• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,706
  • Topics Per Day:  0.26
  • Content Count:  3,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/10/1955

What does everyone think of this? Any comments?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4038242a11.html

It's called a happy meal. But the grandparents of a Wellington girl are less than pleased that the trademark toy that came with her McDonald's meal was more suited to an adult: a condom.

Seven-year-old Maia Whitaker's grandparents, Suzanne and Rowan Hatch, made the discovery on Tuesday night when they dropped in to the Courtenay Central outlet of the fast food chain as a pre-theatre treat for the girl.

Mr Hatch said it was fortunate that his wife was first to look in the small sports bag which came with the meal.

She was aghast when she found the green Durex condom and its packet.

"I was pretty horrified really. The fact my granddaughter was going to look in the bag and find this thing. It would be difficult to explain, she's only seven."

Pressed for time, Mr Hatch rushed to the counter and demanded to see the manager.

The bag was swapped for a hamburger and a pencil case, and McDonald's is investigating the find.

Mr Hatch said the discovery was bizarre, though his daughter, Maia's mother, Louise Whitaker of Seatoun, found the incident more disturbing.

"I was disgusted. It was (in a gift) with a happy meal aimed at children, not something for adults."

McDonald's spokeswoman Joanna Redfern-Hardisty said she understood the family's unhappiness.

Inquiries had revealed that, because of the popularity of the previous happy meal gift which had sold out at that outlet, pre-packaged sports bags were substituted as children's gifts.

One was left unsealed for display purposes and "somehow" it had ended up with the customer.

The bag was being sent to McDonald's head office for further investigations, while the area manager, Courtenay Central McDonald's outlet owner and the restaurant manager were "looking into" how the condom ended up in the bag.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  63
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,157
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  07/25/1982

well if true...that is sick and sad

• Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,263
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  02/17/1961

ya know, its not that big a deal really. since it wasn't used, ALl that i would have probably done is blow it up and turn it into a balloon. used to do that with the kids with the bags that the health department used to give us which they never worked since i ended up with 6 kids :thumbsup:.

Really its something that isn't going to shake the kids world. just don't make a big deal of it. like i said, blow it up and make a big balloon out of it. or just take it out and go get a dollar toy somewhere.

We must take a stand and NOT be complacent about such things. This is nasty and should have never happened and if we can not trust our children to get a happy meal without screening it first, well then I know our time must be short but by No means should believers take it with a grain of salt. :thumbsup:

Guest Biblicist

I have a feeling it was a mistake. Some stupid teen employee thinking it was funny, Ha ha!

Some people get their noses all bent out of shape over nothing. Any excuse to get on the news. . .

Mr&Mrs Mike, why would it be necessary to explain anything at all to the girl. Just tell her "you don't want that" and get her something else. Instead the idots made a HUGE deal about it. Consider the impact this story has had/will have on the girl, instead of being private about it and not making a big deal it's become a story that she will carry. "That's the girl who got a condom in her Happy Meal." Ha ha!

McDonald's is investigating the find
Which means that they did not put it in there intentionally, nor is it a new "toy" they will be giving out.

Just an adults ploy for attention. Not even worth mentioning.

Guess it's OK for adults to make a big deal about things, so the whole world knows. What ever happened to being demure and reticent? Keeping situations quiet instead of making everything public for all the world to know and see.

Sure, talk to the manager, privately, get it investigated. But to talk to the media? Foolishness.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.09
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

Yeah cause accidents NEVER happen. How many millions of Happy Meals are served and 1, has a condom in it, because the restaurant ran out of the regular toys and bought something to put into them and 1 condom somehow got left.............talk about over reacting. They should sue, and get millions of dollars, this is just sad.

Yeah cause accidents NEVER happen. How many millions of Happy Meals are served and 1, has a condom in it, because the restaurant ran out of the regular toys and bought something to put into them and 1 condom somehow got left.............talk about over reacting. They should sue, and get millions of dollars, this is just sad.

You know thats what this will lead to, another lawsuit.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.09
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

Exactly.............................."how could I explain this to a seven year old" please, I've had to explain worse, did I like it, no.............but it happens. Get over it and move on.

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  2,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  11/05/1985

I agree with Silentprayer and Eliyahuw on this one... it's a piece of latex folks, nothing that people should get worked up about. It appears to me that it was a prank pulled by an employee, and is getting blown out of proportion.

A condom isn't a sinful object by itself. A condom in its package isn't a "bad" thing. If the child asked what it was, as Eliyahuw said, you could pretend it was a balloon, or a latex glove :24: . You don't need to explain what it is really used for, and if you didn't want to pretend it was something else you could just say "it is something for adults" and return it for an actual toy at the restaurant. But this sounds blown waaaay out of proportion. Sometimes you just gotta roll with the punches :noidea:

Exactly.............................."how could I explain this to a seven year old" please, I've had to explain worse, did I like it, no.............but it happens. Get over it and move on.

ROTFL OHhh yeah, I have too. With 6 kids, i have had many times to explain what mommy and daddy were doing when they walked in on them