methinkshe

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  679
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

Scripture teaches that the husband is the head of the wife, and that although male and female are of equal worth in God's eyes, they differ in terms of their responsibilities before God and therefore have been appointed different degrees of authority. Christian marriages symbolise the union between Christ and His church - the bride. If we overturn God's order by suggesting that husbands and wives have equal authority, do we not undermine the relationship between Christ and the bride? If a woman has the greater, or even equal authority within a Christian marriage, does that not allow the false view that the church has authority over Jesus, her head? And is this not why Paul says that he does not permit a woman to teach in church - i.e. a general assembly of men and women? The implication would be that the bride (the church) could authoritatively teach Jesus Christ, her head.

In Jesus,

Ruth

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  0

Scripture teaches that the husband is the head of the wife, and that although male and female are of equal worth in God's eyes, they differ in terms of their responsibilities before God and therefore have been appointed different degrees of authority. Christian marriages symbolise the union between Christ and His church - the bride. If we overturn God's order by suggesting that husbands and wives have equal authority, do we not undermine the relationship between Christ and the bride? If a woman has the greater, or even equal authority within a Christian marriage, does that not allow the false view that the church has authority over Jesus, her head? And is this not why Paul says that he does not permit a woman to teach in church - i.e. a general assembly of men and women? The implication would be that the bride (the church) could authoritatively teach Jesus Christ, her head.

In Jesus,

Ruth

Shalom Ruth,

Amen. :huh:

• Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

Boy, I can see smoke coming out of some ears here!

Look, all are equal in G-d's eyes; none is greater than the other. I take issue with this statement of yours:

[A]lthough male and female are of equal worth in God's eyes, they differ in terms of their responsibilities before God and therefore have been appointed different degrees of authority.

Equal is equal; there cannot be degrees of equality! In the Kingdom we all have the exact same standing and the exact same responsibilities.

On earth, as a demonstration of the orderliness of the Kingdom, there has to be a hierarchy of authority. Having said that, the best marriages are cannot dictatorships. G-d is a benevolent Dictator because He is omniscient. We aren't--not men and not women--therefore we need each other to make decisions. Men and women think differently but together they for a complete person.

It's ridiculous to force a milquetoast-man into being the single decision maker! Similarly, it's crazy to have a bully forcing his way or the highway on his family. But the reverse is also true; a shrew makes a lousy leader. No, I would say that the best marriages are a co-operative effort between husband and wife; none makes a decision without discussing it with the other. Ultimately, I think the husband--if he is able mentally and emotionally--should make the decision after consulting his wife. If he's a total boob, and don't laugh, boob-like husbands are all over the place, he should have humility to let his wife work with him.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

On earth, as a demonstration of the orderliness of the Kingdom, there has to be a hierarchy of authority. Having said that, the best marriages are cannot dictatorships. G-d is a benevolent Dictator because He is omniscient. We aren't--not men and not women--therefore we need each other to make decisions. Men and women think differently but together they for a complete person.

It's ridiculous to force a milquetoast-man into being the single decision maker! Similarly, it's crazy to have a bully forcing his way or the highway on his family. But the reverse is also true; a shrew makes a lousy leader. No, I would say that the best marriages are a co-operative effort between husband and wife; none makes a decision without discussing it with the other. Ultimately, I think the husband--if he is able mentally and emotionally--should make the decision after consulting his wife. If he's a total boob, and don't laugh, boob-like husbands are all over the place, he should have humility to let his wife work with him.

I have to agree with Ruth and I dont think she was talking about dictatorship.

Book of Proverbs clears it up pretty well.

Chapter 1:

man= instruction

woman = wisdom

it's not:

man= instruction\wisdom

woman = wisdom\instruction

like a Tennis team. you have one person playing the front while the other is playing the back.

They are a team but have different roles but still are a team. ... 3xR0c|<stAr

• Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

I'm in agreement with Ruth also.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.69

Boy, I can see smoke coming out of some ears here!

Look, all are equal in G-d's eyes; none is greater than the other. I take issue with this statement of yours:

[A]lthough male and female are of equal worth in God's eyes, they differ in terms of their responsibilities before God and therefore have been appointed different degrees of authority.

Equal is equal; there cannot be degrees of equality! In the Kingdom we all have the exact same standing and the exact same responsibilities.

Beautifully said and I totally agree.

:huh::o

OC

• Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338

Chapter 1:

man= instruction

woman = wisdom

it's not:

man= instruction\wisdom

like a Tennis team. you have one person playing the front while the other is playing the back.

Exactly. My goodness but you are smart. Allow me to quote one of the brightest thinkers I know:

G-d is a benevolent Dictator because He is omniscient. We aren't--not men and not women--therefore we need each other to make decisions. Men and women think differently but together they for a complete person.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

Chapter 1:

man= instruction

woman = wisdom

it's not:

man= instruction\wisdom

Exactly. My goodness but you are smart. Allow me to quote one of the brightest thinkers I know:

G-d is a benevolent Dictator because He is omniscient. We aren't--not men and not women--therefore we need each other to make decisions. Men and women think differently but together they for a complete person.

actually to finish the equation

man= instruction

woman = wisdom

God = instruction AND wisdom

(scripture before this is husbands role but then ending is the point)

Eph 5:30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.

31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, <----Teamand they two shall be one flesh.

together, a strong team under God's eyes, is wisdom and instruction. :huh:

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  03/16/1946

I too agree with Ruth. The equality of men and women has nothing to do with their responsibilities under God. God has given each of us very specific responsibilities to perform, and He didn't say to do them "if our personality allows us to". He simply said to do it. I know that this is a controversial subject and that people will probably never come to a complete agreement or understanding. But as for me, I will do what I do understand God to be commanding me to do. If I'm wrong I know He will lead me into the truth. I suppose that's really all any of us can do.

Paulette

:huh:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  679
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

This reminds me of the George Orwell book "Animal Farm", in which the pigs kept changing the laws over time.

It started out, "All animals are created equal," but over time it became, "All animals are created equal, but some are created more equal than others."

As pointed out, you are either equal, or you are not equal. You can't have it both ways.

It is necessary first to understand what is meant by equal. It cannot mean "the same as" because all men are not the same - never mind women. In boxing, for instance, we have heavyweight and lightweight classes. Bring women into the equation, and we have seperate sporting events for men and women. So there is obviously an inequality between men and women at a physical level. Which is why I said that men and women are equal in terms of worth. Interestingly, the law treats mean and women differently, recognising that women are subject to different outward influences than men, such as PMT. So "equality" has to be defined before it can be properly discussed. I would define it in terms of "intrinsic worth" but maybe others have a better idea.

In Jesus

Ruth

Edited by methinkshe