• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,234
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/10/1987

We treat this world like crap; there is no getting around that. It doesn't matter if we are heating up like a solar cooker, or if we aren't doing a thing to our world, the fact is we blast our earth with nasty chemicals and garbage, and we pollute our air with tons and tons of smoke and sludge. Smog is our fault. Land fills are our fault. The rainforest getting chopped down is our fault. Candy wrappers on the ground is our fault. Acid rain is our fault.

The 325 billion being advocated is money that will attempt to clean up our industry pollutants, and help stem the tide of biproducts being propelled into our sky. Even if you don't believe in the cause of global warming, I think it is about time we make a big push to clean up our act, literally. We have been pretty terrible stewards of the earth, and this could be a step in the right direction.

Amen.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  2,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  11/05/1985

I don't agree with what you said about treating this world like crap. We have come to a nice balance of being environmentally friendly, while not putting a complete stop to industry and our way of life.

I guess this is where we differ, because I don't think we have found the "nice balance" yet. Plastic takes a long time to deteriorate, and we are certaintly in a plastics/electronics era today. There is a lot of junk that won't be going away anytime soon. The rainforests are being destroyed, which is sad considering there is so much from it that we haven't even discovered yet. Nuclear and toxic waste side-products get stored underneath our earth, while chemical byproducts end up in lakes and ponds, getting dumped without a second thought to the damages it might have to our ecosystem.

Yes, we could eliminate all pollution by making it illegal to drive a car, fly in an aircraft, and we could shut down all of our plants, but at what cost? We have to balance the needs of society with keeping the air and water clean.

I completely agree, we as humans will pollute naturally, there is no getting around that if we hope to keep our technology. But we can do much more than what we are doing today. Increased filtering mechanisms for industry can be implemented, and we can use more fuel efficient/hybrid vehicles instead of gas-guzzling SUVs. One thing that always gets me is hybrid cars. There have been plans invented for much more fuel efficient cars, but those patents are almost always bought out by -guess who?- Big Oil. They don't want to lose profit from decreased oil consumption, so they buy patents and just sit on them. Things like that make me sad, because money comes before our home :thumbsup:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

Global Warming is legitimately debated - and I'm fine with that. I do think human contributions have caused a slight shift in climate, but not one that will be the end of the world as we know it.

What we need to be more concerned about and, as Christians, need to be taking more of an action on is local pollution. The dumping of toxins into rivers, urban sprawl (which does cause smog, which is very dangerous for young kids and the elderly), overconsumption of natural resources, etc. The reason is:

1) We have been commanded by God to be stewards of this Earth...by destroying it we are not being good stewards

2) Pollution is caused by overconsumption, which is caused by a materialistic outlook on life, one that places the material above the spiritual

3) To help lower diseases. Respiratory diseases have increased per capita since 1960, at an alarming rate.

I would encourage everyone to read "Pollution and the Death of Man" by Francis Schaeffer. He was the "reformer" of modern orthodoxy, and was a voice for the conservative Christians in the intellectual world when no one else wanted to speak out for a long time, yet even he saw the damage that pollution would bring.

• Topic Count:  80
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,595
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

Oh yeah, Jerry Falwell....always the voice of reason.

;):24:

Ahem, :whistling: anyway, the bible is very clear concerning the things to come that are environmental in nature but disasters nontheless for the humans that have to live through them. We will not avoid the events of the end of the age. As to the cause? Does it matter in the end?

The need is for all men everywhere is to repent of sin and believe the gospel. Any healing in the land would be coupled with repentence toward God first.

The only global warming that I think is happening lately, is the Holy Spirit who is turning up the heat for hearts to come to repentance!!

Amen!! Keep turning up the heat LORD!!

:emot-hug::21::)

:24:

The need is for all men everywhere is to repent of sin and believe the gospel. Any healing in the land would be coupled with repentance toward God first.

:24:

What The World Needs Now

"JESUS CHRIST AND HIM CRUCIFIED"

Oh Yeah!

This name is not a permanent name.

This earth is not a permanent earth.

"Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name." (Revelation 3:12)

Even though Jesus will heal this planet, it and the heavens will go when he sits upon The Judgement Throne.

