• Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

Know Your Enemy.doc

Saints,

Last month, my wife and I attended a Bible conference in which we met an awesome man of God. His name is James McDonald with Walk in the Word Ministry. Through his teaching, the teaching of other pastors and the awesome atmosphere of worship at the conference, we were fired up for the Lord...the fire in our hearts stoked with the Word of God and the breath of the Holy Spirit! Then we came home to problems that immediately bogged us down...so severe at first that I even missed going into the jail to minister the night after we got back. We were chumps... I mean the Enemy got us good!

That week, I began to download some podcasts from James' website and he happened to be in a series about spiritual warfare (In it to Win it) with two of the podcasts being a two-part sermon on the Ten Things You Should Know about Satan. It was a great study and my eyes were opened wide to the spiritual assault we were under. That Saturday, while my wife taught at a Women's Bible and Health conference, I stayed home and worked on a Study series using the podcast from brother James. I spent five hours writing the outline and preparing for teaching it in the jail beginning the following Monday night. It was tough to get through...it seemed that everything that could distract me popped up. Phone calls, problems with my laptop, and the likes...nothing serious, just distractions. Regardless, I got through it.

My thoughts when I began preparing the study was that before we know the Enemy, we need to know Who we serve!!! So that is where I started and ended up with a 3-part study starting with Know Who You Serve, then moving on to the Ten Things You Should Know about Satan and finishing up with the Top Three Ways to Fight the Enemy.

It took four weeks to teach... about 6 hours! It was an awesome experience. One of the nights, Satan used one of the inmates to offend some of the other inmates and they left the study that night...but they came back the next week! The night I finished with the Ten Things You should Know part, an inmate came to me after and confided that he had intended to attack (he said kill) another inmate who had made him angry but after the study, his eyes were opened to the fact that the Enemy of God was playing him for a chump!!! We prayed together and he was back the next Monday night, taking notes on how to fight the Enemy!

The focus of my ministry in the jails has been and will remain to be Jesus Christ and the HOPE found ONLY in HIM.

BUT...I am seeing it more clearly now than ever before in my own life, the lives of others and the world that tries to consume us... there is a BATTLE going on (yup, knew that...nothing new) but most of the brethren are NOT prepared to fight!!! The Enemy is strong and his minions outnumber us, I believe by a wide margin!! Yet, if we stand firm with God's Armor properly fitted, the Enemy will not only leave us but he will flee from us!!! Why? ...because we have Jesus Christ on our side!

So here is the outline of the study, attached as a Word document. There is a lot more meat to it but I work off outlines only and let the Holy Spirit fill in the blanks.  All I can say is that it opened my eyes and seemed to have made a difference in the lives of about 60 inmates!!  Keep in mind, this outlined turned into a 6-hour sermon/lesson!

UPDATE:  Although I no longer go into the jail and prison, I still use this outline to teach in our church.  I believe that we ALL need to be aware and knowledgeable when it comes to the Enemy and his tactics.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,249
  • Content Per Day:  0.37

Well, I have never had the desire to go to jail before, but I would have loved to have heard the full version of this. This was really good and the timing was excellent. Satan certainly knows where to attack me and I seem to fall for it most of the time. :)

Thank you Wayne for sharing this with us! :24:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Overall, I must say 'bravo!' But I do have a problem with #10, reproduced below for your convenience.

10. He is a defeated enemy!!! He loses; we win through Christ. 1 John 3:8; Colossians 2:15; Revelation 20:10. Such confidence as this is ours through Christ before God. [2 Corinthians 3:4]

The author switches from a present tense to a future tense. If satan IS defeated, then we HAVE WON--not 'we win' as the author has it.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4

Well, I have never had the desire to go to jail before, but I would have loved to have heard the full version of this. This was really good and the timing was excellent. Satan certainly knows where to attack me and I seem to fall for it most of the time. :)

Thank you Wayne for sharing this with us! :24:

:angel2: You know sister? Funny thing is that I never wanted to or thought I'd minister in a jail either. I am a modern day Jonah! :angel2: ...except it didn't take 3 days in the belly of a fish to convince me. :24:

Overall, I must say 'bravo!' But I do have a problem with #10, reproduced below for your convenience.

10. He is a defeated enemy!!! He loses; we win through Christ. 1 John 3:8; Colossians 2:15; Revelation 20:10. Such confidence as this is ours through Christ before God. [2 Corinthians 3:4]

The author switches from a present tense to a future tense. If satan IS defeated, then we HAVE WON--not 'we win' as the author has it.

:) I'm the author and your point is well taken Leonard. :24:

...BUT although we have won, we still are in the battle and must stand firm (Ephesians 6:14, Philipians 4:1; Matthew 24:13) until the end. The context, I think, is like Hitler during WWII. Many historians, to include German high commanders, believed that Nazi Germany was defeated the minute the United States entered the war and Hitler declared war on us. Some believe it was preset the day he declared war on the Soviet Union opening a two-front war. The outcome of many wars have been determined long before they ended. Regardless, it was obvious to ALL, Hitler included, that his defeat was secured by the Allies far before the war ended. He was biding for time, trying to cover up his wickedness and save his own neck. So Satan is defeated but we haven't quite won yet since the battle is still raging. We are still running the race and unfortunately, there are still many who have yet to put on their running shoes. Regardless, I think it is semantics... we have His promise and He said on the cross, "It is finished". Amen.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,249
  • Content Per Day:  0.37

Well, I have never had the desire to go to jail before, but I would have loved to have heard the full version of this.

Whoops Wayne! I don't think that you understood this comment of mine. I meant as an inmate to hear you preach this message!!! :)

Well, I have never had the desire to go to jail before, but I would have loved to have heard the full version of this.

Whoops Wayne! I don't think that you understood this comment of mine. I meant as an inmate to hear you preach this message!!! :24:

:24: I caught it Afal... I never wanted to go either way though...as a visitor or a resident. :) Just call me Jonah!

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.58
  • Days Won:  1

Good post, bro

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10