• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  83
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/11/1986

Was Adam and Eve married?

They didnt apply for a marriage license or see a judge or have a preacher perform a ceremony.

They didnt exchange rings or have a wedding.

They didnt do anything that we do now days to be considered married.

When did all these traditions start?

Who started them?

Why cant we just vow to each other to be faithful and pray for God to bless our union?

Wouldnt they still be a married?

Just wondering.

well this was also before the fall and Adam and Eve had no sin nature. So they didn't need to obey a law of marrege because their hearts were already purefied by God. God writes the law after the fall as a sort of guide to keep us from falling away and marrege is part of that law. Adam and Eve didn't need that law because they were perfect beings. we do though.... we need that law because we are far from perfect and anyone who disagrees is blind.

What LAW of marriage?

I would go into OT law but Jesus says it so much better.

Matthew 19:3-8 (New International Version)

3Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?"

4"Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,'[a] 5and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'? 6So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."

7"Why then," they asked, "did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?"

8Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning.

and I will take the traditional view of "no sex before marriage" as well.... as Paul addresses very clearly in his epistles. All of the problems with broken families and sexual diseases are caused by not following this simple instruction. Like I said....... we are blind if we think we are OK without the law.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

They didnt apply for a marriage license or see a judge or have a preacher perform a ceremony.

Who started them?

Why cant we just vow to each other to be faithful and pray for God to bless our union?

Just wondering.

well this was also before the fall and Adam and Eve had no sin nature. So they didn't need to obey a law of marrege because their hearts were already purefied by God. God writes the law after the fall as a sort of guide to keep us from falling away and marrege is part of that law. Adam and Eve didn't need that law because they were perfect beings. we do though.... we need that law because we are far from perfect and anyone who disagrees is blind.

What LAW of marriage?

3Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?"

4"Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,'[a] 5and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'? 6So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."

7"Why then," they asked, "did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?"

8Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning.

and I will take the traditional view of "no sex before marriage" as well.... as Paul addresses very clearly in his epistles. All of the problems with broken families and sexual diseases are caused by not following this simple instruction. Like I said....... we are blind if we think we are OK without the law.

Matthew 19 is talking about divorce not weddings.

and this verse

just proves my point. God has joined together not the government.

God unites man and wife.

Our traditional wedding ceremonies are not necessary to be married in Gods eyes. In society eyes its different.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  63
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,157
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  07/25/1982

Who started them?

Just wondering.

What LAW of marriage?

and this verse

God unites man and wife.

Our traditional wedding ceremonies are not necessary to be married in Gods eyes. In society eyes its different.

I would advice noone to just sleep around before marraige...even if they think they will marry that person...it does not matter...I wish people who knew me could understand what i go through each day...not just physically but emotionally...i mean i don't have HIV or anything...but I do have an STD and I use it as part of my testimony..i relate to people who have to go through it...at the same time i am believing GOd for my healing...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  720
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  09/20/1947

If 2 people vow to be together as husband and wife, and make that vow to God as well, then why are they considered living in sin if they dont have a license?

well...i don't think God considers it sin...and people will always think what they want to think....but the only thing that matters is what God thinks...thanks for giving me something to ask my pastor about...

When you ask him, make sure he uses scripture to answer you and not tradition of man. I'd love to hear the answer.

I like it Giaour! :P

Who started them?

Just wondering.

What LAW of marriage?

and this verse

God unites man and wife.

I would advice noone to just sleep around before marraige...even if they think they will marry that person...it does not matter...I wish people who knew me could understand what i go through each day...not just physically but emotionally...i mean i don't have HIV or anything...but I do have an STD and I use it as part of my testimony..i relate to people who have to go through it...at the same time i am believing GOd for my healing...

My question and this topic have nothing to do with sleeping around.

We all know that is a sin.

I'm talking about 2 people in a committed relationship vowing to God and to eachother, then moving in together and consumating the marriage,

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  83
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  07/11/1986

Who started them?

Just wondering.

What LAW of marriage?

and this verse

God unites man and wife.

ok you make a good point :24: Marriage [in my eyes anyways] serves the same purpose of any law.... it acts as something to lean upon. I believe freedom is important but discipline is really even more important. If we have freedom with no discipline we will be lead captive by our own "freedom". Yes Adam and Eve were married in God's eyes.... but we are on the other side of the fall and our views and our ways are all distorted.... I am thankful for something such a the law and marriage and all that stuff.... without it this world would be chaos.... and chaos is no fun.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  387
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  10/11/1977

I have been married for 24 years to the same wonderful man.

