IGNORED

The Emergent Church

Guest Collie1

Guest Collie1

Is there a thread on here that speaks of the emergent church? I have heard it mentioned a bit lately, but am not sure what it is all about.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jude 1:3

The ECM (Emerging Church Movement) is an attempt to blend Christianity with worldly gimmicks, in order to appeal to postmodern and unorthodox "Christians." When you visit an emergent-style church, like Rick Warren's Saddleback Church (which I've attended) or Joel Osteen's Church, you'll find they don't emphasize the importance of sound doctrine.

Edited by Jude 1:3

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  63
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,157
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/25/1982

The ECM (Emerging Church Movement) is an attempt to blend Christianity with worldly gimmicks, in order to appeal to postmodern and unorthodox "Christians." When you visit an emergent-style church, like Rick Warren's Saddleback Church (which I've attended) or Joel Osteen's Church, you'll find they don't emphasize the importance of sound doctrine.

I agree with you...however, please try to refrain from naming particular churches. I also do not like a particular person that you listed, but it is not up to us to point our finger and lable them or put them down...

However, I do disagree with when someone says on national television that there is more than one way to heaven and the important thing is that people are "happy".

That is something that is ok to say. You can make a statement like that without naming any names. Talk about doctrine of the particular church...what they teach etc...but try not to name names...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,782
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1

In a word, the "Emergent Church" bit sacrifices Scriptural SUBSTANCE & DOCTRINAL verities for highly SELECTIVE "feeling good" vellities. "Come visit us and you'll FEEL right at home. We will not bite you, scold you or call you names. You can leave here as you came in, undisturbed by the claims of Holy Writ!" And, of course, millions buy into it - and miss God's best! Check your daily church newspaper ads & see precisely what non-offensive subjects hold sway today. It's most revealing. Incessant repetitive song-lines, music beats, Talks, heaven without hell, Questions & Answers, internet feeds, whatever, and very little of "Thus saith the Lord!" The LACK of the LATTER, God's Holy Word, tends to write "Ichabod!" over the endeavor. When a church "Preaches the Word," it obeys God's declaration. When it engages in "hit and miss" non-theology, it makes fair-weather friends, but not disciples. Res ipsa loquitor.

http;//arthurdurnan.freeyellow.com

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Paul asked: "If the trumpet gives an uncertain sound, who will prepare himself in the day of battle."

The Emergent Church Movement provides us with an answer to that question: Many strange people!

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

I agree with you...however, please try to refrain from naming particular churches. I also do not like a particular person that you listed, but it is not up to us to point our finger and lable them or put them down...

However, I do disagree with when someone says on national television that there is more than one way to heaven and the important thing is that people are "happy".

That is something that is ok to say. You can make a statement like that without naming any names. Talk about doctrine of the particular church...what they teach etc...but try not to name names...

It is not wrong to point out when someone is in error. If he was bashing their character or simply gossiping, it would be wrong...but that's not what he's doing. He was giving actual examples so the OP could relate it and understand. The New Testament is full of warning against false teaching, we are supposed to be careful and warn others as well. Now, I agree we should not spread gossip or slander about others, but pointing out the flaws and errors in their teaching is absolutely biblical and necessary.

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

The ECM is not a "seeker friendly" movement, nor should it be confused with Rick Warren's church.

The ECM relies on post-modernity as its backbone of operations. Thus, they have no problem causing conflict and being extremely controversial with conservative orthodox Christians.

They change both the structure and doctrine of how Christianity operates. Though it originally began as a way to change the structure of the Church and provide a way for living doctrine, it has since morphed into a belief that treats doctrine as subjective...which is a doctrine in and of itself.

Overall, it becomes a heretical belief because of its treatment of Christian doctrine, but we can still learn quite a bit from how they treat the lost.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  63
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,157
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  07/25/1982

It is not wrong to point out when someone is in error. If he was bashing their character or simply gossiping, it would be wrong...but that's not what he's doing. He was giving actual examples so the OP could relate it and understand. The New Testament is full of warning against false teaching, we are supposed to be careful and warn others as well. Now, I agree we should not spread gossip or slander about others, but pointing out the flaws and errors in their teaching is absolutely biblical and necessary.

Ok..I think I see what you are saying...adn I think we all know about his second preacher he listed...but He did not say anything about Rick Warren...I like Rick Warren..(except for a few things) but if there is something he is doing that is obviously against scripture...then list it...unles that is what he means about saddleback??? I want to know why he says that...especially if I like someone who is blatantly going against scripture...i haven't heard rick warren speak in a long time...so I am not sure what he has been doing today...So maybe some enlightenment there???

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

Rick Warren is for another topic as he is not Emergent, however, he adopts a Pragmatic view of Christianity, which is anti-biblical because it eventually denies God of all His glory.

Guest Collie1

Thank you for your replies, I'd heard a local church was being accused of becoming an emergent church. I attended there at one time, but left for different reasons. My son still goes there, so I want to be sure I know what they are being accused of. Your answers were helpful.

colleen