• Days Won:  0

HUH???????????????

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LadyC
HUH???????????????

we got a bit off topic when the discussion turned to cousins marrying. yes, God sanctions marriages between cousins. some states do not. 20/20 is doing a segment on the topic. my role in that segment is two-fold... 1) my area of expertise is regarding the legal, social, historical, and biblical perspectives on cousin marriage (i.e. consanguinity), and am often sought out by the media to discuss the issue. 2) being married to my own cousin, i permitted 20/20 to film the renewal of my vows for the segment.

i do have extensive knowledge of the genetic aspect also, but i always defer to the knowledge of the real experts in that area... the president of the NSGC was also interviewed for the segment.

it is supposed to air this coming friday, but since this past friday's episode was pre-empted, it may have changed the schedule for the airing of the one i was in. i'll find out tomorrow.

did that clear up your confusion?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  669
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  09/04/1986

QUOTE (Nicks Girl @ Feb 28 2004, 09:36 AM)

back then their blood lines were much more pure still. Remember, Adam and Eve were perfect, and so their children, grandchildren, etc, had very little genetic problems. Nowadays, many many many years later, there are alot more health and genetic issues to deal with(if you are going to have children with someone). In most states it is illegal to marry your first cousin, because of the genetic aspect. The blood lines would be too close, causing alot of risks.

But nevertheless, it is a sin to sleep with someone you aren't married to.

Guest LadyC
Lady C: I was pretty sure that there were only two states left that allowed first cousins to marry. I would definitely be more interested in hearing more about this, if you don't mind. Also, where you're getting your information from. I know that all through the Bible there were cousins who married, and even up until the last century it was a common practice. You said God sanctioned marriage between first cousins, but he also said for us to obey the Laws of the land.

where do i get my info? i've been researching this subject for six years. during the course of that research i've studied the laws of every state in this country and those of many countries around the world. consider the following:

First cousins may legally marry in:

AK, AL, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, HI, MD, MA, NJ, NM, NY, NC, RI, SC, TN, TX, VT, VA

and Washington DC

they may also marry in the following states IF the couple is unable to bear children or are over a certain age (usually corresponding with childbearing age): AZ, IL, UT, IN

they may marry in ME if they first submit to genetic counseling.

they may marry in MN if they are jewish, indian (middle-east) or from any other aborigional culture which allows it.

in the following states, couples can not legally marry, (unless they fall into the exceptions categories as listed above) BUT, the law allows them to leave the state for the purpose of marrying elsewhere and will recognize the marriage as valid upon their return: IN, KS, LA, NE, OK, WA, WV, WY, IL, and

MI

the last list of states is not all-inclusive. they're only the ones i could find specific laws allowing for 'evasion of state law to marry'. the full faith and credit act might cover all other states, but i do not recommend anyone break the law to find out.

cousins may also marry in every country of Europe, every province of Canada, throughout austrailia, mexico, most of asia, etc. etc. (notable exceptions, where cousins can not marry, include the philipines and china.)

second cousins, by the way, can marry anywhere in the world.

you are correct, God commands us to obey the laws of the land. i never suggest a person break a law to marry a cousin. if cousins are not legally allowed to marry in their state, i do encourage a couple to contact their legislators to get the law changed.

for further information regarding laws, genetics, history, and religious perspectives, you can check out my (other) website... C.U.D.D.L.E. International (cousins unitied to defeat discriminating laws through education) where the information is extensive, but not complete. i include sources of information where necessary. some state legislative websites where legal info is sourced from have changed, and i need to update with new links... also, the laws-explained page is down... another casualty of trying to update. you see, the person who generously hosts my site at no charge needs to install the memory upgrade i purchased for his server before i can upload any updates to the site... it was while trying to upload an update that i lost one of the pages.

so it is not disobeying the laws of the land for one to marry a cousin in most states.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  38
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  12/19/1974

Well there are many people who are so very thankful for research done on cousin relationships. I myself will be married to my first cousin on October 2 2004. If people really knew my story you would know this isn't wrong morally or other wise. I have never been happier. I know God love us and doesn't find this a sin. I do live in a state that allows marriage and am working hard to pass a law or get one passed for the state of Missouri. :il:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  669
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  09/04/1986

I guess it just seems like a "taboo" subject. To me, it's like marrying your brother. (or sister, as the case may be)First cousins are close relatives.

I didn't realize that it was legal in so many states. Whatever floats your boat.

God bless.

Guest LadyC
I guess it just seems like a "taboo" subject. To me, it's like marrying your brother. (or sister, as the case may be)First cousins are close relatives.

I didn't realize that it was legal in so many states. Whatever floats your boat.

God bless.

hmmm, and i thought you said you were interested in learning more for a reason. anyway, regarding it being too much like a sibling...

when i was a teenager, my older brother's best friend of many years moved in with us, and stayed a member of our household for several years to come. i recall one night when we were home alone, and decided to push the envelope a bit. we didn't "make out" for very long. we both kinda looked at each other with this sheepish look and admitted that it felt gross, like kissing a sibling.

such was not the case with my cousin. i married him, and have never felt that 'yuk' feeling. why did it feel so gross to kiss jay, but perfectly normal to kiss my cousin? because...

my cousin and i had never had to race to see who got the bathroom first.

we never fought over who got the last peace of chicken-fried steak.

we never competed for the attention of my parents.

need i go on? people who grow up in the same town don't feel that same familiality (sense of family) as they do those who live under the same roof. mark and i grew up knowing each other. he was just another guy at school.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  171
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

by the way, for those who are interested, i will be appearing on 20/20 next friday discussing the issue of cousin marriage. about 25 hours of filming went into the segment, and i'm sure it has been edited down to less than 20 minutes... and experience tells me that it is very likely that all references to the Biblical perspective will have been cut. the genetics, facts vs. myths, will more than likely remain the focus of the segment.

I would love to see this. If you do find out when it will be on can you PM me? If you can't I'll just keep an eye on 20/20. I do like that show anyway.

Guest LadyC

LOL, well... it comes on at 10 pm on channel 13 here in las vegas!!! :t2:

i think it airs at 10 eastern, 9 central, but i can't swear to it. the network is your local ABC channel.