• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  107
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/06/1990

The bible says to not judge because it's a sin.

1) Judge not, that you be not judged. 2) For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you.

Matthew 7:1-2

Yet, the bible also says this...

15) Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16) You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17) Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18) A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19) Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20) Therefore by their fruits you will know them.

Matthew 7:15-20

How far should I judge? I know some people that I'm afraid say they are christians, and they got saved, but I've noticed that they've cussed and commited blasphemy almost everyday I seen them. I can't "see" Jesus in their hearts. Is it a sin of judging them as hypicrites and non-beleivers?

Edited by Deathstar 80

1) Judge not, that you be not judged. 2) For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you.

15) Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16) You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17) Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18) A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19) Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20) Therefore by their fruits you will know them.

How far should I judge? I know some people that I'm afraid say they are christians, and they got saved, but I've noticed that they've cussed and commited blasphemy almost everyday I seen them. I can't "see" Jesus in their hearts. Is it a sin of judging them as hypicrites and non-beleivers?

You are finding that Christians outside of your circle have their own belief system that works for them. Trust me, they find passages in the Bible to reinforce their beliefs. Just like you do. The next time, why not ask for 'an exchange of ideas' party.

But exactly how should we judge someone? By "their fruits" as the bible says, or am I wrong about this?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

When we see someone sin we have to be careful, for if we look at someone who sins with contempt in our heart we shouldn't be surprised if we find ourselves committing the same sin. (been there did that) When we see someone sin we should have compassion because that sin may lead them to ruin. Pray for them. Hate the sin? yes, hate the sinner? of course not. Not that it is always easy to do so, some people are so perplexing.

There is another problem, sometimes we see people doing things that we feel are wrong, but we do not know the person's motives. (I am not talking about obvious sins, like cursing, lying etc.) The Lord looks at a person's heart.

1Samuel 16:7 But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for [the LORD seeth] not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.

2 Corinthians 10:7 Do ye look on things after the outward appearance? If any man trust to himself that he is Christ's, let him of himself think this again, that, as he is Christ's, even so are we Christ's.

Edited by songbird24

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  972
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  07/07/1964

Luke 6:37Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

38Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

39And he spake a parable unto them, Can the blind lead the blind? shall they not both fall into the ditch?

40The disciple is not above his master: but every one that is perfect shall be as his master.

41And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but perceivest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

42Either how canst thou say to thy brother, Brother, let me pull out the mote that is in thine eye, when thou thyself beholdest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye, and then shalt thou see clearly to pull out the mote that is in thy brother's eye.

43For a good tree bringeth not forth corrupt fruit; neither doth a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

44For every tree is known by his own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes.

45A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

Matt 7:15Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

16Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

17Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

18A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

19Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

20Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  970
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

In 1 Cor 2:15, Paul states:

The person with the Spirit makes judgments about all things, but such a person is not subject to merely human judgments, for, "Who has known the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?"

In 1 Cor 4:5, Paul states:

Therefore, judge nothing before the appointed time; wait till the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of people's hearts. At that time, each will receive their praise from God.

In 1 Cor 5:12, Paul states:

What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. "Expel the wicked person from among you."

This can be somewhat confusing. I do judge things in my personal life. Things that I will let in my life or not. When talking with others, and they say they do something that I would not do, I do not tell them that I am against it, but that is something I choose not to do because I believe it to be this or that. (One particular subject: not keeping money left in a money machine) If there is someone who is doing something that we find in the Bible to be immoral, I do take the issue to prayer.

When we see someone sin we have to be careful, for if we look at someone who sins with contempt in our heart we shouldn't be surprised if we find ourselves committing the same sin. (been there did that) When we see someone sin we should have compassion because that sin may lead them to ruin. Pray for them. Hate the sin? yes, hate the sinner? of course not. Not that it is always easy to do so, some people are so perplexing.

There is another problem, sometimes we see people doing things that we feel are wrong, but we do not know the person's motives. (I am not talking about obvious sins, like cursing, lying etc.) The Lord looks at a person's heart.

1Samuel 16:7 But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for [the LORD seeth] not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.

2 Corinthians 10:7 Do ye look on things after the outward appearance? If any man trust to himself that he is Christ's, let him of himself think this again, that, as he is Christ's, even so are we Christ's.

