angels4u

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

Do you agree or disagree with" to spare the rod is to spoil the child?

In Canada you are not alowed to spank a child.

What do you think?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  222
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

I think the lawmakers in Canada are Morons! A more ungodly bunch, this Country has ever seen! :t2:

Abuse and Discipline are two totally different subjects in my book! :t2:

A slap on the butt as a form of correction, has never "scarred" anyone!

Notice I said "slap", not pound or hit with a fist. Just so my words won't be misunderstood! :rofl:

Only Christ Saves

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

What do you think?

Disagree.

"Spare the Rod, spoil the child" is not found in the Bible.

The closest phrase found similar to it is Proverbs 13:24 "Proverbs 13:24

He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes. "

But even this verse does not refer to hitting or beating a child.

The term 'rod' was actually a sceptre, a symbol of one's rule over others or a symbol of one's authority.

Pro 13:24 simply indicates that any parent who does not exercise authority over their child really does not love that child.

The Bible verse doesn't really have anything to say about corproal punishment.

But that said, a good crack on a child's the behind can get more results than any begging and pleading with him...and is completely necessary at times....imho.

Guest idolsmasher

What do you think?

Sorry angels but you are wrong about that. It is permissible in Canada to spank a child using "reasonable force." Using a literal rod could be seen as unreasonable force, or bruising etc, but it is permissible to spank. There have been some high profile cases that upheld a parents right to reasonable force. One was actually an American in Canada who spanked his daughter on the trunk of his car for slamming the car door on her brothers hand. The courts ruled that he was well within his parental rights and he won his case. To say it isn't permissable is very misleading and we all have to agree that this right can lead to abuse and that is why the law sets limits by the use of the term "reasonable force".

texas also forbids the spanking of children. i thought all states did, until my oldest daughter ran her mouth last year (in NV) to some people about how we would "hit" her, and they called social services on us. fortunately for us, the state of NV believes that children should be disciplined and is not opposed to spankings. because they get frequent complaints about spankings, they've adopted a very pointed response. "it is not illegal in this state to hit your child. it is only illegal to bruise your child. so if there are no bruises, we will not even look into the matter". it must be scripted, because i called myself when i found out we'd been reported, and that is exactly what i was told. i didn't get it, so i continued my explanation that we'd never "hit" her, only spanked her, and probably not often enough. the social worker repeated the phrase word for word, three times, until it sunk in that she was saying "quit worrying about it".

i go rather nutty over people who insist that spanking a child is wrong. those people need a wakeup call. different children respond differently to various kinds of punishment. some may do just fine with time-outs. others may not get the hint without a belt on the butt. i've known many kids (and parents) with a no spank policy. the vast majority of them were not disciplined consistently by their parents in any way. of those who were consistently disciplined, there were as many totally disrespectful, out of control kids as there were well behaved ones.

let me give an example of one family i know. they had a no-spank policy, but were definitely under consistent discipline. one of their daughters was an absolute dream child... rarely misbehaved, never spoke disrespectfully to elders, always said ma'am and sir. her sister, who is two years younger, is hateful, mouthy, and always getting into trouble.

were these girls spoiled? one was, one wasn't. the one for whom other forms of punishment were not effective was spoiled. she should have been spanked.

after all, what does spoiled mean? it means ruined... it does NOT mean overindulged. and when a child is ruined, they not only disrespect the authority of their parents, teachers, etc., they disrespect the authority of God.

i am not exempting myself, by the way. i regret that i spoiled my own children.

Idol, I live in Canada AND KNOW that spanking as punishment will be investigated, if lets say my child would phone Social Service and tell them they get spanked I am in danger of them taking my children from me.

When my children were young ,we believed that spanking when nessesary was a healthy thing to do, we have 4 children, some of them needed it more then others, but looking back they all have a different personality and even spanking did not always worked. We had more trouble with one child to listen and it didn't matter which way of disapline we used....she would not listen.

Angels

Guest idolsmasher

I live in Canada too Angels and I have disciplined my children sometimes by spanking. Have you not heard of those high profile cases? The only thing they can take your kids for is abuse as in unreasonable force, but just a regular spanking is allowed under federal law. I don't know where you get this idea.

here, we'll end the canadian law debate :t2:

Ontario judge upholds spanking law

currently you can still legally spank in canada.

Criminal Code

PART I

Protection of Persons in Authority

Correction of child by force

43. Every schoolteacher, parent or person standing in the place of a parent is justified in using force by way of correction toward a pupil or child, as the case may be, who is under his care, if the force does not exceed what is reasonable under the circumstances. Canadian Criminal Code

Sorry to disappoint you, but we are foster parents and are not allowed in any way to ever spank a child! :t2:

Angels

rules governing the care of foster children often differ from the laws that apply to one's own children. foster children often come from sordid backgrounds and have to be protected from any possible further abuse than they have already suffered. and, at least in the US, abuse towards foster children is very common.

in any case, the law in canada still allows one to spank a child, even if foster parents are not given that right.