friend, a little catholic girl, came to our church and got saved. When she told her mother that she had a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, she was taken to confession and forbidden to ever come to our church again.

At the church I grew up in, they didn't preach that Catholics or their practices were evil. When we learned about Cults, Catholics never even came up. We learned the proper way to worship that is all. I do know it is a Catholic "thing", but I was never taught it was wrong, just different.