But what about the "fruits they make", or their works? As I've said at the top of this topic, Jesus warns us of false prophets, that we should "look at the fruit they bear"

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  192
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  12/24/1982

But exactly how should we judge someone? By "their fruits" as the bible says, or am I wrong about this?

You don't Judge people by their fruits...Matt 7:16, what version are you reading? :emot-highfive:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

That's not what Jesus said in Matthew chapter 7.

What he said in the Sermon on the Mount was to be willing to hold yourself to the same standard that you judge another by. Furthermore, your focus should be restoration and not condemnation. Only Jesus is the judge of a man's eternity. Lastly, we should approach our brethren with gentleness and love.

Jesus used an eye as a metaphor. If you see a splinter in your brother's eye, should you just ignore it, risking the loss of his sight? Of coarse not. BUT before you can help your brother remove the splinter from his eye, you need clear vision yourself... remove the plank from your eye first. Do you just go and poke him in the eye? Of coarse not or you risk doing more damage than the splinter. Rather you approach him and tell him that he has a splinter and that if he is willing, you'd like to help him remove it. Then, when he is willing, you gently remove the splinter and help him resort his full sight.

This passage of Scripture is misapplied too often and the result is that believers end up not holding one another accountable.

NOTE: I moved this discussion to the Inner Court's Doctrinal Discussion forum where it seems more appropriate.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.70
  • Days Won:  1

The distinction was in berribear's post:

With regard to "the body/other confessing believers", we are to hold one another accountable, in love. There are specifics to the body, and holding each other accountable, so that the name of Christ is not blasphemed by unbelievers outside of the church, due to un-Christian behavior (See Romans 2:24). We are to walk as Christians, and if a brother does not do so, we are to be bold and loving enough to address the issue within the body:

1 Cor. 5

1 It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that does not occur even among pagans: A man has his father's wife. 2 And you are proud! Shouldn't you rather have been filled with grief and have put out of your fellowship the man who did this? 3 Even though I am not physically present, I am with you in spirit. And I have already passed judgment on the one who did this, just as if I were present. 4 When you are assembled in the name of our Lord Jesus and I am with you in spirit, and the power of our Lord Jesus is present, 5 hand this man over to Satan, so that the sinful nature may be destroyed and his spirit saved on the day of the Lord. 6 Your boasting is not good. Don't you know that a little yeast works through the whole batch of dough?

7 Get rid of the old yeast that you may be a new batch without yeast--as you really are. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed. 8 Therefore let us keep the Festival, not with the old yeast, the yeast of malice and wickedness, but with bread without yeast, the bread of sincerity and truth.

9 I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people-- 10 not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11 But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat. 12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13 God will judge those outside. "Expel the wicked man from among you."

There are very clear instructions within Scripture about being set apart (holy), and not acting/walking as the world does. This does not mean that we are mean or unloving, but that we are to be sanctified and loving, with truth and mercy. We are not to be of "the world", anymore than our Lord was of the world. We are to be set apart.

James 4:4 You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.

If there are problems within the body, they are to be handled within the body. The Scriptures clearly teach us how to handle issues within the church:

Here are the steps:

Matthew 18

15 "If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. 16 But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that 'every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.' 17 If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

And for an elder of the church:

1 Tim 5:19 Do not entertain an accusation against an elder unless it is brought by two or three witnesses. 20 Those who sin are to be rebuked publicly, so that the others may take warning. 21 I charge you, in the sight of God and Christ Jesus and the elect angels, to keep these instructions without partiality, and to do nothing out of favoritism.

There are many more passages in regard to "making judgments" about issues, (noticed there is a difference between "making judgments and judging", 2 totally different things), but these passages are the basics of the body, so that we will not be judged as hypocrites, such as the pharisees were.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Topic Count:  113
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/28/1952

Greetings Deathstar, The only instance that we are allowed to "judge" anyone is in the case that they are of the "Christian" sector. There is no Word of God that I know of that allows us to "tell" or "advise" anyone of their sins, other than if they are as us, and are professed "Christians." Then in Matthew we are advised to tell them of their sin and if the are true Christians, they will accept it in the proper spirit.....which should be the spirit of love. Paul also talks of if the sining Christian still continues to sin , we are to take two fellow Christians with us to the sinner and advise him/her of their sin a second time. Then finally they should be cast from the church.....this is my understanding so I make every effort not to get too judgemental....and that a triumph for me! lol