• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  203
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/02/1989

Does anyone have any tips on losing weight :) I'm 17 and weight 205, And I Love to dress up alot.. I try to Lose the caffeine But it kinda hard when sugar is what keeps you running all day :b: Tips will be love thanks :thumbsup:

I Don't Eat as much as I use to,I have bein cutting down on Soda Input and drink "caffeine free" and water lately

Edited by Yami Bakura

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Read "French Women Don't Get Fat." I tell that to every woman who comes in here asking for that sort of advice, and there's a good reason for it: it's about healthy lifestyle change, and goes against popular dieting techniques (which only lead to unhealthy "yo-yo" dieting). It won't be hard to find: Oprah helped a lot with the book's P.R., and it was on the NY Times bestseller's list for a long while.

Some of her best tips include:

1. Eat more slowly. Chew LOTS and describe to yourself what you are tasting while you are chewing. This will not only give your body time to realize you're full, but it will also improve your palate and make you more discerning when it comes to your food choices.

2. Don't get to the point where you're thinking "I'm starving!" It's hard when you're in school, I know, but one of the best things you will ever do for your metabolism is to eat six small meals a day instead of one to three big ones. If you don't get to the point where you feel desperate for food, it will be easier to slow down while you're eating.

3. Carry a healthy snack (like almonds) in your backpack or purse at all times so that you have the means to satisfy a snack attack without hitting McDonald's or the vending machine.

Anyway, apart from that, go to webmd.com's health and diet centre and follow the medically sound advice that is to be found there.

One last thing:

Wean yourself off sodas. Trust me, that'll make a huge difference. Don't try to go cold turkey (I know that never works for me)...instead, carry around a water bottle, and take a big drink from that whenever you're getting the craving for a soda. For the most part, that'll make it so you're not thirsty and therefore not going to the pop machine. Reward yourself at lunch or something and have ONE. Savour it slowly, don't guzzle it.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  86
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  09/28/1982

Hi there sister!

At the moment I am on this serious diet cause Im getting married in a few months. I just cut out all snacks, no soda, half the sugar and only 3 meals a day (normal portions). The key of course is exercise. I go to the gym 3 times a week to tone up and shed as much as possible. Its hard work but nothing in life worth having comes easy.

Hope you get to where you want to be! Just set your sights on the prize and push forward!

GOD BLESS!!!

Sean

Guest LadyFavor

Oprah is fat again! Now what do we do? :th_praying:

Read "French Women Don't Get Fat." I tell that to every woman who comes in here asking for that sort of advice, and there's a good reason for it: it's about healthy lifestyle change, and goes against popular dieting techniques (which only lead to unhealthy "yo-yo" dieting). It won't be hard to find: Oprah helped a lot with the book's P.R., and it was on the NY Times bestseller's list for a long while.

Some of her best tips include:

1. Eat more slowly. Chew LOTS and describe to yourself what you are tasting while you are chewing. This will not only give your body time to realize you're full, but it will also improve your palate and make you more discerning when it comes to your food choices.

2. Don't get to the point where you're thinking "I'm starving!" It's hard when you're in school, I know, but one of the best things you will ever do for your metabolism is to eat six small meals a day instead of one to three big ones. If you don't get to the point where you feel desperate for food, it will be easier to slow down while you're eating.

3. Carry a healthy snack (like almonds) in your backpack or purse at all times so that you have the means to satisfy a snack attack without hitting McDonald's or the vending machine.

Anyway, apart from that, go to webmd.com's health and diet centre and follow the medically sound advice that is to be found there.

One last thing:

Wean yourself off sodas. Trust me, that'll make a huge difference. Don't try to go cold turkey (I know that never works for me)...instead, carry around a water bottle, and take a big drink from that whenever you're getting the craving for a soda. For the most part, that'll make it so you're not thirsty and therefore not going to the pop machine. Reward yourself at lunch or something and have ONE. Savour it slowly, don't guzzle it.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  864
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  04/22/1954

My husband cut back on sodas,walks a lot and portion control. This has helped him lose 35 pounds.Might not work for everyone but it did for him. :th_praying:

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Oprah is fat again! Now what do we do? :th_praying:

Yeah, Oprah doesn't always listen to her own advice...I'm pretty sure she's gotten into the yo-yo dieting thing.

Guest LadyC

well you won't like my suggestion because you like the energy that you get from all that sugar.

eliminate sugar. and eliminate a majority of the starches you eat (potatoes, bread, etc.)

the body is designed to burn fat for energy, not sugar. if you're taking in all that sugar (and starches get converted to sugar in the bloodstream), then all your body is not going to be burning the fat that is already stored in your body... you will not starve for lack of sugary snacks as long as you don't start buying into the "low-fat" philosophy. if you eat things higher in fat you'll have the energy without the crash, you won't get hungry as often, and you will get full faster at mealtimes.

for snacks during the day, eat nuts or veggies instead of candy bars.

Guest Biblicist

Exercise and portion control is the key. I say as I eat a bag of chips. . . :th_praying:

Reminds me of my favorite commercial.

"This is my husband, he stopped drinking sodas and lost 12#."

"I stopped and I lost ONE."

"Then he started eating subs and he lost 7#. And I haven't had bread in two years."

"Then he started walking. . . OK just cut it out, what do you want to weigh zero or something?"

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.24
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

well you won't like my suggestion because you like the energy that you get from all that sugar.

eliminate sugar. and eliminate a majority of the starches you eat (potatoes, bread, etc.)

the body is designed to burn fat for energy, not sugar. if you're taking in all that sugar (and starches get converted to sugar in the bloodstream), then all your body is not going to be burning the fat that is already stored in your body... you will not starve for lack of sugary snacks as long as you don't start buying into the "low-fat" philosophy. if you eat things higher in fat you'll have the energy without the crash, you won't get hungry as often, and you will get full faster at mealtimes.

for snacks during the day, eat nuts or veggies instead of candy bars.

Good advice. And eat tons of veggies, mostly raw, and a few fruits. A few beans and legumes. Lots of water. Tea, coffee, and sodas don't count.

But you have to exercise too or it won't work.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

Well, first of all, DO NOT starve yourself. Thats silly and harmful.

Cutting down on soda is definatly a good idea. I don't drink it at all, ever (not for weight loss reasons, just general health). It has huge amounts of sugar and calories and it really isn't that hard to just stop. I find that a glass of cold water often tastes just as good, if not better than soda. (especially 5 minutes after you drink it and you don't have a gross aftertaste in your mouth).

Eat lots of veggies, but try to be creative with them. Tomatoes taste infinitely better cut into wedges and sprinkled with some kind of herb (not sure what it is, my mom makes it). Cucumbers taste great with vinegar too.

And eat slowly, I have been told it takes 10 minutes to realize that you are full and I find this to be roughly true in personal experiance. I tested it while working at A&W. I found that one hamburger made me perfectly full for the rest of my shift if I ate it, and then stopped eating. However, if I managed to eat two hamburgers in a short time, I could eat them both and still feel hungry after (followed by feeling stuffed and bloated shortly after).

God Bless,

Keilan