"And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them." (Revelation 20:11)

Love, Joe

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

The need is for all men everywhere is to repent of sin and believe the gospel. Any healing in the land would be coupled with repentence toward God first.

Good point but the first thing that needs to happen is that christians need to become more environmently aware. We suck at it right now. Just look at your church parking lot and all those SUV's. And look at all those people with a new laptop, computer, ipod, this thing or that. It is all made of plastic when you upgrade from one to another the old one has to go somewhere and that place is the dump. We as christians need to be stewards of this world.

As a friend put it the other day. "What a gutless legacy we leave though... the first generation in history to potentially leave our children worse off than we ourselves have been."

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I fail to see how Christianity and environmentalism are mutually exclusive. If anything, the two belong hand-in-hand, working in unison. We are stewards of this planet and, as such, it is our responsibility to see that it's resources are used wisely and to ensure that it is in good condition.

Further, I fail to see how humans can exempt themselves from the possibility that they may have caused a global change. We acknowledge that we pump billions upon billions of cubic tons of CO2 into the atmosphere each year and yet we refuse to think that it may cause some harm to the environment. Let's think about this rationally: billions upon billions of gallons of water would cause unimaginable damage. Billions upon billions of mice would also cause unimaginable damage. Billions upon billions of hail stones would cause unimaginable damage. Billions upon billions of hurricanes would cause unimaginable damage. . .

. . . How then can it be possible that billions upon billions of cubic tons of carbon dioxide would have no effect on the environment whatsoever, given that we know it acts as an insulant?

• Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  720
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  09/20/1947

I fail to see how Christianity and environmentalism are mutually exclusive. If anything, the two belong hand-in-hand, working in unison. We are stewards of this planet and, as such, it is our responsibility to see that it's resources are used wisely and to ensure that it is in good condition.

I agree :24:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  83
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  07/11/1986

'Global warming' fooling the faithful

Link to Article

Posted: February 24, 2007

1:00 a.m. Eastern

By Rev. Jerry Falwell

This Sunday, Feb. 25, I will preach a very unusual sermon. My topic: global warming.

This may seem a strange, possibly even unnecessary, subject to some. But I believe the church must quickly get serious about denouncing the accelerating effort to promote the alleged catastrophic human-caused global warming.

This is especially true since some members of the evangelical community have recently aligned themselves with radical voices within the global warming movement. I see this as unnecessary and, worse, dangerous.

Now, I'm certainly not a scientist. But if one looks past the superficial reporting of the mainstream media and examines the many alternative scientific views on global warming, it is apparent that the earth frequently experiences warming and cooling trends. It appears to me

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

Further, I fail to see how humans can exempt themselves from the possibility that they may have caused a global change. We acknowledge that we pump billions upon billions of cubic tons of CO2 into the atmosphere each year and yet we refuse to think that it may cause some harm to the environment. Let's think about this rationally: billions upon billions of gallons of water would cause unimaginable damage. Billions upon billions of mice would also cause unimaginable damage. Billions upon billions of hail stones would cause unimaginable damage. Billions upon billions of hurricanes would cause unimaginable damage. . .

. . . How then can it be possible that billions upon billions of cubic tons of carbon dioxide would have no effect on the environment whatsoever, given that we know it acts as an insulant?

A lot of Christians are uncomfortable with environmentalism for some good reasons:

1) Originally, it began as a pantheistic cry, or with pantheism as the solution to everything that was occurring. Many have failed to recognize this was just an incorrect solution, not that the problem was also incorrect.

2) Many view it as a "liberal" thing. Unfortunately, in America, too many Christians tow the party line. Thus, if pro-abortion, pro-homosexual,. anti-tax cut, pro-illegal immigration politician comes out and says we need to protect the environment, natural resistance occurs.

3) Many think God won't let anything bad happen to the environment. They often forget we live in a fallen world.

4) Many fear that this has led to deep ecology, or ecocentrism, which would then ignore the importance of anthropology with the environment.

I'm not saying that these are reasons to reject environmentalism, but I am saying they are good reasons to be cautious (with exception to number 2, there's no reason to use that as an excuse).