IGNORED

marriage, stepfamilies and faith

Guest becca33

Guest becca33

hi. i am a new christian that is trying how to fit my faith an my hopes into my family. i am recently married and between us we have 3 children. (none together). my stepson who is 5 wants me and my husband to fight the whole time he is with us. i should state this is also a biracial marriage. i try to be a good stepmom but i feel prayer is not helping. i don't know what to do. i read my bible and i search my soul but i don't know what to do? i love my husband and i am against divorce but i feel there may be no other option. can someone offer some suggestions to help? :thumbsup:

Of course there is going to be a settling in period in your marriage and that is usually without children. You have entered this union with a ready made family and when you think about it, there are 4 adults involved in the parenting. The 5 yearold will be acting up which is his way of showing outwardly what he feels inside. This adjusting period may continue for a few years yet and you say this is an inter racial marriage which also has prejudices of it's own. You have to keep praying because the whole thing will be hard and trying. Keep your faith up, don't give in when the going get's tuff and believe me, I know when kids test your limits, as well as the normal male/female relationship. Keep going there is light at the end of the tunnel.

show your stepson and the other children a biblical model of marriage. you and your husband really need to get some pastoral counseling... or some sort of marriage counseling, and from a christian counselor.

never fight in front of the kids. you and hubby discuss this together and agree that under no circumstances will you argue in front of them... all disagreements need to be in private. the kids might hear through the door if you're not careful, but when that door is open and you are in front of the kids, do NOT fight. ALWAYS present a united front, even if that means you support your husband when he's wrong. (you can chew him out for it later, but in front of the little ones, you support him because he is the head of the household, and the authority in the home.)

also make an agreement that matters of discipline will always be discussed together prior to punishing the kids... ANY of the kids, yours, his, or ya'lls. and again, that needs to be done behind closed doors.

by the way, is your husband a christian? if he is, that will make this a little easier, hopefully. if it's not, your biblical submission may very well help lead him to Christ.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  970
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

I agree with Lady C on this one. I cannot express enough for Christian counseling and setting boundaries for your children with your husband.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Welcome!

Moved from the Worthy Welcome Forum to the Having a Problem? Looking for Advise Forum?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  543
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/15/1966

I'm praying for you all! Blended families come with their own set of challenges - but the Lord absolutely blesses!

By the way, are you attending church as a family? This can be a huge, wonderful foundation to build everything on.