IGNORED

Should Christians study other religions?

Guest tygra

Should Christians study, or understand, other religions like Islam, Buddhism, etc  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Should Christians study, or understand, other religions like Islam, Buddhism, etc

• No, it is evil to do so.
    • No because it might harm your faith or lead you astray
    • No, there is just no point in it and it would waste time
    • Maybe, if you are personally curious about it
    • Sure, to understand a non-Christian friend's p.o.v.
    • Yes, it's good to know the faith of those you witness to
    • Yes, just to be educated
    • Some other idea
    • No opinion

Hi,

I wondered what you all thought about Christian's exploring, studying or learning about other religions. I don't mean reading to convert but just being educated and aware of what different people believe in order to dispel myths about them and to avoid confusion. Good idea or no in your opinion?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i believe that, IF you are strong and confident in your own faith, that it is important to learn the basic tenets of other religions. it's much easier to witness to individuals if you understand where they are coming from. it also prevents you from being taken off guard and stumped when they try to counter your own faith with their own twist on it. for instance, mormonism and JW have many similarities to Christianity. if you don't understand the subtleties, you may not be prepared to point out how those subtle differences don't stand up to biblical scrutiny.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  69
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/07/1974

I have spent hours studying other religions and cults.

I think that before you open a Koran or Book of Moron, er Book of Mormon, you should pray that God would shield you from the lies they contain and pray for the Holy Spirit to show you the errors.

But before you talk with someone, you need to be prayed up.

Only witness if you can do it in a real loving manner.

Let your love light shine! :huh:

I have spent hours studying other religions and cults.

I think that before you open a Koran or Book of Moron, er Book of Mormon, you should pray that God would shield you from the lies they contain and pray for the Holy Spirit to show you the errors.

But before you talk with someone, you need to be prayed up.

Only witness if you can do it in a real loving manner.

Let your love light shine! :huh:

very good point! never study other religions without praying first!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

Can be a good idea IF you are spiritually mature, knowledgeable of the Word and strong in the faith. If you are smart enough to know what the Armor of God is and wear it, then yes. I needed to study Islam somewhat to be prepared for the jail ministry.

BAD idea if you are new to the Christian faith and still on milk. At this point, you are not ready to witness to anyone and should concentrate on growing in your understanding, reading His Word and learning to walk in the faith.

How long? Depends on the person.

A young man, who had just come to Christ a year earlier and had just finished rehab, attended the men's Sunday school class I was teaching. This young fella began trying to teach us and eventually quit coming because he branded us "heretics". For what reason, I don't know. Regardless, it wasn't long after that he was down in the worst part of town where all the drug deals take place witnessing to everyone who would listen. Sounds awesome, doesn't it? It wasn't very long before he was back on drugs. The point here? Grow first and only go where the Spirit leads you...and that includes studying false religions.

Blessings,

Wayne

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,098
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

The point here? Grow first and only go where the Spirit leads you...and that includes studying false religions.

Blessings,

Wayne

You are so right about only going where the spirit tells you to go. I can tell you from experience that studying other religions will eventually end up on Satan

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  764
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

If you can show where Christ or His Apostled studied the other religions of their day, you might have an argument. But My Bible tells me to meditate In Gods word all the time. that don't leave me no time for them others. I grew up in one of them, and that hasn't help me in the least to present The Truth to them, only way to present Truth is to know The Truth.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  353
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

Fellow Saints,

Blessings and salutations in the Most High God! I won't state my personal opinion on this matter as I started a thread once on this very topic. I would however, like to share a story I heard just the other week.

A Brother in Christ told me of a movie trailer he watched for a Christian movie. It dealt with 2 brothers who had not seen each other in a long time. One was a Christian and the other had become a Muslim overseas. The brother was really excited about seeing his brother after such a long time and kept telling everyone about it. In preperation for it, he began studying all these books on Islam to get information in order to witness to his brother and would observe his brother in his different things he did, such as prayer.

One day, the brother who was a Muslim confronted the brother about it saying:

"Look man, I know what you're trying to do."

And the brother said "what are you talking about?"

And the Muslim brother said, "I know what you're trying to do. You're wanting me to become a Christian."

And the brother was like "yeah, that would be awesome. I would love nothing more than to see you give your life to the Lord."

And the Muslim brother said, "I have 2 problems with your Christianity. First thing is, that you say this Book holds all the answers you'll ever need to know in life...but this whole time you have been studying these books written by men on the Muslim faith to try to witness to me. If this Book (Bible) really held all the answers, then you wouldn't need these books. Second is, I don't see your passion about this Christianity. I sit there and no matter what I'm doing, pray 5 times a day. How many times do you pray? Where is your passion? I can't be apart of something that you can't be passionate about."

Now I tried to quote all that from memory the best I could, but you get the jist of what was said. Blessings...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  764
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

I will give a hearty Amen!!!!

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  38
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  12/19/1974

By myeself studying other religions I was able to see for 310% that God's word is the only word. I was born in raised in one particular religion and studied enough about it to see what they claim to be God's word is indeed only the parts that fit their needs at the time. heck they didn't even have the Holy bibles in the pews!