This question is nothing personal.

What is a marriage to God?

Two who God has joined together.

What is a marriage to society?

A piece of paper by the government.

I'm not talking about a one nite stand.

Yes that is immoral.

Yes that is fornication.

I'm talking about before the traditions of man, a marriage was a vow between 2 people and God.

That made a marriage.

:taped:

I agree with you totally.

It sounds like some are thinking that you are implying it is okay to date and have sex. I know that is not the case.

To expand on what you said....

If two people vow to eachother and God, they are married. The unbelievers will have no problem with that, like someone else said, because they wont know the difference. If they tell them they are married, who will ask to see their liscence.

The truth is that you don't need a liscence at all. You can still have your marriage recognized by the government if you want to without a liscence, by signing a document such as from a family bible, and having it witnessed. Then you have it recorded at the county building.

You are not living in sin if you don't have it recorded though....you will just not be recognized by the government and may lose out on certain marriage benefits.

One more thing....

If someone decides to proceed with this type of common law marriage, without record, the reasons for divorce from the bible still hold. You can't just get tired of eachother and break up...then you would be committing adultery when you fornicated with someone else. If you get into a sexual relationship with someone, without a lifelong commitment you are living in sin.

with love in Christ,

Tom

I have been married for 24 years to the same wonderful man.

This question is nothing personal.

What is a marriage to God?

Two who God has joined together.

What is a marriage to society?

A piece of paper by the government.

I'm not talking about a one nite stand.

Yes that is immoral.

Yes that is fornication.

I'm talking about before the traditions of man, a marriage was a vow between 2 people and God.

That made a marriage.

I agree with you totally.

It sounds like some are thinking that you are implying it is okay to date and have sex. I know that is not the case.

To expand on what you said....

If two people vow to eachother and God, they are married. The unbelievers will have no problem with that, like someone else said, because they wont know the difference. If they tell them they are married, who will ask to see their liscence.

The truth is that you don't need a liscence at all. You can still have your marriage recognized by the government if you want to without a liscence, by signing a document such as from a family bible, and having it witnessed. Then you have it recorded at the county building.

You are not living in sin if you don't have it recorded though....you will just not be recognized by the government and may lose out on certain marriage benefits.

One more thing....

If someone decides to proceed with this type of common law marriage, without record, the reasons for divorce from the bible still hold. You can't just get tired of eachother and break up...then you would be committing adultery when you fornicated with someone else. If you get into a sexual relationship with someone, without a lifelong commitment you are living in sin.

with love in Christ,

Tom

• 3 months later...
Guest Marquel

This is an interesting topic that I have been researching that NO ONE has been willing to discuss with me. I did an extensive researh project on it. I don't think it's quite complete. I will paste it here. Be warned it is VERY long. Let me know what you think.

Hello. I just graduated from North Central University, an Assemblies of God college in Minneapolis Minnesota. I was raised in the church, though I didn't start following the Lord with all my heart until high school. During my time at the university, I have done lots of biblical study, and have what I think is an interesting conclusion.

I have a friend who told me that the Bible actually does not condemn sex before a marriage ceremony. She said while at a bible study someone made the claim, and they proceeded to search for scripture, and disprove his claim. They did an exegesis on the word fornication, and looked up its meaning in the original Greek. What they found is that the word, "porneia" though translated into English is the word fornication, has nothing to do with unmarried people. What it does have to do with is prostitution and adulterers.

I did my own research myself, and what I found out was similar to that. Here is what I believe I have learned.

New International Version

"Everything is permissible for me"

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  1,980
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

Marquel:In fact, when Adam and Eve were created, Adam said "For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and shall cleave unto his wife. And the two shall become one flesh." That is how Adam and Eve were married. By the actual act of sex. I move to say that unless you have sex, you are not married, according to God.

Hi, Marquel :o

I'm still reading your post marquel but I've have to say here that Adam did not say this but rather the author of Genesis did. Adam didn't even know at the time what is was to have a mother or father. It is believed that Moses was the author of Genesis. Also if it's true that 'one flesh' was an idimatic phrase as I've heard and that it meant 'one family' then it does not carry any sexual conotations.

I'm finishing your post...

Ah, found this in your post, interesting :o :

1 Corinthians 6

16Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, "The two will become one flesh."[a]

True polygamy isn't condemed in the bible though the divine ideal is one man and one woman as God made them male and female in the beginning. Polygamy was a result of patriarchy, culture and other things of man etc not God's ways.

Marquel: