IGNORED

Birthdays

hupo

Guest Collie1

Since birthdays are after the birth we know when to celebrate them. We couldn't celebrate death days because we don't know when they are until afterward! :emot-hug:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,055
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/12/1944

Birthdays are necessary because:

Without them we wouldn

Jehovah's Witnesses don't celebrate birthdays.

This information comes from the official site of the Jehovah's Witnesses. I won't put a link there.

4. Birthdays: The only two birthday celebrations spoken of in the Bible were held by persons who did not worship Jehovah. (Genesis 40:20-22; Mark 6:21, 22, 24-27) The early Christians did not celebrate birthdays. The custom of celebrating birthdays comes from ancient false religions. True Christians give gifts and have good times together at other times during the year.

I thought that might be where it came from.

JW is that group I was told to keep away from. I don't buy that.

Would be interesting to hear their side of it. :wub:

hupo, my friend,

Sorry I don't mean to get off topic. . .

Please stay away from them. They do not believe that Jesus is diety at all! Their translation of the Bible reads John 1:1-3

1 In [the] beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god. 2 This one was in [the] beginning with God. 3 All things came into existence through him, and apart from him not even one thing came into existence.

They are very close to Christian beliefs, but yet oh so far. They believe Jesus was a created being but not God. They say that there is only one God yet as you can see, John 1:1 has been translated that Jesus was A god. My mother in law is a Jehovah's Witness, or at least used to be. Considering she always celebrated Christimas, at the behest of her husbnad and I don't think she practices anymore I am certain they do not welcome her into the Kingdom Hall.

I know of a woman who was JW her husband went to a Baptist church and recieved the Lord as his personal saviour. She was forced to divorce him by her elders and was encouraged to remarry someone from their church. They have two children.

I appreciate your concern Biblicist, really, and I thank you for it :th_praying:

The way I see it is, if we stay away from people who don't believe as we do, how will the Gospal spread around?

They too have a right to, at least, hear of God's gift to all His children.

If we look at scripture, we see that God actually sent people into the lions den ;)

Yeshua went to heal the sick, not the "healthy"

So, staying away might make it "safer" for me but is it really what God wants?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  132
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

The bible does not say celebrating birthdays is a sin but it says

The day of death is better than the day of one's birth , Eccl.7 v 1.

How come man does exactly the opposite by celebrating birth and lamenting death ?

I think you need to remember that Solomon wrote that in a state of senility and probably depression. That verse is not making a doctrinal statement.

You know more than we read in scripture ?

Who says Solomon was senile and depressed ? And God allowed him to write Ecclesiastes ?

Guest Biblicist
I appreciate your concern Biblicist, really, and I thank you for it :wub:

The way I see it is, if we stay away from people who don't believe as we do, how will the Gospal spread around?

If we look at scripture, we see that God actually sent people into the lions den :whistling:

OK, I misunderstood. I thought you meant you wanted to check out their beliefs because you were interested in them. . . ;)

You are definately correct, they need to hear the Truth.

I think the best way to learn about them is to talk to one, or read their websites.

God bless you for your heart for the lost. They are not an easy bunch to converse with, I've spoken to them when they come to my door. When they hear I am Baptist, they beat feet. :whistling:

Our retired pastor used to talk to them. He would tell them he would listen to them if they would listen to him.

The biggest secret I can tell you about them is to know your sciptures really well and don't let them get you trapped with their useless questions about the end times and such. Stick to the truth of their need. They know their Bible's really well, a lesson many of us could take.

Please keep me updated, if you actually do get a chance to talk to some. I would love to hear about your conversation with them. :th_praying:

I appreciate your concern Biblicist, really, and I thank you for it :wub:

If we look at scripture, we see that God actually sent people into the lions den :whistling:

OK, I misunderstood. I thought you meant you wanted to check out their beliefs because you were interested in them. . . ;)

You are definately correct, they need to hear the Truth.

I think the best way to learn about them is to talk to one, or read their websites.

God bless you for your heart for the lost. They are not an easy bunch to converse with, I've spoken to them when they come to my door. When they hear I am Baptist, they beat feet. :whistling:

Our retired pastor used to talk to them. He would tell them he would listen to them if they would listen to him.

The biggest secret I can tell you about them is to know your sciptures really well and don't let them get you trapped with their useless questions about the end times and such. Stick to the truth of their need. They know their Bible's really well, a lesson many of us could take.

Please keep me updated, if you actually do get a chance to talk to some. I would love to hear about your conversation with them. :th_praying:

Thanks Biblicist,

I would love to bring the whole conversation here but I think it needs the concent of the other person(s).

I do understand what you are saying about knowing your scripture.

I must also admit that I am very far from being an expert on scripture, especially the NT, yet ......

God will guide me if I follow his consulting and what comes to mind first and foremost is...

Eph 6:13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm.

Eph 6:14 Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness,

Eph 6:15 and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace.

Eph 6:16 In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one;

Eph 6:17 and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God,

Eph 6:18 praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,

Eph 6:19 and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel,

I think anyone who believe that celebrating someone's birthday is a sin has WAY too much time on their hands and needs to use it to start reading up on grace a little more.

I agree with this, but...

I don't know if birthdays were celebrated but I believe God does keep track of the years we spend in this life.

A person's age was almost always noted at the time of their death.

And there was a celebration when John the Baptist was born. Luke 1:14

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

How come man does exactly the opposite by celebrating birth and lamenting death ?

I think you need to remember that Solomon wrote that in a state of senility and probably depression. That verse is not making a doctrinal statement.

Right. And we can't forget how many celebrations there were when children were long awaited and born throughout Scripture. In my opinion, birth should be celebrated because it's honoring a person created in the image of God, a gift to the world to declare His glory. Death should also be celebrated, however, because we get to be with God face to face, with no more suffering and pain.

Right. And we can't forget how many celebrations there were when children were long awaited and born throughout Scripture. In my opinion, birth should be celebrated because it's honoring a person created in the image of God, a gift to the world to declare His glory. Death should also be celebrated, however, because we get to be with God face to face, with no more suffering and pain.

Celebrating a persons death... yes, I agree we should celebrate, on principle, but due to culture we don't really feel like celebrating at that time.

There are cultures who actually do celebrate. If I'm not mistaken, there is the Irish wake and the jazz bands of New-Orleans. I recall walking behind my mothers coffin a while back and thinking how wonderfull it would be to have a jazz band accompanying us.

We sat "Shiva" over her and what that means is a week, where the whole framily gets together and, yes, celebrates in a way. Mostly celebrating good memories.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

Celebrating a persons death... yes, I agree we should celebrate, on principle, but due to culture we don't really feel like celebrating at that time.

There are cultures who actually do celebrate. If I'm not mistaken, there is the Irish wake and the jazz bands of New-Orleans. I recall walking behind my mothers coffin a while back and thinking how wonderfull it would be to have a jazz band accompanying us.

We sat "Shiva" over her and what that means is a week, where the whole framily gets together and, yes, celebrates in a way. Mostly celebrating good memories.

There's a verse in Psalms that says "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints". I used to think that was such an odd verse. But the more and more I experience the pain of this fallen world, the more I realize why God would see it as "precious" to bring His children home.