• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  192
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/24/1982

How far should I judge?

Within the perimeters of yourself(mind, heart and body), outside that let God do His job.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

we should not judging other people.

we should be seperating ourselves from others that hinder our walk.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  679
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

I'm not very good at using the search function, but I remember this point arising on another thread and I asked for clarification from a member who is familiar with the original Bible languages. Anyway, the point is that the word "judge" has several connotations. It is ALWAYS right, for instance, to judge/discern - we are instructed to do that in many verses. However, it is not our position to judge/condemn - that is God's alone to do. Now, when I read my Bible and come across the word "judge" I think to myself: is it meaning "judge/discern" or "judge/condemn" and then everything seems to fall into place. I should judge in this instance, or I shouldn't judge in that instance. It is a fairly simplistic approach, but it has worked well for me. But I'm sure there are Bible scholars at Worthy who could offer a better explanation.

In Jesus,

Ruth

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  164
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I'm not very good at using the search function, but I remember this point arising on another thread and I asked for clarification from a member who is familiar with the original Bible languages. Anyway, the point is that the word "judge" has several connotations. It is ALWAYS right, for instance, to judge/discern - we are instructed to do that in many verses. However, it is not our position to judge/condemn - that is God's alone to do. Now, when I read my Bible and come across the word "judge" I think to myself: is it meaning "judge/discern" or "judge/condemn" and then everything seems to fall into place. I should judge in this instance, or I shouldn't judge in that instance. It is a fairly simplistic approach, but it has worked well for me. But I'm sure there are Bible scholars at Worthy who could offer a better explanation.

In Jesus,

Ruth

Yes, I would agree with this. As Christians we must judge (discern) between spirits or ideas, but it is not up to us to condemn people. We should judge rightly. If we judge rightly, then we should have no fear of being judged as we judge. However, if we condemn, then we should be fearful of being condemned.

We should do justly, love mercy and walk humbly with our God.... That sounds familiar.... Micah 6 anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  107
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  12/06/1990

I'm confused about this because I've met many people who calls themselves "christians", and then cuss, say the name of god in vain, etc., and I don't know what to do about it. And what about body language? If someone looks at you like they hate you, shouldn't you judge them as someone who might have a hard time, or maybe even does hate you?

1. Judge not, that you be not judged. 2. For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you.

Matthew 7:1-2 (NKJV)

The following scripture is why I thought we can tell if someone is a christian or not by their works, or in other words, "fruits".

15) Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16) You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17) Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18) A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19) Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20) Therefore by their fruits you will know them.

Matthew 7:15-20 (NKJV)

Please understand, I don't want to condemn, spread rumors, complain, etc., to anyone at all!!! Instead, could I judge these christians by their works so I could maybe talk to them? Of course, I would have to find a way to talk to them without insulting them, because the thought just came to me that people would hate it if you judged them, and then you were talking about how they needed Jesus again. I would hate it. Tell you the truth, I would probably immediately become blinded with anger, and call the person a hypocrite. I don't know what to do, please help me with this question.

Edited by Deathstar 80

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  01/09/1985

This issue did cause me to wonder for a while, until I found this when reading John one time:

John 7:24 (New King James Version)

24 Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment.

That pretty much cleared it up for me, since that is basically a simplified version of what the rest of scripture says it seems. And straight from Jesus' mouth too, so can't be too bad!

And I found this too, maybe it's of use: http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/fbns/fbns173.html - I haven't read it completely, just scimmed over it, but it seems to be going through most the scriptures that others have pointed out in this thread thus far.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

The bible says to not judge because it's a sin.

1) Judge not, that you be not judged. 2) For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you.

Matthew 7:1-2

Yet, the bible also says this...

15) Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16) You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17) Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18) A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19) Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20) Therefore by their fruits you will know them.

Matthew 7:15-20

How far should I judge? I know some people that I'm afraid say they are christians, and they got saved, but I've noticed that they've cussed and commited blasphemy almost everyday I seen them. I can't "see" Jesus in their hearts. Is it a sin of judging them as hypicrites and non-beleivers?

Joh 7:24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

LT

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

1) Judge not, that you be not judged. 2) For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you.

How far should I judge? I know some people that I'm afraid say they are christians, and they got saved, but I've noticed that they've cussed and commited blasphemy almost everyday I seen them. I can't "see" Jesus in their hearts. Is it a sin of judging them as hypicrites and non-beleivers?

Greetings Deathstar, The only instance that we are allowed to "judge" anyone is in the case that they are of the "Christian" sector. There is no Word of God that I know of that allows us to "tell" or "advise" anyone of their sins, other than if they are as us, and are professed "Christians." Then in Matthew we are advised to tell them of their sin and if the are true Christians, they will accept it in the proper spirit.....which should be the spirit of love. Paul also talks of if the sining Christian still continues to sin , we are to take two fellow Christians with us to the sinner and advise him/her of their sin a second time. Then finally they should be cast from the church.....this is my understanding so I make every effort not to get too judgemental....and that a triumph for me! lol

1Ti 5:20 Them that sin rebuke before all, that others also may fear.

2Ti 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

Tit 2:15

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

stick with the Word of God as your judge.... for this is the measure you will be judged by.... for that matter so will I......

we are also told that if we can not handle the small things of this earth (judge) how are we going to be able to judge the angels..........

actually, this is a way of witnessing, depending on the circumstanses...... using the 10 commandments only, and you can actually draw people in, using ones self as an example....

such as

if you steal, what are you called? a thief is the answer,

if you lie, what are you called? a liar is the answer.....

ask the person if they have ever stolen anything, even something very small like a piece of gum or candy or a pen or pencil from work....

ask them if htey have ever fibbed, even those little white lies......

then

say (as an example) this one really got me......

have you ever looked upon another with lust in your eyes (heart).... for Christ said, even if you only look upon some one with lust in your heart, you have committed adultry....

if they answer yes,

then you tell them, see, even if the 10 commandments are the onlything that is going to be judged, you have by your own admission that you have broken three of them already..... if you were to be judged by these, how would you have to plea? most will have to say guilty.....

we do have to open the door to wittnessing at times..... and this is just one tool to use to bring some one to Christ..... showing them that we can not do it on our own....... and share with them the plan of salvation and how Christ took care of the penalties....

they may even say, God would not send a good person to hell....

Christ said that there are none tha tare good....

I dont believe in hell,

well, just because i do not believe in trucks does not make it so, and if i step out in front of a truck that i do not believe in does not mean i am safe from getting flattened...

I want to go to hell where all my friends are going...

you will not be able to find your friends, God is light, and the absence of light is dark.... they will be in eternal torment just as anyone else that is there....

I dont believe in God, cause i can not see Him...

do you believe in air? can you see air? yet it supplies you with life for your blood.....

your not suppose to judge me ( actia;;u a statment used as an excuse to be able to continue on with their current activity of living in sin )

not exactly correct, by what measure i judge, so shall i be judged, and we all know that the Word of God has actually done the Judging for us.....

anyways, it would be a good thing to llook up all the scripture on the subj......ask the Spirit of God to guide you and show you the correct answer.....

mostly, i get the statement from people that we are not suppose to judge, when they are just trying to get around the guilty feeling of being caught doing something wrong.... and most of them are proclaimed Christians, that you will see repeating the same offences over and over again.....

we do have to remember to ensure we are not being legalistic about it and ensure we have their best interest at hand and tha twe have taken the log out of our own eyes... so we can help them with the speck in theirs.....

judge in love.... do not belittle.... do in private with out public announcement..... in accordance with the Word of God.... do not use this as a gosip time or event either.....

mike